Author Topic: Keeping the community informed  (Read 3890 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Keeping the community informed
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:08:49 pm »
Good news everybody!

(How I love Futurama...)

Just to keep everyone in the loop on this particular one (and to canvas your collective opinion), we in the MT are thinking about changing our forum software and making a new theme for the new software at the same juncture.

It's also been raised (within the MT) that we could change forum usernames again at the same juncture; the new software has both a login name and a display name, and they don't need to be the same... So, we are thinking of going to just the pilot ID for login name ("0654" in my case) and using the main website pilot name as the display name ("Murray Crane" in my case). In essence, we're wanting to go over to using the same credentials on both the forum and the main website (which long term, if we can get the hooks working correctly, is still what we are aiming to do)

Any thoughts/opinions on this renaming (given we're a few months away from the change to the new software, I've only just tested the migration on my laptop)?
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »
To be honest, I like the current system. Mainly because there no need any login (cookies working in the background), and also because the pilot ID is always visible at every post, which makes easier identify the mates sometimes (to me). ;D

Anyway, changing is always good, gives some fresh blood ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »
Funnily enough Robert, the whole "change of usernames" was prompted by one of the MT having problems on one of his computers where it always ignores the login cookie and he has to re-login every time.

As I say, the new software separates the login name from the name applied when viewing the forum/posting, so we can keep the login short and "enforce" a longer display name. It's certainly made things a little easier for me on occasion having pilots IDs showing against their posts...

And yes, a change of face every now and then is a good thing. Certainly, forum software has moved on a lot in the time since XMB, our current software, last put out a major upgrade.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:46 pm »
Hehe, there was a short period when I had the same technical problem. I bothered a lot with IE security settings, and somehow... it was just solved. ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:45 pm »
is it vBulletin?

That is imho the rolls-royce of forum software.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910