Author Topic: January newsletter  (Read 4294 times)

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
January newsletter
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:38:52 pm »
ARLANDA NEWSLETTER

January 2008

Welcome to the January issue of the Arlanda newsletter.
In this issue you will get a short summary of the history of Arlanda, and a long haul on leg mini event.

Thanks to all of you for flying with us here at Arlanda the last year, I hope you all have enjoyed the year at EuroHarmony.
And I hope you will enjoy the year to come.
And remember the: Invite a friend award scheme.

If you have any other issues or concerns regarding our airline or hub please contact me at: christian@fly-euroharmony.com
You can also reach me at MSN: cjo-bakk@online.no.
Feel free to contact me regardless of issue and I will do my best to help you.

ESSA HUB ONLINE EVENT

During the late winter or spring I will arrange an event flight to celebrate both the lovely Douglas DC 8 and Diesel 8 as they are nicknamed. And the first revenue flight from Stockholm Arlanda to New York.
The aircraft that will be used is the DC 8-33 which was the aircraft used for the flight originally.  We will be using the DC 8-30 model from Historic Jetliners Group. Visit their homepage here: HJG homepage

The DC 8 is not equipped with the today standard navigation equipment, so in order to make this easier for all of us; I will make a tutorial for the flight. This will cover the basic flying of the DC 8 and how to navigate.

HUB FLY-IN

A hub fly-in will be arranged in early February, date will be announced later, but I have planed a flight from Arlanda to Malmø which is situated just across from Copenhagen.

Of course if you have any ideas for a hub fly-in give them to me and I’ll do my best to make them happen.

Arlanda History

In 1946 the Swedish riksdagen (the parliament) decides to construct a new airport near the lake Halmsjön. Stockholm was at this point served by Bromma ESSB.

On 26th of November 1952 the first flight to Arlanda at that time named Bromma – Halmsjön.
The Captain of the first flight into Arlanda states: Nowhere in the world I have I seen a new built runway that stupid constructed. It was shaped like corkscrew and was seldom use.
It was shortly after reconstructed to witch today is known as taxiway X to rwy 08/26
The new airport is going to have a name and in 1958 a competition is announced, but the jury doesn’t like any of the names suggested and therefore picks the name Arlanda itself.
That because of the area being referred to as; Arland by the local population.
The name Stockholm-Arlanda is approved by Riksdagen.

The airport was opened on 14. Dec 1959 and regular traffic begun 5. Jan 1960.
The official opening of Stockholm Arlanda airport was not until 1. april1962.
It was opened by the Swedish king Kung Gustav XVI  Adolf.
And all international traffic is transferred to Arlanda from Bromma (ESSB)
Then Arlanda had two runways the 3300m long 01L/19R and 08/26(2500m)

The first intercontinental flight was bound for New York and lifted on 26. June 1960.
This was a Scandinavian Airlines DC-8.

A new international terminal is opened in 1976 “Arlanda International” (Terminal 5)
All international traffic both regular and charter traffic was transferred to this terminal.
More expansion was completed in 1983 when today’s Terminal 4 was opened.

At that time known as Innrikes 1 (Domestic 1).  1. Jan 1984 SAS domestic and Linjeflyg moves here from Bromma. The terminal is from its opening 25% to small.
In 1990 Terminal 2 (Innrikes 2) is opened and SAS domestic moves here, but in 1992 SAS domestic abandons the terminal, due to low traffic numbers. The terminal is converted into both domestic and international. And the terminal get’s it numbering system witch it got today. (T2,T3,T4,T5)

Traffic numbers starts to increase once again, Arlanda is getting too crowded.
The building of new third runway01R/19L is started on 10. Nov 1998. Together with a new ATC tower, fire station and a new pier on Terminal 5.
In 1999 the express train Arlanda Express starts operating between Arlanda and Stockholm city.

Due to the Schengen agreement reconstruction is needed and Terminal 2 and 5 is rebuilt. Terminal 2 is becomes only international, and Terminal 5 gets a forth floor. This to enable the airport to separate passengers, travelling within Schengen and coming from countries outside of the Schengen area.

On 23dec 2001 the new ATC tower 83m high is put into service.
January 2002 Pier F on Terminal 5 enters service and the third runway is finally opened on 17 April 2003.

In 2005 Arlanda had 115 772 aircraft movements and 17.101.478 passengers.

Today Stockholm Arlanda serves 106 destinations and has 46 carriers operating out of Arlanda with SAS as the largest.
Today terminal 3 and 4 is used for domestic operations and terminal 2 and 5 for international traffic.

There is a pdf verision available here with graphics:
Newsletter in PDF
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe