Author Topic: Agusta 109 help & tips?  (Read 2534 times)

EHM-1921 Ivan

Agusta 109 help & tips?
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:50:15 pm »
Hi
The last few days I'm trying to fly the agusta 109, but I just can't land it. In 8 out of 10 attempts to land, I crash. So can anyone give me some tips about this aircraft?
And another thing - the payload is false. It must be 5000 and something, but it's 3200. And I'm missing the airspeed indicator gauge... (At least there's an empty gauge...socket?)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Agusta 109 help & tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:05:04 pm »
Hi Ivan,

flying the helicopters is a totally different business from the airplanes. But when I flew the Augusta, I did not find too much difference between our 2 copters.

I used to land with a little forward speed (2-4 kts) and decrease the throttle to reach a nice descend.

About the speed gauge, I cannot say anything. I remember I had it working !

Maybe some regular helicopter flyers can give better explanation about techniques.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

EHM-1539 Pierre

Agusta 109 help & tips?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:10:00 am »
I wish to stress the importance of rudders with choppers.
You should deactivate the autorudder coordination to fly them, because in realistic mode, you need for exemple to apply left rudder when increasing collective, and right when you decrease it (depends on helicopters, could be the opposite with some manufacturers, like Aerospatiale a while ago if I'm not mistaken), the stator coordination is not synchrone alone, it needs action from the pilot.
To land those, the best is to get headwind at around 50 knots, and decrease altitude as well as speed smoothly, to avoid ending in hovering, that is hard to keep when in ground effect if you fly realistically with no rudder.

I think if i remember the lessons in FS were not too bad for the basics, now I didn't try the Agusta, forgive me if it's irrelevant.

Now, for the airspeed gauge, until your problem is fixed you will have to monitor it with shift+z :)
Just keep some speed like Robert said until the very last moment, and be very smooth with the yoke and collective. If you pull it too fast, the chopper will spin.

EHM-1921 Ivan

Agusta 109 help & tips?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:07:30 am »
Well.. I was doing all that anyways, but still 10x:)
But as much as I can say there's a big difference in the handling of the bell 407 and the agusta 109. I find the agusta a lot harder to handle, but it's more interesting, because of the virtual cockpit, the autopilot and the wheels. Still I haven't mastered landing it, so there will be some time before flying it on propilot.

About the airspeed gauge: I opened the panel.cfg and a lot of gauges where taken from the fs bell helicopter. But I don't know which number is the airspeed gauge, so don't know what to write in the .cfg file...

anything