Author Topic: Class 3: Dash 8 Q-400 problems  (Read 3539 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Class 3: Dash 8 Q-400 problems
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:01:44 am »
On my new class 3 promotion I was hoping to do several pleasurable hours of flight with the Dash 8 which I love but have not found any good one out there.

I installed the FS2004 version on my FS9.1 and found out that whenever I select this a/c it ALWAYS crashes my simulator as it attempts to load the a/c.

This does not happen with any other a/c in my hangar, nor with any of my other EHM a/c.

Any ideas why?

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
This will probably be something to do with a Gauge or something on the panel that is not compatible with something else you have installed as it is not a problem reported by others. I would try editing the plane to use a different panel, maybe the Dash or ATR panel that you like!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »
I found out the problem. The default installation seems to be complete with panel and all yet it does not load.

One has to install the H Molina panel into the system for the Dash to work. I changed the a/c.cfg to be able to switch between both panels but there appears to be no visual or functional difference with the exception that the default does not let the a/c load.

So, I did some test flights on it including a one-engine off during cruise. Did not notice much difference in the maneuvrability. The propeller was still turning (due to the air flow). When I safely landed then the left propeller stopped rotating (as expected).

Then I tried the engine 1 off before takeoff (not during) and as expected the a/c started veering off the runway :). I wonder if the engine off after V2 is going to show any interesting situation.

Anyway, a/c is functional now. Don't like the panel that much but it has an advantage over the ATR-72 panel (or two):

1. The cabin crew announcement sound effects are present
2. The course and heading indicators (also on the AP) actually show you the current setting without guess work.

Given these two I think I will be "dashing" my way through the skies on class 3 with this a/c rather than my favourite ATR-72.

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
Finally did a real flight on this one with charts and all. Kind of a long one (EHM3486) for a total of 2.2 hours on the cockpit :)

I love the dash but I will have to look for a better panel. This one from Molina has a lot of main panel buttons that are inoperable. This however was not the problem.

The was VERY busy at the cockpit and had to fly the thing by hand amids my experiments with the systems. The autopilot is apparently only able to hold altitude (didn't try ILS). I had the following issues:

- With flight plan and all, I pressed the NAV/GPS button to place it in GPS mode with the AutoPilot set. It either started veering of course or something.

- The CRS/HDG do not seem to work well with the AP. With AP set and CRS (or HDG) set most of the times it was not able to follow or hold it

- Tried to start the engines following the instructions in the documentation (FUEL, IGNITION, ENG SELECT, START) and after many trials nothing started to I had to CTRL+E the a/c to start the engines :(

- At some point the AP went slightly crazy. Was at 24000' the ATC instructed me to descend to 23000 or climb to 25000. I chose the 1st and set the ALT down to 23000. It went down a bit and then suddenly it started climbing very steeply (got a penalty for excessive VS).

Had a lot of wind on this flight (but good visibility) so I was very busy flying by hand and testing the systems. In that sense it was a bit of a wild horse.

However, the a/c behaves rather well on approach. I will try to find a commercial version (but hard to decide between this and the ATR-72).

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:07:15 pm »
New Findings (all assuming AP is engaged):

- In NAV mode it will heed to the HDG hold button (usually after some delay)
- In GPS ode it heeds to both the CRS and HDG hold buttons
- The  APP mode appears to do something but have not tried it in much detail

It is weird because in most Autopilots I have seen there is a switch to select NAV/GPS and then also a NAV button on the AutoPilot..

I will have to try again to see if I can get it to follow the flight plan in GPS mode. That did not appear to work.

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 07:08:23 pm »
More findings. Did my 2nd long flight (EHM3057) on this one. Still exhibits some erratic behaviour with the default panel when selecting CRS with AP.

Mostly I see that sometimes it veers off somewhere. Anyway I finally got it to do the GPS flight plan sequencing on autopilot:

1. Have flight plan/waypoints
2. be airborne
3. set top of climb and enable ALT button on autopilot panel
4. Enable Autopilot
5. Set NAV/GPS switch to GPS
6. Enable CRS button on autopilot pael

At first it tries to fight itself and you see some turning in an unexpected direction but then it settles off on course (the other way). After this while keeping the plane on this configuration you can still change the CRS and/or HDG settings on the AutoPilot panel but it will not affect the AP sequencing the waypoints until you disable the NAV/GPS.

Did a few improvements on the plane and now I love it :)

anything