Author Topic: Historic Dutch East Indies Route Event - Reports  (Read 17470 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Historic Dutch East Indies Route Event - Reports
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »
I am a lucky man!
I got to fly leg 09 to VIJO three times toady!

First one my FSX just said "pufff" when I was about to get leveled off at FL350.

Restarted the PC, got the whole circus up and running again, only to get to a holding pattern I had programmed over JJO, to have a good look around, a slow descend, and then a visual landing. NOT... I made the mistake of switching to the flightlogger to see if I really got it penalty-free this time. Huge mistake. I could switch back to FS, but then I was looking at a black screen. I could hear the autothrottle  do its thing while in the holding pattern. I could also see in Flogger that the pattern was performed beautifully, but also that my fuel was running out. I even tried to have FSX in a window instead of full screen, but all to no avail ... Restart :(

Third time around, I was determined to not have all that again, so once the logger was runnng, and I was up in the air, I just staid in cockpit view and did the very same flight again...
I must say: there are some lights around the runway, and two bright flashing lights on the airport terrain, but without PAPI's in a reasonably dense fog layer for the last 1500 ft, that visual landing was quite a challenge. Luckily I could still see the ground all the time, and I was in a nice steady, slow descend, with a good aim for the runway already when I hit the fog bank. So I did not have to correct too much when I got the runway in sight (just about at "minimums"...) and landed safely.

Oh, yes, in FSX if you take the rwy 23 approach, then at about 2/3 of the runway on the right is a fuel station again... With no taxiways or parkings, that was just about where I wanted to turn off the runway...

Now I really gotta go out and buy me a new PC. This one is pushing it to the limit almost every day.

Cheers!
Eric-Jan
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »
This is what I call "cutting it close", for as far as visibility goes @ VECC half an hour ago...

EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:08 pm »
I hope you've got some good radio aids there or, if not, a really good night vision scope  ;D
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:03 am »
Yup! This was on the ILS 01R, at at about decision height.
I deliberately chose the 12.000 ft rwy 01R/19L, because the METAR said visibility was 5000, BECMG 4000. And it was already getting dark as I left VIAL...

That choice gave me an extra 4000 ft over runway 01L/19R for that last bit of descend ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:05 am »
Well, the bucks stop here! Just finished the next to the last leg. As I am leaving Saturday for an overseas job assignment during the next 4 weeks I will miss the chance to fly the last leg and finish the tour. Good luck to everybody.
However, I would like to report a very strange situation: after landing and when I was taxiing  just before turning to arrive at the gate, FS took me back again to short final. Just like that. Without vaseline. I was waiting for some fatal PP announcement (remembering Manila) but nothing happened. I landed again with my knees shacking. I was so scared that I stopped on the runway and shot the engines out right there.
I told the passengers to run for their life and I rushed to the toilett. 

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:12 am »
However, I would like to report a very strange situation: after landing and when I was taxiing  just before turning to arrive at the gate, FS took me back again to short final. Just like that. Without vaseline. I was waiting for some fatal PP announcement (remembering Manila) but nothing happened. I landed again with my knees shacking. I was so scared that I stopped on the runway and shot the engines out right there.
I told the passengers to run for their life and I rushed to the toilett. 

My goodness, how very odd Hector! I've never had anything like that happen but it goes to show how MSFS can throw surprises at you anytime. Well done for landing safely and looking out for your passengers welfare before getting away to the WC  ;D

Good luck for your work assignment ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management