Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 5231 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Engine noise
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:52:31 pm »
I am confused, so I guess I ask it.

I live below an approach path, where airliners are passing at around 3000'. Sometimes I hear them - of course each type have different sound. But one type has a scary noise, and unfortunately I never cought it so I do not know which type is it.

Unlike a continously louding noise it comes very suddenly. It has a loud screaming "intro" of 2-3 seconds. The intro sounds exactly like a fighter plane makes a low-pass and pull it up suddenly. I guess in this phase the airplane is just passing over my head. After the "intro" the noise continueing as a regular airliner roar and getting more quiet...

This engine noise is coming very suddenly and always scare me ;D Any ideas of the source ??? (maybe certain weather conditions needed for this to hear...)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »
Maybe that's the noise of local trainee airline pilots getting the hang of it for the first time..?? ;D

No real idea what this could be but I'd guess it's an engine (or engines) with a particular sound signature at the front compared to the normal Boeing, Airbus etc ones - which makes me wonder if you get any older Russian built airliners at your local airport or possibly military transports which don't have the same noise restrictions as civil aircraft..?

Interesting question... ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Engine noise
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:03:52 pm »
Well, good idea, because I hear it quite rarely. We have e.g. a Tu-154 from Moscow, and sometime I can see C-17 cargoplanes too. The problem is the block of flats I live in is too long and I cant see anything most of the time when I am looking out. ;D

I have to say though I heard the strange engine sometime in the office too, which lays below a SID path, so there the engine should run on MAX gas.

I might catch it once :8

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
Engine noise
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:06 pm »
Hi Robert,

do you hear that noise always at the same time(s)?
So you could take the time and wait at some spotter - point near the airport or at some place, where you can see the plane. Or you can compare the times you hear the noise with the timetable of your airport.
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Engine noise
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:22 am »
This doesn't answer your question Robert, but you are right about the weather that can heavily distort the jet engine noise. My office is close enough to the airport to hear the "take-off max thrust" but yesterday these were barely recognizable during a time of particularly stormy weather.

Also, I suggest that a strong noise shows either:
a) A very old set of engines
b) An aircraft special enough that no one cares (or dares to comment ;D ) about the noise.

And the reason is the revolutionary change in the jet engine design since the B747,which uses a jet of cold air surrounding the active part of the engine and mixing with the hot exhaust gases. This design reduced dramatically the engine noise.

It's funny to look through such an engine because it looks like it's 75% "empty", one can see the landscape behind it :)

I could hear this by myself some 10 years ago when I worked for several months quite under the glide slope at Orly, Paris. When aircraft were not landing but taking off above us, older B737 did signficantly more noise than B747s.

To put it shortly: old "thin" engines do much more noise than newer "fat" engines.  And they're more fuel-effective too. So "your" aircraft is probably old. Very old. Older than me, I mean ;D

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Engine noise
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:22:40 pm »
Unfortunately I did not care about the time so I cannot repeat the observation ;D

It can be an old engine but not that old, because after the louder "intro" it continues as a normal A320 or 737NG roaring.

At Budapest the only regular B747 visitor is a Cargolux 747-400F. It is very impressing as climbing slowly and have a very distinctive engine noise - for me (being an engineer) it sounds exactly like a scrap machine with worn and damaged bearings... but not ! It is normal at the 747 with RR power ;D

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Engine noise
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:52:57 pm »
I heard it again, and I have 2 tips: either a Fokker 70 (having a lot in the area) or either an MD8x, as both have "old"' low-bypass turbines. I think the phenomenon appears in hot but windy weather. I will take care of it next time, maybe I will be lucky ;)