Author Topic: The Altimeter penalty (a question)  (Read 4446 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
The Altimeter penalty (a question)
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »
I keep on getting penalties about the altimeter not set even though I do it. I guess I am missing the time window somehow.

However my question arises from the fact that as far as I know and based on what I have learned/read on both the IVAO training pack as well as somewhere in the EHM training area, the Transition Altitude is NOT FL180 but rather a specific altitude close to the airport. This can be 3000', 5000', 6500' and such depending on the local regulations. When I get the penalty it always set that the altimeter was not set above/below FL180.

Thereby my confusion, why does FL say the Transition Altitude is FL180?

In my latest flight I made an experiment (against what theory tells me) and set the altimeter to local (not standard) just before passing FL180 (should have been 5000' for Copenhagen) and got the penalty anyway.

Can somebody bring some light into the subject?

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:28:41 pm »
The FL180 'bug' is nothing to do with Flight Logger Didimo, it is coded into Flight Simulator as this is (I believe) the common TA in the USA. No provision was made for the TA's in other countries. Flight Logger merely works on what is expected in MSFS's architecture.

As for getting the penalty, I believe this only occurs when you are climbing - previous posts here on this subject indicate that as long as you set Standard pressure before FL180 by pressing 'B' you will not get the penalty. If you use some other panel based method of setting the standard pressure rather than the B key (MSFS standard) I think FL does not register that Standard pressure is set.

So the question is, how do you set your pressure?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:43:34 am »
IC, thanks for the explanation and I hope I don't get it again :)

Indeed, MSFS has several shortcomings and what you say makes sense. In some or many of my flights I set the barometer to the local (on descent) or to standard (on climb) according to the METAR and the annoying MSFS notification appears "Altimeter not set. Press B".

Anyway, off I go.

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:24:51 pm »
Ive seen this discussion before on several forums... way back...
How hard would it have been to add some kind of setting to set the TA to FSX when pilots must be complaining about this for years?

anything