Author Topic: \"Report on the blocks\"  (Read 6042 times)

EHM-1798 Conrad

\"Report on the blocks\"
« on: January 27, 2007, 12:40:26 pm »
A lot of controllers on IVAO and VATSIM ask pilots to "Report On The Blocks", this also includes a large amount of pilots.

This term seems to have been "devised" just from the online networks... Once an aircraft is at the gate/stand, ATC doesn't have any control over the aircraft and anything regarding the aircraft. For example, you do not need to ask for any form of clearance once your at the gate (ie engine shutdown).

I tend to ask pilots "Taxi to stand 313, via Bravo & Foxtrot, report leaving the frequency".

If you get asked to "report on the blocks" by someone controlling, once your at the gate, just say "At the gate/stand leaving frequency" etc etc .

Regards,

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 12:57:23 pm »
Thanks for the info Conners. That'll speed things up during busy events (as a pilot)... I can't remember the number of times I've sat waiting for a "gap in the traffic" to ask for shutdown.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »
I think it was done so the controllers could give you the time your flightplan was closed.

EHM-1798 Conrad

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:01:36 am »
Hmm, but why would you need that? Its not done in the real world at all, once their landed, i dont want anything to do with them ;)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:19:34 am »
Well mate, that's actually pretty obvious - in the virtual world, pilots need all the help they can get, and telling them when their FP closed reminds them to record it on the FP ;)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1947 Miko

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:06:10 am »
For me the "on the blocks" dialog is sort of last shake hands - the controller welcomes you at your destination (a nice gesture I beleave) and the pilot thanks for the ATC - maybe it's not realistic but I stil enjoy it.

EHM-1500 Jim

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 02:56:36 pm »
Agree with you Miko.....i nice opportunity to say thanks and good bye even if not official ATC speak.
Most controllers very polite and courteous when you ask to leave frequency.

EHM-1798 Conrad

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:13 pm »
Isnt there a motto "As Real as it gets?" :roll eyes

Well when you fly in my airspace, you dont get it ;)

EHM-1500 Jim

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 05:27:18 pm »
Fine....be like that then spoil sport ;)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
Before I set out in yet another highly charged topic let me just confirm that the views I am expressing are my own and not those of EuroHarmony! Anyway, in to the debate........

Thats why I liked IVAO over VATSIM, there was more of a sense of camaradary between pilots and controllers on IVAO and the letter of the law was not as strict. I have to admit, I am limiting my time online lately as things do seem to be getting a little too intense for my hobbyist liking especially in some countries. Maybe "As real as it gets" should be substituted for "Don't come online unless you have your CPL and over 250 hours logged solo!" which could just be shortened to "Downright ridicuous!" :P

IMHO I agree, it's just a polite way of saying so long and thanks for the service, maybe IVAO should open up a new position called "ground crew" so that we can ask for air and power to be connected instead???? If controllers don't ask for a declaration on the blocks then I suppose it just gives them the chance to chastise the pilots when they ask for shutdown clearance, out of courtesy I am not going to argue with a controller either way, I will just make a diversion to another airport when I see that controller online at my destination! Surely controlling is no fun if there is no traffic? ;)

All this topic highlights is the difference in tastes. Some want to be in control of the entire situation, some want to fly by the seat of their pants!!!! On that note, it's time for me to go as I can feel a draft on my backside! ;D
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 09:50:21 pm »
Funny thing Conners ;D

I just browsed the IVAO-HU Rulebook (mady by Gergely) to look for military online flying, and that book stands, when the ATC says "Report on blocks" it is just an ask, so the ATC will know, the plane has stopped and engines were shutted down. It clearly states, that you do not need to ask an Engine shutdown clearance. I think in IVAO it is also a welcome, as Miko said, and a statement, so the ATC will ask you to leave the frequency.

In the IVAO-HU rulebook, Gergely wrote, you can also say as a pilot: "Brakes set" which means the same for the ATC: welcome, and flightplan close ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 10:20:21 pm »
Usually when making a pilot go to the gate, I just say taxi to __, I don't really say report on blocks unless its busy so they can remind me. Once they're at the gate, I just tell them they're cleared to shut-down, and good night. I never say close your flightplan, and change to UNICOM. I think its a waste of time.

EHM-1947 Miko

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:03 am »
It reminds me to a topic that is often discussed in German Forums: What is the correct phraseology for requesting the Engine-Start Approval , Push back- and IFR Clearance. When departing von EHAM i.e. you have to say "Request IFR Clearance" otherwise you are asked "Do you want an IFR clearance?".

When departing from virtual German Airports, you must never say this. You have to say "Request start-up to ...". And if you are cleared to start-up you are not allowed to start your engines! It means that your flightplan is started-up.

It is also very unwelcome in germany to say "EHM000 is airbourne", if you are in the air - in other countries the tower insists in getting this report.  

And listening to real world cockpit videos I often see that the real pilots are often less conventional than their virtual pendants ;)  - especially the US Pilots.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 10:23:12 am »
Miko,

Tell me about it... I was watching a program on Discovery Wings over the weekend (about business jets) and the "feature flight" in whatever jet it was, was Gatwick to JFK. Anyhow, fairly early on in the flight (while they were still being vectored out of the LTA), an ATC/pilot-not-flying exchange went like this:

ATC: NCBAR, turn heading 245.
PNF: 245.

And that was it! No complaint from the controller, so it must be "safe" from a real-world standpoint, but I'm betting if I said something like that to either Conners or Gaz, they'd be quite sarcastic for a while!(No offence C... ;))
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1821 Javier

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 11:01:11 am »
when controlling, i never need to ask the pilot to report when on blocks, im told not to heh..

instead, i just say "taxi to gate of choice, report when rdy for engine shutdown" and when he asks for engine shutdown, i approve it, sometimes say flight plane close time and say some goodbye lines :)

i do get "report when on blocks" when i fly though..

EHM-1947 Miko

\"Report on the blocks\"
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:50 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-0654 Murray
Miko,

Tell me about it... I was watching a program on Discovery Wings over the weekend (about business jets) and the "feature flight" in whatever jet it was, was Gatwick to JFK. Anyhow, fairly early on in the flight (while they were still being vectored out of the LTA), an ATC/pilot-not-flying exchange went like this:

ATC: NCBAR, turn heading 245.
PNF: 245.

And that was it! No complaint from the controller, so it must be "safe" from a real-world standpoint, but I'm betting if I said something like that to either Conners or Gaz, they'd be quite sarcastic for a while!(No offence C... ;))

That seems to be the point - the difference between "us" and the professional ones is that they just use the radios and their dialogs to communicate and not for competition who knows all the rules ;)

I remember one video - it was on final to Teneriffa airport - and I heard on the radio a dialog like this:

ATC (Woman): XY123, you are cleared for direct ILS XY.
XY123: ("flirtish") Wow, lucky day, thats the way I like it.
ATC: Laughing

If you flirt with Conners I dont know what will happen ;D