Author Topic: Wild division tour, online legs discussion  (Read 28970 times)

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Re: Wild division tour, online legs discussion
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 12:14:33 am »
It's 12 minutes of tuesday the 9th and I just remembered I was supposed to fly with you guys... I'm sorry I didn't turn up, the day was eventful and it just completely slipped my mind.
I'll be flying this leg... "today" afternoon...
Again if I left you waiting, I'm terribly sorry. I should have set some sort of alarm.

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »
That's OK, Mariano. We did wait a bit to see if you would show up, but we had enough to sort out with connection problems etc. to only leave at 2000Z anyways. Better luck next time.

We (Bruce T, Trevor, and myself) tried to VFR through the Rockies as planned. Here's an impression of our adventure.

First, a little show-off: our new Jack Wolfskin attire for the division crew :)

Trevor uses FS9, where I use FSX, so there is a slight mismatch in parking spots.

Bruce came online, first with FS9, later with FSX. He's the Beech B1900D, so you can tell them apart ;)

Off we go! into a low-overcast valley. Things start out tense already!

It looks like it will be valley crawling to stay below cloud.
With Trevor on my 5 o'clock, just past waypoint 1:

Searching for a way to get OVER the hills, while staying BELOW the clouds...

Looks like following this highway is going to make life easy for a VFR pilot

But hey, where did that highway go, all of a sudden?

Soon, the snow subsided, and we only had fog.

Then, we had a touch of nice weather again.
BTW, that's Trevor, at my 5 o'clock low.

Soon to be followed by snow again  :)

I went in first, but couldn't figure out in time how to capture the ILS on this bird.
So a very low visual approach it was...   :o

Soon to be followed by Trevor

And Bruce  :)

One for the company yearbook  :)
Top to bottom:
EHM-2131 Bruce Thomas
EHM-1829 Trevor Bolton
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

As you can see from the last three pictures, I captured the landing of my companions. I made a short movie from that:
EHW leg05.mp4

(best viewed full screen in HD; double-click to play from YouTube directly)

Thanks Bruce and Trevor for the company; hope to see you next time too.
Follow this thread to find out when exactly.

Cheers,
Eric-Jan
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 03:02:59 pm »

No problem Mariano, see you on the next leg.

Nice write-up and pics E-J and to top that, a great paint job.

Their was no chance of weather smoothing on that leg, from t/o to landing all i saw was the instruments. ;D 

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
Great pictures and movie Eric-Jan, a great meet up and flight, some exciting weather during the flight, Bruce T.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
Haha, LOL! Thanks, guys :)

Don't go expecting this kind of report every leg, now. I was tied to the house these last days with an intestinal bacteria thinghy. Higly contagious; even the dog had to suffer it.. But as of tomorrow, I'll be back to work again.

Not sure if leg 6 will be during the weekend, for me, or on Monday evening, again.

For now, let's say Monday 15th, anywhere between 1900Z and 2000Z, like yesterday.
KPIH-KSMN via PIH and LKT VORs. East of Mt. Corruption, then West of Red Point, then along the 93 through the pass to Lehmi. And all that can be done at 5500 ft, if clouds permit ... ;)

See y'all up there!
E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
Well, flying leg 6 right now is a no go on IVAO, weather is socked in at KSMN (2SM visibility, snow, cloud almost to the ground...) I'm most of the way there at 14000 (still in cloud, but at least the turbulence has stopped), but if the weather doesn't improve I'll turn around and go back to Pocatello.

UPDATE: Weather did improve as I descended into Salmon (visibility was good enough for a long visual approach)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:00:35 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 09:47:03 pm »
Well, leg 06 id definitely not going to be during this weekend, for me! I've been booked full with back-to-back appointments for both days.

I'll fly on Monday, the 15th, and will be at the apron after 1900Z, in order to take off no later than 2000Z. If Anybody wishes to join me on IVAO, then please do :)
If I feel up to it, I might even take on leg 7 right after that...
We'll see.
Ciao,
E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »

Hi E-J
     Flying leg 6 on Monday evening will be fine for me mate. It would be great to see a few more pilots; that’s if
     they can wait that long. ;D
     cheers
     T

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 11:44:10 pm »
Sorry Trevor (and any others that may have secretly planned to join), but I just found out that my clearance for next Monday has been revoked due to my in-laws being married that day for 47 years. And that calls for free beer! So I'll be squeezing in leg 6 on Sunday morning somewhere, but the actual time will depend on my liver function this night (I had a couple already...)

I hope that you reed this in time... :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:22 pm »

No probs Erik-Jan, ;) That’s one great thing about this hobby, having no real time restraints so we fly when we can.
     We would not want it any other way.
     Enjoy the calibrations mate.
     Cheers
     T
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:50:52 pm by EHM-1829 Trevor »

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »
WARNING!!!

DO NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to fly leg 7 on IVAO with IVAO weather tonight. KTHM has thick fog down to the ground, and without a nearby weather station you're not going to find out until you get there. Did not enjoy my landing tonight...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 08:34:19 pm »
Weather has been dreadful the last few legs.  :-\
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:18 pm »
I'm still enjoying it though; what we get for trying to run this kind of event, in this region, this late in the year ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:13:26 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2010, 04:50:09 am »
So a couple of nights ago I logged in to IVAO hoping to find some people to fly with following Eric-Jen's 1900z monday suggestion, and luckily Trevor was there, making a warm-up flight around the airfield and having fun while waiting, to tell me EJ had some personal commitments of the party kind :D Hope you had fun E-J

While pre checking and making sure everything was fine, which took me a long time cos not long before the flight, ivap had decided it's "weather" was not installed properly. So I had to reinstall ivap, a process which should have been easier, but I found 2 installations of it in my computer for some reason. Uninstalled both, downloaded the latest version again for good measure, installed it and run the weather fix thing it told me to run.

