Author Topic: Cockpit / Multiple monitor question...  (Read 5638 times)

C6VC

Cockpit / Multiple monitor question...
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:46 pm »
I posted this on mycockpit.com, but because you guys seem so well informed I thought I'd ask here too.

I'm looking to build a dedicated simulator in my basement, and I've got a box with a Geforce 9800 GTX video card installed. I've only used it with one monitor, but it has the dual DVI inputs. I also know that the motherboard has 2 free PCIe 2.0 slots, so here comes my question.

If I get 2 more Geforce 9800 GTX's (to avoid compatability issues), will I be able to run 6 monitors? 3 for scenery, 1 for panels, 1 for GPS and maybe 1 for map (lets call it a STBML, screen to be named later)? If the three scenery monitors are 22", can the instrument monitors be smaller (17") and will I be able to set resolution size independantly, say if I wanted 2 17" and one 7" touch screen (touch screen's a completely different subject, to be broached MUCH further down the line)?

Looking for some info before I get my feet wet, I appreciate your knowledge and input. I'm sure someone will comment on the graphics card of choice; to you... I'm not all that interested in your input   ;).

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
Re: Cockpit / Multiple monitor question...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Yeah I think this all should be possible. I'm running two monitors on one ATI Radeon X1950XTX card, one 19" and one 17". No problem with the size, both run on a 1024 resolution. hope this helped you a bit. And eh.... publice some shot's once you got them up and running.

good luck.
Niels
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

C6VC

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »
Thanks for the info! Quick question- does your card allow you to run different resolutions on each monitor?

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:40:22 pm »
Six monitors off one PC would be touch and go. Very much depends on the cards and their drivers (and while many will d**n me for saying it, nVidia aren't all that good at this). You'll likely find that the six displays will all be cludged into a single desktop, and all get the same resolution (that of the smallest display in the group...)

When you want to go multi-monitor to that sort of degree, and stay aircraft type agnostic, it's far more usual to bring in extra PCs to drive the extra monitors and use a piece of software called WideView to "extend" flight sim's display to the additional PCs.

My own sim-pit (B738NG specific) currently comprises 4 PCs:

• PC #1 - Gaming Rig - FSX, Project Magenta (PM) MCP software and Flight Deck Solutions (FDS) MCP/EFIS hardware - 22" wide monitor for virt. cockpit (8800GTS)
  • PC #2 - PM Glass Cockpit software, ASX - 2x 19" wide monitors for PF/PNF glass cockpit (and a 15" portrait monitor at some stage for engine gauges) (Matrox Millenium)
  • PC #3 - PM CDU software and FSD CDU hardware, FS real time - 5" CDU display (I use VNC from PC #2 to set up FS realtime prior to pulling the CDU software full-screen) (Radeon tiny)
  • PC #4 - IVAP, FLogger, NaviGraph - 15" wide laptop

I'm going to need at least 1 more PC to handle the MIP/overhead switches and gauges, PMSystems and the PNF remote CDU.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:48:53 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:09:41 am »
Thanks for the info! Quick question- does your card allow you to run different resolutions on each monitor?

Yes it does :o

Niels
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."