Author Topic: Will hand flying soon be a thing of the past?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Will hand flying soon be a thing of the past?
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »
According to this article from FlightGlobal, the future looks very different for precision approaches. It looks like all aircraft will be required to fly very precise approach paths using ultra accurate FMC information to minimise noise and pollution in built up areas around major airports...

Is this necessarily a good thing?  ???

It will be great for the environment but will add to the tendency for airline pilots to lose chances to regularly hand fly the aircraft, a factor that has been linked to problems in effectively dealing with real emergencies in several accident reports...

What do you think?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Re: Will hand flying soon be a thing of the past?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:21:00 pm »
I agree, while it is fine that the computer does the thing being an IT person I am *always* worried at leaving my fate to somebody else's programming skills :-) How many times haven't we used a computer program where you are totally hindered by what THE PROGRAM THINKS you want to do and doesn't let you DO THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY want to do?

For that same reason I don't think I would like to have a car with Windows embedded into it (unless I don't know about it).

Pilot skills are also lost, while they can practice it in a simulator it is not the same state of mind as in real life where you have the lives on hundreds of people at your hands.

I mean, even right now with GPS who does high altitude VOR tracking??? skills get rusty and then something bad happens and eh... uh.... what was that that I needed to do?

anything