After all check's been done Franz showed up to join us, and when we were about to start up our engines when Yannick showed up. I hadn't met him till now but soon he joined us in chat and as I started my engines up (a lengthy process that might take 2 or 3 reloads of the aircraft, for some reason) the others did their checks and started theirs as well. I started taxiing first cos I wanted to see if the engines were really running. Management gave me the oldest twin otter on the fleet to fly so I have to be sure  ;D

At last we were all ready to go and holding on the runway header waiting for Yannick to finish taxiing.
It's me on the foreground of course and from left to right Trevor, Franz and Yannick.

After my takeoff I turned north and started climbing normally, but soon knew things weren't normal cos for the first time in this whole tour I get a BOOP BOOP WINDSHEER that almost gave me a heart attack. Surely enough, IVAO's weather was getting crazy, shoving me left and right like a leaf. 30 knot winds changed 180 degrees with no previous warning. Franz suggested it could be FSUIPC not being registered (and so, not having wind smoothing), but honestly it had never happened before.

I got 5 more Windsheer warnings before I chickened out and descended to below 9500 to avoid chop. At this point I was so worried with flying the thing that navigating it, and following my mates, was very secondary. When things had settled down, I found out I was 10 miles west of where I was supposed to be (where everyone else was). So I leveled out, sort of plotted my course towards the airfield and enjoyed the scenary as my heart slowed down.

My ordeal wasn't over though, when my internet connection decided to give up. I knew at this point my flight wouldn't be submittable as per pro-pilot regulation so I cursed out loud, reconnected, and for some reason I couldn't see anyone else any more on the airplane views. I could chat with them, see them on my TCAS, but just couldn't see them at all. So I decided I'd hold right outside the valley that runs towards the airfield as they landed so they could give me a clear strip for me to land blindly on to.
I thought, by the maps I had seen, that it'd be a matter of following the valley and that alone would line me up with the runway, but right before it there's a huge mountain which I should have checked earlier. So I was surprised to have to climb so close to the final. A challenging approach, always enjoyable and the most fun part bush flying for me.

I came in hot as a meteor in terms of height but trying to keep my airspeed controlled. It was one of my best landings so far with this bird... didn't skip once.  :D

I taxied out of the runway and parked hoping I hadn't parked on top of everyone, as they were still invisible for me.

All in all it was a fun flight although I would have liked to do some more formation flying. d**n you, winds.

Also Yannick reported having crashed due to his landing gear not being down? Do you guys confirm his PP reports him crashing? I thought that was really odd... Hope things get sorted out Yannick, if you sunk into the runway cos of some FS shannanigans, I'm sure management can restore your airplane for you.

One last thing, my pilot profile (the one I access from the main website) says my pilot status is 'removed' (understandably I hadn't flown since July before this wild tour) but it also has my flights logged. I'm sure it's something about these flights not being ordinary ones and as soon as I fly a non-PP scheduled flight it'd go back to active, but just something to look at if someone gets bored some day ;)

I'm leaving for a small tiny mini family vacation in Sevilla, Spain, in about... well 5 hours, so can't join in any weekend flying you guys might happen to have, but it'd be really nice if we could all get together for the last leg, as many people as possible. Let's come up with a day and hour and start spreading the word!

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:21 am »
it'd be really nice if we could all get together for the last leg, as many people as possible. Let's come up with a day and hour and start spreading the word!
Thanks for sharing your fly experiences Mariano :D and I'll be there (KTHM) saturday 20 or sunday 21 around 21:15 GTM for our last leg :)
PS: If the majority propose another day, of course I'll try to be, but I'm not sure to be with you before 21:00UTC. Family commitments ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:42:45 am by EHM-2589 David »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm back on the grid again!
Had a party to go to, indeed, last Monday. So I flew my KPIH-KSMN very early Sunday morning already. Back-to-back stuff with work, and a course I had to stay over in a hotel for up to this afternoon. So that's why I've been so "quiet" last couple of days.

I will take on the KSMN-KTHM challenge next Monday from 1900Z (PC start-up time) ;) That will be the last day we are allowed to do that leg, so I better get there in one try ;)

After that, there's the final leg. I don't think I will be flying two legs in one evening, so any group date would have to be Tuesday or later. I will not be available on Friday evening (another birthday party ;)  ;D) so my suggestion for the FINAL LEG, KTHM-CYCG, will be
Wednesday, 24 November, 1900Z PC start-up time

Hope to see the all of youz there, then!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:52 pm »
Hello all.
I'm back home from my little family vacation in Seville, Spain. Drove almost 1,000 kilometers in 3 days so I'm pretty tired. I'll fly leg 7 tomorrow, and leg 8 on wednesday then? Or did you fly it already E-J?
Anyone in for it too? Let me/us know so we wait for you at the tarmac.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:07 am »
Welcome back, Mariano. I hope you enjoyed your stay over in Seville.

I'm still up for leg 7 this evening, and leg 8 on Wednesday, as I advertised above. So if you (or anybody else ... ) are there to join me, all the better!
I was thinking of sticking to the route as published on the event page, at 6500 or there about (in between the mountains, to make it more exciting (depending on weather, of cause).

I hope to "see" you this evening!
E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 07:31:39 pm »
I'm sitting on the tarmac on my own... Feeling lonely... :P
Where's everybody?

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator