Author Topic: Propilot Event: Aeropostale Transatlantic Route  (Read 27288 times)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Propilot Event: Aeropostale Transatlantic Route
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:06:33 pm »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:00:39 pm by EHM-2097 Andrei »
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
Re: Propilot Event: Aeropostale Transatlantic Route
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:27 pm »
Quiet promising event, Andrei and like always it makes me very curious. So after reading a bit of the history of Aéropostale crossing of the ocean, I tried to find an original plane that could be used: the Latecoere 631 and the Latecoere Late 28 Aeropostale, both for FSX and FS9. In the hope to be able to fly the event legs as real as possible, I downloaded and installed the Late28 (wheels and float) http://simviation.com//simviation/download.php?ID=6948. However and unfortunately the Virtual Cockpit shows a miserable cockpit (lowres) with very, very small windows. Though that must have been the view of pilots then, I would rather prefer some wider views of the air outside the cockpit. So, I tried to find a equivalent airplane, an oldie! I came up with the Stinson SR8 Gullwing (http://www.justflight.com/product/golden-age-simulations-stinson-junior-for-fsx) and maybe I'll try that one during the event. Maybe someone else has any suggestions of another addon that can be used.

Still have two weeks to decide whether to use the DHC6, the Stinson or even the Late28. First I have to find out how the three of them behave in the sky.

For those who like some additional historical information, try these:
http://wn.com/Latecoere
L'Aéropostale : Mermoz, Saint Exupery et Guillaumet

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:55:00 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
And you make things even more interesting Peter  ;)

Actually, gathering information for this tour has been quite frustrating. I had the "backbone information" remembered from my youth readings, namely the biographical novel "Mermoz" by Joseph Kessel. I was sure that nowadays the Internet would easily provide more precise information, and was very confident when I first looked into Wikipedia. Alas, no precise route there, and almost nothing about the company ships.

The breakthrough was when I realized I am looking at the "wrong" Wikipedia and checked the French one; there is a lot more information there! Even so, some parts are still vague, like the first route Mermoz took across the Andes (and this was another reason to skip that part of the route).

Back to the choice of the aircraft, please note the leg distances, these were "calibrated" for the DHC6 but I am not sure whether these older aircraft can cope with it.

Andrei

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
...and that makes me more curious in return!

After some exploration on the the internet, I found out that Mermoz used the "Trasandino" railtrack to navigate from east to west over the Andes in november 1928, a track build in 1910. As far as I could find, the only map of that track is the Chile part (http://www.flickr.com/photos/panr/5381823153/#). I'll intend to try to find the other parts.

I tested out the Late28 (Latecoere) this afternoon and though it's easy to handle, and simply because I'm spoiled with highres VC's, I think it won't be my choice to fly the event. Tomorrow I'll make a testflight with the Stinson. Who knows....!

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter

edited:

Try the link called "WIKIMAPIA" in the article!
...or this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/panr/5747740079/#sizes/o/in/set-72157625372587810/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:22:11 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:32:15 pm »
Still keep on digging for further information about these flights over endless water and hugh mountains without the aid of modern navigation equipment.

In some articles I game upon this movie: Night Flight from 1933. http://acidemic.blogspot.nl/2013/01/night-flight-1933-andes-is-hard.html! This evening I'm planning to watch that oldie! A nice way to get in the mood for this event.

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:30:04 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 12:39:12 pm »
Thanks for sharing Peter.

In the meantime, all participants please check the original post, I updated it with a piece of REQUIRED custom scenery and the matching installation instructions.

Andrei

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the update, but I have a few remarks, if you don't mind:

- I suppose the bgl-file for FS9 is also the one to use for FSX.
- If so, when installing FSX only recognizes a new Area if the bgl-file is placed in a map with the name: 'Scenery' (f.i. in a map called \Microsoft FlightsimulatorX\Addon Scenery\RefuelStation\Scenery).

