Author Topic: Pro Pilot Penalties  (Read 4479 times)

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Pro Pilot Penalties
« on: October 17, 2005, 04:19:01 pm »
On my second flight I was awarded penalties for descending at a rate in excess of 4500 ft/min, this rate of descent was determined by the FMC and not by myself. I was flying the PMDG 738 at FL360  and descended to FL250 by reducing the altitude setting then pressed the LVL CHG button, which is the recommended procedure, the FMC set a descent rate of 6000 ft/min. Is this an error in the PMDG FMC, if so all pilots will receive penalties if they use this procedure.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

EHM-1365 Benjamin

Pro Pilot Penalties
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:35:37 pm »
The PMDG FMC has never made me descend at that rate before :|

I just use the VNAV and let it recommend the point to start descents, which are not at a rate of more than 3000fpm....i think.

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Pro Pilot Penalties
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 05:01:41 pm »
Hi Ben, I agree that a descent can be initiated in the way you describe, however in the PMDG manual "Flight Techniques" it states that the procedure that I used is a correct procedure. I have just set up the aircraft at FL360 and initiated a descent to FL250 as I originally did and the descent rate was 6200 ft/min. What my concern is, any pilot who uses the same method that I used, they will receive penalties. Please try it for yourself and let me know the result.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

EHM-1365 Benjamin

Pro Pilot Penalties
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 05:07:01 pm »
Hi Bruce, I'll check that out later.
Right now I made a stupid mistake to fly from LPPT->KIAD, and I was given a route that takes me easterly up to Ireland to pick up a NAT track. A lot longer than I was expecting ;). Also turns out there are more chances to get penalties on long flights. Dreading my score now...

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
Pro Pilot Penalties
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 05:44:40 pm »
Just to let you know, I know it isn't a Euroharmony Livery (Yet!) but I flew a flight in the PSS A320 Pro last night and had exactly the same problem, (Decending at a rate greater than 4500 fpm) although on the PSS Airbus, the FMC will automatically overide the manual decent rate if you are in Approach mode, so you have no way of combating this little problem. I know it's my own fault for flying the PSS, but I love it and enjoy using it.

cheers,

Phil

EDIT: Also on the PSS, when you raise your gear, it turns out landing lights in FS9 also landing lights will not come on until you lower your gear! d**n the PSS!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
Pro Pilot Penalties
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 07:14:05 pm »
Unfortunately we need to stick to this penalty in order to haev more smooth flights.

I am sure you can program your FMC to make a more softer descend mode.

Regards,