Author Topic: A strange penalty  (Read 4757 times)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
A strange penalty
« on: July 22, 2007, 03:12:27 am »
The title of the topic is not really strange. The strange connotation is the moment the penalty took place. After almost 8 hrs flying from SAEZ to KATL I got Penn 03: "Engine started without the beacon lights on." I agree that it can happen when during the flight the switch is turned off because it happened to me once long time ago. But this time the switch was not touched. So I presume it may be a bug in the program.
It is true that the 60 pts are nothing compared with the 400 that I got for a very hard landing in Atlanta but the points are not the point.
There was a severe turbulence on the final path for RWY 26L and I made the mistake of landing anyhow instead of aborting and looking for another approach. No excuses.
Hector

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
A strange penalty
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:38:11 am »
Hector,

That is weird.... What plane were you using? Was it a payware model? As the flogger gets it's information through FSUIPC I wonder if that reported something strange.... You don't have FSpassengers or anything running do you?

Cheers,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
A strange penalty
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:18:49 pm »
Hi Phil,
I was using the LDS B763 and yes, for the first time I was using FSPassengers with EHM even though I have used it for a couple of years. Anyhow the FSP did not penalized me for the beacon lights.
If you look at the ACARS file, you can see that the engines were started at 12:06 and the penalty was applied at 20:00. Again Phil, at that moment I was not manipulating the cockpit instruments so the chance for having turned the switch off is nil.
However, that flight was unevenful in different ways:  for example, the IVAO ACCARS showed everything fine, I was connected, everyting was connected, but after 45 minutes of flight I noticed that Servinfo was not showing my flight and that IVAO did not reflect my flight. I started to disconnect and re-connect and could finally get in the Servinfo's screen and in IVAO.
Later on the flight (in fact, it happened about 5 times, the last one during final on Atlanta) I was disconnected. On one occasion IVAO said that I had to submit the plan.
I mention all this because this beacon penalty may have had something to do with the poor internet connection I have right now. In fact, I flew yesterday thru a wireless connection because the LAN have been out for one week due to a strike of the phone company that supplies the service. But the penalty showed up when I was connected.
Anyhow, thanks for your reply and hope that is not a bug.
Best Regards,
Hector

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
A strange penalty
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:11:51 am »
Errr...I am not sure, but had once a similar bug with the 747. I am sure now, that it has something to do with the PMDG fuel management, which caused to stop outer engines for a millisecond after landing, and the Logger recognized it.

Maybe it is something that caused together LDS+FSP+FL.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
A strange penalty
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:46:38 am »
I had a penalty on beacon and landing lights last flight when i was on initial i wanted to calculate my distance to the airport and instead of setting the VOR or whatever on the nav radio i tried using the GPS. Pressed the waypoint key, tried to type LPPT, instead an atc window or something popped up and my L key turned all lights off. Seriously after a perfect flight and perfect landing afterwards i got the 230 penalty points.

Entirely my fault for not inputting the waypoint manually, but cant we make it that it checks 2 times with a 5-10 sec difference? To see if we really forgot, or if it was a simulation error.