- FSX doesn't contain the airport on the Cap Verde Islands named GVNP. Allthough Praia Intl. is visible on Plan-G as Nelson Mandela Intl Airport, it has no ICAO-code.
- The only Cap Verde airport in FSX is GVAC - Amilcar Carbral on - I think - SAL Island, NorthEast of Praia.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:44:44 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Hi Peter,

Indeed, that BGL works also with FSX (and thus those instructions were marked "FS9/FSX")

You are also right about the "Scenery" folder,  but that's exactly what I wrote in the instructions, to copy the file to the "...AddOn Scenery/Scenery" folder. (On the other hand, the "AddOn Scenery" name was misspelled in my post - fixed).

Finally, you are right too about Praia airport (GVNP). It appears this is the new airport that was built in the location of an old one. This "old" airport exists in FS9 as GVFM (name is "Francisco Mendez"). I don't have the means to check in FSX but I expect this airport to be present as well. The proper aliasing will be defined so that FS9/FSX pilots can use GVFM instead of GVNP.

Note also thar GVFM has a shorter runway than GVNP, but even so it's well within the capabilities of the Twin Otter, so we think an AFCAD update was not necessary.

Andrei

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:25:25 am »
Hi Andrei, first of... thanks for this one ;D in my FS9 GO13 works perfect :D. Thanks

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 05:46:11 pm »
All participants please check the initial post again, I updated it with a few notes about the float-equipped aircraft to use for the transatlantic legs.

Andrei

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:22 am »
"before departing at GVNP, it should show "destination" in green, not magenta"
I'm sure you meant "Origin" ;)  :P

But anyway: as long as it shows up in green; then you're good to go  :D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:06 pm »
This is correct... and fixed by now  ;)

And you are right about the "green good, magenta bad" part (quiz: what famous political novel is this a reference to?)

Andrei

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37:32 pm »
Hi Andreij !

Please help !
There is somthing, which I don´t  understand:
What is the difference between an "normal" PP flight _  to lock a flight  and an aircraft  -  and then start with your choosen aircraft at the airport and open the FlightLogger and choose your locked flight

How does it work with the tour ?
Do I have to lock the flight before ?  Do I have to request deadheading to LFBO ?
If I want to make a pp flight between the legs, do I have always requ deadheading ?

Cheers !
Franz
EHM 1800

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:51:14 am »
Hi Franz,

There is a difference indeed, you DO NOT need to lock the flight previously. Just start  a new Propilot flight in FL4, push the button to retrieve the locked flight and it should be there!

For the deadheading I am not 100% how it works, this is Alxander's "baby" :) but personally I did request a deadhead before leg #1. And I am afraid this means that you need deadheads between the event legs as well (it would be useful for someone else to confirm this, though).

What I do know for sure is that unlike assigned flights, there is no way in FL4 to get multiple locked flights and choose the one you want; the server always knows which is THE ONE locked flight you can fly. Thus I assume (or should I say "speculate"?) that when doing other flights interlaced with the event legs, the server decides this based on which event legs are open and your current location.

Unfortunately I cannot try this myself at this time, because I was unable to complete my first leg yet (but I checked FL4 and the first leg is there all right).

So I suggest you first try just getting the leg #1 in FL4. If this does not work, request a deadhead to LFBO (it will be an "instant deadhead" if you are more than 48hrs after your previous PP flight). If this still does not work, please let me know and I will take a deeper look in the database.

Andrei

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 11:27:09 am »
Your PP location needs to be the origin airport you wish to depart from, otherwise FL4 wo'nt retrieve the (automatically) locked flight for you. So yes, you'll need to set a deadhead each time you wish to fly PP from a different location than your last PP landing.
That is: both if you want to "leave" the event for a while, to go fly PP somewhere else, and when you want to re-join the event at your last-landed event location.

