Author Topic: Eurobusiness Fly-in Sun 16 March 18:00z  (Read 20070 times)

EHM-2029 Sotiris

Eurobusiness Fly-in Sun 16 March 18:00z
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:22 pm »
Hello everyone!

This thread will be for everyone to post comments & suggestions regarding our fly-in from Zurich to London City.

We shall be taking our birds from the banking capital of Europe boasting the highest quality of life world-wide and taking them to the financial capital of Europe, the multicultural hub of art, entertainment and culture.

Join us in what promises to be an amazing fly-in, Euroharmony-style.

Some features:
- Brand new A318 planes
- Real life controller at EGLC (Thanks to GB-DIR)
- Steep (5.5 degree) approach into London City
- Brand new version of the immaculate Freez Zurich scenery; now with AES enhancements

Feel free to share your thoughts and comments.

More will follow as we get closer to the event!

Update 02.03.08]

You can now register for the event in the online flying pages under the pilots section, there you will find information about route, flighlevel and links to charts and sceneries.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:59:15 pm »
Ok Guys,

Time to dust off our Microphones and get together on IVAO!

As Sotiris mentioned above, we have a real world London controller (Gaz the GB-DIR) bringing us in to land for this event. We are trying to secure as much ATC as possible en route for this event and our friends at IVAO are supporting us so lets show them that we can put together a great event.

If anyone would like any training or simply a refresher before the event, please post here and we will organise it for you.

Don't forget if you want to fly it on Propilot you will have to ensure you have an A318 available at Zurich and this may mean flying one in! :)

Hope to see you there!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:41 pm »
Dear Pilots,

You can find details of the event posted on the online pages, alternatively, please SEE HERE!

Please don't forget to register for the event if you plan on joining us and also please let us know if you would like some training or further information before the event.

Thanks and regards,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-0641 Rico

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:48 am »
The link for EGLC scenery on this page http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/maarten/view_events/more_info.php?id=108 does not work ,,, :s

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:48 am »
No probs Rico!

All you have to do is visit HERE

and scroll down for London City Airport by Matthew Minstry which is the one for FS9. Added in 2006

Please do not confuse it with the FS8 scenery by Marcelo Lugari.
The whole problem had to do with hotlinking refusal from FSNordic.net
Once you've opened the site the hotlink from the Fly-in page will work.

EHM-0641 Rico

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:42:08 am »
Thnx allot m8 .. ;)

If only now I can solve my FreeZ scenery problem :(

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
Just to remind everyone to book yourself in for the fly in on the online flying pages HERE, this is so we can let the IVAO divisions know what sort of numbers to expect, the more pilots we guarantee the better chance we have for getting full ATC.

I would also urge you to practice some approaches to EGLC in the A318 if you intend coming, it is a pretty intense landing.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:19:34 am »
I will be away that week-end but I hope to return in time for the fly-in.

I practiced with the A318 but not yet the EGLC aproach, as soon as I hve this done I will "officially" register (provided I don't end up TOO deep in the asphalt ;D during practice).

One hesitation though: if the fly-in is successful, is there enough parking room for so many Airbuses at EGLC? If I am not mistaken, the only other "option" is to vacate into the Thames, isn't it?

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »
Andrei,

there's absolutely no problem.
There's 8 ready parking places but in the event of congestion we can also use the East GA apron to fit a couple more.

As for the approach, you can also try and limit the amount of cargo you carry and of course, don't start with 100% fuel for a flight that is only 1:30.

This will effectively lower your Vref to very manageable levels.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-2029 Sotiris
As for the approach, you can also try and limit the amount of cargo you carry and of course, don't start with 100% fuel for a flight that is only 1:30.

Rats! So bad for my cunning plan to smuggle jet fuel into UK ;D using this fly-in as a cover-up

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 04:01:44 pm »
Gents,

The flight has been inserted in to the database so you can fly this event with ProPilot should there be sufficient available planes to lock at Zurich. (You may have to fly one in for the event yourself!) You can also use this flight should you wish to have a practice run at the steep approach in to London City.

Flight Number: B364
Departure: LSZH
Destination: EGLC

The return leg is also in the Database as B365. Don't forget, you will need to press the update button on your flight logger to see have these flights available.

Safe landings! :P

Phil
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 06:26:37 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-2029 Sotiris
Andrei,

there's absolutely no problem.
There's 8 ready parking places but in the event of congestion we can also use the East GA apron to fit a couple more.

This will effectively lower your Vref to very manageable levels.

And if we fill the apron at EGLC I'll makea touch and go and divert to EGLL.
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:52:31 pm »
Has British Airways got no shame...???

It looks like they're intent on copying all our best ideas - just look here ;D

If we get a good turnout for the Flyin, maybe they'll realise there's no room left at EGLC for their BabyBusses ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 08:06:12 am »
I did a practice run, then finally registered for the event. As the LSZH-EGLC route was not "databased" yet, I flew the LFSB-EGLC route which is roughly 98% the same.

For realism, besides of real weather I practiced some holds on approach (though I am sure Gaz may still have more surprises in store for us :) ). Everything went uneventful until I reached the now famous 5.5 degrees glideslope.

It feels SO strange! Everything (but the instruments :) ) is literally shouting "you're too high, go around". No problem though, but I think I should proceed to another practice run this week, just to be sure.

Originally posted by EHM-1651 Christian
And if we fill the apron at EGLC I'll make a touch and go and divert to EGLL.

Hmm... Good idea, but to put in practice I must not forget to take charts for EGLL too. Though ANY apron is better than the Thames anyway.

