Author Topic: FS9 Freeze  (Read 6105 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
FS9 Freeze
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:20 pm »
Hi
I have encountered a problem that I have never had before. When trying to fly into Gardemoen Airport (Oslo ENGM) FS9 simply freezes at a particular point on the approach to runway 19R. Picture and sound remain but I can't get any response no matter what I do and the only way out is to shut down my PC and reboot. I am using Norwegian Airports freeware. Although I haven't tried all of the other Norwegian Airports, those that I have tried seem OK.

Is anyone able to suggest what the problem may be?

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: FS9 Freeze
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »
I've had this a few times in the past and never successfully traced the problem although many Forum posts I've read suggest it's normally down to a scenery error somewhere. This can sometimes be a Landclass addon that uses a texture folder as well as a scenery folder - this apparently causes a memory leak - or alternatively others suggest certain addon navigation facilities cause the sim to freeze/crash, particularly a VOR somewhere in Germany I believe.

The latter example wouldn't seem to be your issue since it's happening in Norway at a specific point but the principle may be correct.

Have you tried removing this addon scenery temporarily and reflying that flight - this would at least tell you if the addon scenery is the source of the problem or not ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »
---
certain addon navigation facilities cause the sim to freeze/crash,
---
That's what I was thinking of as a first source of trouble ;)

If you have an AFCAD editor, Ian, you could try and see how ENGM and its surroundings area are built up, navaid-wise.
Then look for either:
- two navaids with the same name, but different frequency
- two navaids with different names, but the same frequency

In these situations the navaids "bite" each other, and this can happen when installing addon scenery, when real-life frequencies (or names) get changed over time, while the original FS9 navaids remain the same, of cause.

As Dominic already said: uninstall the addon scenery, try to recreate the problem, and see if the cause in in there somewhere first. Then, after that, you can apply the AFCAD approach to try and solve the situation...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:09:16 pm »
Thanks for reply folks. There definitely seems to be a scenery conflict with this airport. Unfortunately I don't have an AFCAD Editor, Eric-Jan. What you suggest is a bit technical for me!!! However I have no problem with approaches to runways 1L/R so I will engineer things so that I can fly into those runways and leave 19L/R alone. Unfortunately the scenery for Norwegian Airports comes as a complete package - and is very good - and I have no idea how to isolate Gardemoen form the package. Will just have to make the best of it.

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
Ian,

If you look in the Norway Airports scenery folder there should be scenery and texture sub-folders - look in the scenery one for any files with ENGM in the title, these will be the ones for Gardemoen more than likely. Removing these files might fix the issue...

I've got the same scenery on my hard disc at home but I won't be able to check this theory until I get back from holiday next week  ;)

Another thought - try searching the main flightsim file libraries (Avsim.com, Flightsim.com etc) for "Norway airports" files and see if there's a fix for this issue out there - if you've had this problem, it's very likely others have too and normally someone comes up with a solution ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

anything