Author Topic: Next PP event starts in December  (Read 13927 times)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Next PP event starts in December
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:01:14 pm »
Hello everyone,

As the title strongly suggest, this thread is about the next ProPilot event (and yes, it will start in December).

Now before fully revealing the details of this event, we will give you the opportunity to guess what it is. Here is the first clue:

This first clue does not tell very much indeed, but I will post more clues in the following days. Feel free to comment these, however I will only answer as much as possible without providing premature giveaways (well, I hope :) )

Our anticipated congratulations to the one who will guess it right!

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Re: Next PP event starts in December
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:08 pm »
You got my attention.!

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:44 pm »
You are being very secretive, Andrei; the picture jus  says: "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make sure you are connected to the server". The funny thing is: i can zoom in on that ;)

But since you were not giving away much at this stage anyway, I'll just take a wild guess:
We'll be doing "Santa relief", helping out Santa Claus distributing all those presents around the world ...  ;

Cheers,
E-JD
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:58:23 am »
Sorry about the "secret" Eric-Jan, and the funny thing is that I only used standard forum features (and yes, the picture is stored here on this server too). Maybe I did something wrong however...

And no, it's not "Santa relief", good ol' Santa will have to watch over his deliveries himself this year. Anyway reindeer food is definitely cheaper than aviation fuel (to say nothing about environment-friendliness :) )

Anyway I feel it's time for clue #2:

(I uploaded itinto a more public area, maybe this was the problem with clue #1)

And let me say that clue #2 is actually two clues; but will this be enough for closer guesses?

Andrei

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:04 am »
LOL, it is visible now :)

I guess I'll have to get the F100 to work under FSX then....
Don't recognise the airfield yet ...

mmmmmhhh...

I'll wait for the next clue!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »
The airfield is Berlin - Tegel (EDDT). So i guess we all go to the Rammstein concert in the Velodrome on 19/20/21-12-2009 ;)
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:04:13 pm »
So cold you are... so cold...

;D
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »
@Niels:

Your post made me wonder how the ##$%# you recognized Tegel... until I realized how naive I was to post an image from Airliners.Net, with the photographer name clearly visible. I tried to do the search (and, in the process, learned how to use their search engine, thanks for that). Unsurprisingly, my clue was there. And it is Tegel indeed. But NOT SO FAST, we are not flying there...

To be honest (but not excessively honest :) ), let me say that none of the two aforementioned clues is the airport.

@Eric-Jan:
Practicing the Fokker 100 COULD be useful indeed for this event. By the way, the aircraft in my clue #1 was also a Fokker (but I won't say more before I say too much  :-X )

Anyone else? Comments or guesses? Or is everybody waiting for my clue #3?

Andrei

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:06:40 pm »
I am waiting for the final clue. Approaching the Milky Way.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 11:38:12 pm »
@Niels:

until I realized how naive I was to post an image from Airliners.Net, with the photographer name clearly visible. I tried to do the search (and, in the process, learned how to use their search engine, thanks for that)

;D ;D ;D You're welcome, mate hahaha

I've must have got it now: I've done some google'ing on "Tegel" and came up with this adress: Tegel Foods Ltd
                                                                                                                                     Level 5, Tower B, 100 Carlton Gore Rd
                                                                                                                                     Newmarket
                                                                                                                                     Auckland
                                                                                                                                     http://www.tegel.co.nz/
So... we're flying in a Fokker to Auckland and end up eating chicken!   ::)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:57:09 pm by EHM-1592 Niels »
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:56 am »
Man, I should have recognised Tegel ...
Been there IRL as recent as last week of October ...  :D

So... we're flying in a Fokker to Auckland and end up eating chicken!   ::)

Oh no!! That's my other "VA": ChickenWings VA, callsign Chicken, me being the only pilot: Chicken 241
(that's a good deal, two for one ;))
Can't go to the KFC, now!!!  :o

E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »
OK guys, here goes clue #3:

This time no false clue in the background, no Fokker model to guess and, definitely, there is no second clue in this picture (unless someone realizes now that we are in 2009  ;D )

Erm... no reference to chicken either  ;D

Andrei
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:52:05 pm by EHM-2097 Andrei »

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »
Yeah i love this game. I think (seriously now) it's got something to do with the fact that Amelia Earhart raced in the 1929 Women’s Air Derby.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »
Or 80 Years of Royal Flying Docters service,
or 80 years Vatican city
or 80 years of KFC  ::)
or 80 years since the last big economic crisis, prohibition, Al Capone,
or 80 years since the first lustrum (10 years) of KLM  ???
or 80 years since the Fokker F.IX was introduced on KLM route to the Indies...  ;D

(if you poke around enough you are bound to hit something)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:24:55 am »
(if you poke around enough you are bound to hit something)

Yes, you are. DEFINITELY. Just pleaaaase do not insist on the chicken theme  :)

@Niels:
No, sorry, it's not that. But it's a good idea for the next event...

Any more guesses? I feel there's not much time left, the clue #4 will probably blow up what's left of the secret.