Andrei

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »
**UPDATE**

Sotiris has had confirmation that we will not only have a Controller for our approach to EGLC but we will now also have ATC for our departure from Zurich.

If you want to take part, please register at the Online Page HERE

We hope to see you there!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »
Second (and probably last) practice run before the fly-in.

Real weather pretty bad tonight, hope we get something better on Sunday. Strong headwind all the way, then wind and turbulence above London.

I tried as usual to fly the published procedure (for runway 28), but I did not time properly the turn into finals and ended up on the glideslope before the localizer. Normally I manage to "recover" from this condition but, be warned, with the 5.5 degrees glideslope this seems close to impossible.

So I had to practice the missed approach too, then the second time I got the turns better and got properly established. And still the landing itself, in "manual" mode, was difficult due to variable winds and the already famous 5.5 degrees. Parked the Airbus in one piece though, which at EGLC means success. I guess...

One important conclusion is that the standard procedure is "tight" (as everything is at EGLC), while "friendly" vectoring can make the approach way easier. So, my advice: be nice to Gaz, folks!

See you all on Sunday

Andrei

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:01 pm »
I am just going to do a final test run online myself.... :) I will let you know how it goes....

**EDIT** Flight Canceled due to weather at the destination oh and Bruno intervening to train me on the websites cPanel! :)

Will try again tomorrow!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 01:23:49 am »
IMPORTANT EVENT NOTAM
==================

If you are planning on joining the event please familiarize yourself with following Airbus document.

A318 Steep Approach guide.

Our aircraft does not have the same messages and systems and is not modeled for the steep approach therefore  I suggest approach with Full Speed brakes, (instead of the A318's actual speed brake 3 & 4 engaged automatically) Full Flaps and gear down when intercepting the GS.

Regards,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 01:29:30 am »
Can I register last minute? :P
My computer is a mess and Ive never flown either the A318 nor into EGLC, so Im not sure if I'll be done with fixing it and getting practice by sunday...
Id like to join though I havent been online for the longest time... University interfering -_-

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:22 am »
Hi Mariano,

OF COURSE.
Feel free to register and you are ALWAYS welcome to join us in the Fly-in. Even if you still have problems with the pc it is no reason not to register.

We will be expecting and hope your pc can be cured until then :)

All the best mate

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:52 am »
I'm not registering for the fly-in itself (as the MT know I have a rather big development task on this weekend) and I too don't have the A318 installed (and to be honest, I also don't like 'Buses) but if I can get the development finished in time I'm going to loiter with intent over the skies of my home nation's capital in the one third-party plane I've got for FSX - the Cessna 337 SkyMaster (seen Bat21? The plane Danny Glover is flying is the military variant of the SkyMaster)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 09:16:24 am »
In this case Murray,

why don't you hop on a heli with your camera in hand and immortalise the event for us?
(And if the Augusta is too hard go for a Hovercontrol variant with auto hover which should simplify things)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:08:38 pm »
Well, I did a further practice run in my WILCO A318 last night..... Ouch!!!! I stopped with about 5 feet to spare and had to use the turning circle to turn round and get back to the apron!!!!

The problem really is speed.... I made my first approach and hit the GS doing 140 KIAS at about 3.5 miles @ 2000ft..... I just could not bleed the speed off.... I was doing 145 by the time I reached the runway and with my fuel and load I had a VLS of 103 which as per the Airbus document should have meant I was doing roughly 110 KIAS on touchdown.... Here is the tricky part, the computers won't let you deploy speed brakes during an ILS decent.... Of course the Wilco Model does not have the "Steep Appr" button that the real A318's have that are certified for EGLC and that software algorithm amongst other things, automatically deploys 2 out of the 4 spoilers which allow you to bleed off speed whilst on the ILS GS.

So around I went, following the published missed and started my approach out at 10nm, this time though, at 10nm i was doing 160, I hit the brakes and by the time I intercepted the GS at 4nm, I was doing 120. After a very hairy approach which must be a real adrenaline rush in real life, I touched down fast at 122 KIAS...... Suffice to say, I have the utmost respect for the Real World pilots who are going to start doing this for real soon when A318 operations commence at EGLC!

My main concern is we are going to need to space ourselves out during the flight so when we hit Gaz at EGLC Approach we have sufficient spacing to allow for this slow descent.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 04:22:10 pm »
My main concern is we are going to need to space ourselves out during the flight so when we hit Gaz at EGLC Approach we have sufficient spacing to allow for this slow descent.

And this is why I have been practicing holdings :) , there are 3 of them published along the way (including over LCY).

I think this should give APP enough manoeuvering space and I think it is more realistic than the bunch of us trying to "optimize" spacing in a manner not coordinated with the ATC (yes, I suggest we risk to make spacing just worse).

As for the Wilco A318... As I said previously, I like it but don't trust it enough for online flying. And I bet that using its autoland with 5.5 degree glideslope is a recipe for disaster. So, if all this is about hand flying the short finals, I'll stick to the official EHM iFDG model as I got used to the flight dynamics.

Back too my favorite topic, that is parking space at EGLC. We are 13 (for luck) registered participants plus anyone else willing to join (remember we had some positive feedback after the IVAO forum announcement). I think we should plan that once we get on blocks, the first ones to arrive just disconnect to make room for the others.

Or... equip our A318s with floats ;D

See you tomorrow
Andrei

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:06 pm »
Well gentlemen, I wish the very best for all of you. Unfortunately, I cannot participate in this event for my laptop's lack of capacity to handle non-default scenery and I don't want to mess the whole thing up getting 5 fps in final.
Happy landings to you all.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.