Or at least that's how I understood it works. Never flew PP outside an event I participated in, though. So I have no actual experience to tap from, here.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:31 pm »
Hi all, it is just as E-J Said you  have to dead head to the start of the event , if you leave like l do after a leg  to fly other PP flights you have to dead head to a new airport,then dead head back  again to the place you are at in the leg list, so you have 2 24hr stopovers each time, you can still fly anyother flight during this downtime,  Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-2684 Andrew

• Gear up
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 05:24:07 pm »
I want fly GVNP to GO13
When I run Flight Logger it is:

I have installed GO13 and this scenery works.
On the flight from GOOY to GVNP was all right.
What can I do?
Please. Help.  :(

Flight Simulator X, Win7
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:26:50 pm by endriu2510 »

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
AFTER installing the scenery for GO13, did FL4 propose to rebuild the scenery index? If it does, you need to press "yes", so that GO13 finally get to be known by FL4 (which apparently is not the case yes, hence the magenta text).

If FSX does not propose to rebuild the scenery index, it may be a known issues between FL4 and FSX, concerning the SCENERY.CFG file. However, this issue depends on where you did install the GO13 BGL file: drop in <FSX root>\Additional Scenery\Scenery folder, made a specific folder or maybe otherwise? There are multiple possibilities that are all OK for FSX but some are not "reachable" by FL4.

Andrei

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »
Hi mates !

I have  installed GO13 like it was told, scenery was rebuilt FL does recognize it - but how can I find the refueling vessel ?
I don´t see it in FS Navigator, nor in GPS.  I´ve tried to fly round in this aerea and surched, but couldn´t detect any vessel  ???
Do you have exact coordinates ? Alt/Long ?

Or how should  I fly  this leg ?

Cheers
Franz

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:31:28 pm »
You should fly a certain heading, using the VOR at the departure airport, then fly the same heading "in the blind", until you are in reach of the NDB (freq. 313, range 75nm), and then home in on the NDB. The NDB is mouted on the deck of the refuelling ship.
The only thing is: I can't give you the heading, because I am at work without FS. I'll try to figure it out this evening, and answer here.
(Or perhaps someone else can tell the heading...)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »
GO13 is located at N05.53415499 W027.97757990, which is roughly mid-way between V and SBFN.
Out of GVNP, follow a course of 218°Magnetic (use VOR SNT, 116.6 outbound radial 218 to correct for wind drift)
Once out of range of the VOR, remain as best you can on that heading, and your ADF should come alive when within 70 nm of the vessel.
Total distancee is about 625nm, if you take the shortest route, so that's a 4 hour flight at 160 knots.

The challenge is to maintain a heading for a couple of hours (!), and hope you do not miss the 70nm radius circle around the refueling station, or you'll be lost at sea, without fuel...
(8° off-track will get you lost)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2684 Andrew

• Gear up
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
Hi.

My GO13 scenery is good and work, but GVNP not work (FSX)
I deleted scenery GVFM and I created GVNP by Airport Design Editor.
In FL GVNP-GO13 is not green.
In my FSX displays "FL4: Recording started for flight from GVFM to GO13"
I do not know what to do.
Flight Logger reinstalled and still the same.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 03:08:48 pm »
Hi,

This happens because in FSX you are supposed to have GVFM airport, not GVNP.

The easier solution, if you created your own scenery, is rename the airport as GVFM, put the BGL in <FSX root>\Additional Scenery\scenery folder (instead of creating a different folder - in order to bypass the known FSX scenery issue), restart FL4 and let it rebuild the airport index. This way you will have GVFM as a "known airport", just as expected by FL4.

If this doesn't work let me know, there is another solution as well, but I prefer to keep that as a last resort backup so I won't detail it yet. 

Andrei

Offline EHM-2684 Andrew

• Gear up
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »
OK. I deleted own scenery GVNP and I restored original scenery GVFM.
I rebuilt airport index in FL.
GVNP-GO13 is still not green

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
OK then the issue here is GO13 not GVNP or GVFM.

Please check my post above, in reply to your earlier post, in which I explained how things should work after you install the scenery. Regarding to that post, try to explain what went as I said, and what did not. Most important, up to now you didn't say anything about FL4 rebuilding the scenery index - OR not.

Also, after writing down what happens, locate and attach the EHMLOCAL-1.7.DB3 file (of the CORRESPONDING FS installation, if you are using several of them) so that I can see it.

Andrei