Andrei

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »
Close by the runway of Brisbane's Eagle Farm Airport in Queensland, Australia, there stands an impressive structure of glass and timber inside which is housed one of the world's most famous aeroplane: "The Southern Cross", a three-engined Fokker monoplane. It stands there as a tribute to the greatest of all Australia's pioneer aviators: Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith, or Smithy as he is known by all Australians.
The Southern Cross with Smithy and Charles Ulm made in 1929 the first Sydney, Australia to Croydon, England flight.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 06:08:02 pm »
This is true Hector, and this is why I  took care NOT TO USE the "Southern Cross" pictures to illustrate my first clue Fokker.

Actually I had not heard about the "Southern Cross" before starting to look for clue images for this event so thanks for posting this nice story.

However, we are NOT going to Australia (although my "other candidate" for this event was the London-Melbourne race)... Oops, did I let a tiny clue slip? Yes, but then it's a really tiny one :)

Andrei

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 09:56:26 am »
Sorry, can't help myself digging:

- Commander Byrd explores 1200 nm of Antarctica in 1929 (24 hrs of daylight in December ;))
- Universal offers the first in-flight movie in 1929
- The 1929 world record non-stop London to India flight (~4000 nm, would be fun to track in some 20 legs ::))
- Alain Gerbault makes a round-the-world trip in a sailboat (would have to result in  a float plane tour...)
- The first US coast-to-coast air service is established in 1929. New York to L.A., with one overnight stop (but that would probably be too much like the airmail pioneers tour ;))
- LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin travels around the world from/to New Jersey that year (http://postcardparadise.blogspot.com/2009/09/around-world-with-graf-zeppelin-1929.html
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh makes her first solo flight in 1929
- Charles Lindbergh, on the other hand, makes a 10.000 nm air tour of South America in 1929
- US Army pilot James Doolittle makes the first 100% IFR flight in 1929
- Baron Huenefeld & K.G. Lindner attempted to fly around the world from Berlin in a Junkers W33L in 1929, but stranded in Tokyo
- Art Goebel flew the first non-stop around the world flight, with 7 in air refuelings in 1929 (Wichita-Wichita, KA)
- Friedrick Karl Baron Koenig-Warthausen traveled around the world with Atlantic and Pacific crossings per ship, from Berlin, but in a Daimler-Klemm L20B1. It was not untill some 75 years later that Fokker got taken over by DASA (Daimler Benz' aviation branch). Other than that I see no connection to Fokker ...

Phew ...
I'm done searching for today ;)

Can I buy a vowel?

E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:09 am »
Wow Eric-Jan, this IS digging.And this is leading us far, far away from the event :)

Can I buy a vowel?

No, of course  ;D , but you can get a new clue for free:

I have a strong feeling this is my last clue. From now it's just a matter of connecting the dots.

Anyway, when the whole truth will be revealed, I will also explain each clue in the context (otherwise you may think I just posted random pics from the Internet :) )

Andrei

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 11:07:19 am »
Hm, Fokker is from the Netherlands, KLM is from the Netherlands and as far as I know, Batavia is the latin name of the Netherlands.... (althaugh Batavia Air is from Indonesia  :) )

So I think it has something to do with the Netherlands?????   ;D  ???  ;D
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:50 pm »
This must then be the Batavia memorial flight. In 1929 KLM flew Amsterdam - Batavia for the first time.
And this is the link to the route: http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/pictures/History/Algemeen/Routekaart%20Amsterdam%20Batavia%20groot.jpg

@Manuel

Batavia is the name of the capital of the former dutch colony "Nederlands Indie" nowadays known as Jakarta capital of Indonesia.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:21:24 pm by EHM-1592 Niels »

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »
So... gentlemen, we have a winner! Congrats Niels  8)

Indeed, the event is about reenacting the opening of the commercial route from Amsterdam to (nowadays) Jakarta. You had it in your yesterday list and that's why I tried to suggest that you already had the good guess... but among others yet.

A brief review of the clues:
- Clue #1 was a Fokker VIIb, the model first used along this route.
- Clue #2 was a double one, it showed the F100 that we will use for the event (with a twist, have a little more patience) and the KLM livery, as the company who operated this historical route.
- Clue #3 is now obvious - the route opened in 1929 and we reenact it in 2009 (OK, in 2009-2010 to be more precise).
- Clue #4 was supposed to be the final giveaway, unless no one would know where Batavia is - or was. Not very likely - as you proved it.

Anyway... expect the detailed event route, calendar and route later this week-end.

Andrei

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »
A very ingenious way to start the event Andrei. Congrats.
Congrats Niels. Well done.

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 10:16:26 pm »
Thanks guys,

A great way to start/announce an event indeed. Now i only need to reinstal my DA-F70/100(some DLL troubles). >:(

In advance of the event i hope the time limit for the legs is wide enough, so i can combine it with work, witch is not 9 to 5.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 08:16:01 am »
Congrats, Niels!
And you were right Andrei, I was just shooting hail without aiming  ;) ;D
BTW, as you can see in the route picture by Niels: Batavia is the stop before the last stop.

Great sounding event! Count me in.
I'll have to sort some things out, first (like getting the F100 to work, and then learn to fly her, for instance :D), but I'll start work on that right now ...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

anything