Author Topic: EHM Featured Destination - Manila, The Philippines  (Read 2226 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
EHM Featured Destination - Manila, The Philippines
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:44:30 pm »

The Philippines is an archipelagic country in Southeast Asia. It is situated in the western Pacific Ocean and consists of around 7,641 islands that are broadly categorized under three main geographical divisions from north to south: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The Philippines is bounded by the South China Sea to the west, the Philippine Sea to the east, and the Celebes Sea to the southwest. It shares maritime borders with Taiwan to the north, Japan to the northeast, Palau to the east and southeast, Indonesia to the south, Malaysia to the southwest, Vietnam to the west, and China to the northwest.

The Philippines covers an area of 300,000 km2 (120,000 sq mi) and, as of 2021, it had a population of around 109 million people, making it the world's thirteenth-most populous country. Manila is the country's capital, while the largest city is Quezon City; both lie within the urban area of Metro Manila. Manila is highly urbanized and, as of 2019, was the world's most densely populated city proper.

The location of the Philippines, as an island country on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", makes it prone to earthquakes and typhoons.  The Ring of Fire is a region around much of the rim of the Pacific Ocean where many volcanic eruptions and earthquakes occur; it is a horseshoe-shaped belt about 40,000 km (25,000 mi) long and up to about 500 km (310 mi) wide. The Ring of Fire contains approximately 850–1,000 volcanoes (about two-thirds of the world's total) that have been active during the current geological era; the four largest volcanic eruptions on Earth in the current epoch all occurred at volcanoes in the Ring of Fire.

To fully appreciate the dramatic, volcanic landscape of The Philippines, I invite you to fly from the capital Manila to Loakan Airport RPUB, which serves the City of Baguio.  Loakan Airport, the city's only airport, was built in 1934. Its short runway, frequent low visibility, and deep ravines at both ends of the runway continue to challenge pilots greatly, especially when it comes to landing. Runway 09/27 is 5,912 feet long at an elevation of 4,251 feet AMSL. The airport has been closed to commercial operators for safety reasons for some time, but is due to re-open in November 2022 following significant improvement work. EuroHarmony has been contracted to fly test flights in and out of the airport to verify flight safety in all weather conditions before November. These test flights are initially planned for Class 5 aircraft at light weight (no passengers) to establish the safety margin available for the runway length, before any passenger flights are authorised. Weather in the region can be very changeable, so be prepared. You can find some helpful information for approach planning at https://airportnavfinder.com/airport/RPUB/.

EuroHarmony serves The Philippines with Class 7 Division flights from several Hubs, and a daily Class 5 Main Division service from Singapore - you may wish to begin with the flight from WSSS to RPLL before taking your aircraft over the volcanoes and into RPUB. Addon scenery and mesh (to really appreciate the volcanic terrain) is available at the usual places. Please share your flight reports and pictures here so we can all enjoy the challenge!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:07:42 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: EHM Featured Destination - Manila, The Philippines
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:33:29 pm »
I've tried to find charts for RPUB but with limited success! There is only the NDB (272 kHz) to use to locate the field and then a visual approach.

VATSIM Philippines has a couple of visual approach charts available HERE but they don't show you any detail, just the basic rules for joining the visual circuit. There is also an aerodrome chart with text about the airport and runways.

So, good luck, especially if the weather isn't very good  ;D

EDIT - I guess it's worth programming the FMC with some pseudo waypoints (in the PMDG 738) to direct the aircraft over the NDB initially at MSA, then to follow the circuit onto the extended centreline at a suitable lower altitude until the field is in sight. A DIY RNAV approach, if you will... Worth a try for the inevitable low-vis approaches :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:44:35 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 10:00:56 am »
Hi everyone, just completed the trip to RPUB., interesting approach, kept to the West of the mountains until nearly abeam of BG NDB, at 7000ft, could not see the airport until over the last high ground, at 10nm could see it, descended to 6000ft and manually descended for a straight in approach, Plenty of runway with no cargo and no passengers, set approach speed early and flaps and armed speed brakes so less to do on the approach, interesting little flight, flew the WSSS-RPll  flight too, sorry no photos  took some but did not save in my file,  Best Regards Bruce EHM2131   

Can anyone recommend an easy to use screen grabber with just a key press, tried one or too but not easy to use  Bruce EHM2131
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:42:25 pm by EHM-2131 Bruce »

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 11:31:44 pm »
Hi Bruce,

I'm glad you enjoyed your approach into RPUB, it makes for an interesting flight, eh?

I've always used FSScreen for screenshots, I downloaded it years ago from Flightsim.com. I've just checked and it's still available there. It's very simple to use, you just open it when you start Flightsim, then press your Print Screen key on your keyboard however many times you want during your flight to capture an image. Works a treat for me :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 04:59:16 pm »
hello, Dominic, thanks for the link to the FSScreen just what i am looking for tried it a couple of times seems to work ok,  added a shot of the sunset over Iran on my way back to LGAV hope it works Best regards Bruce EHM2131

Seems to be too large
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:01:36 pm by EHM-2131 Bruce »

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 03:49:35 pm »
What a lovely sunset Bruce :)

Glad FSScreen is working for you too!

Thanks for trying out all these destinations Bruce, I hope you're finding them interesting.
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 09:01:53 pm »
Hello, Dominic,  yes some interesting new airports/countries, thought more members would use them, maybe as winter approaches more will come on l seem to be the only one on pro pilot lately , best regards Bruce EHM-2131

anything