Author Topic: ATP-long range  (Read 3433 times)

EHM-1554 Chris

ATP-long range
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:26:04 pm »
Do other people agree with me that once you have gained the hourse for atp and can then do long haul and transatlantic flights, that it can be not as interesting as flying the shorter routes on say 737 or CRJ200 on smaller routes to spain and so on....?

Offline EHM-0962 Zhen Yi

• Martian transfer
ATP-long range
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 02:32:32 pm »
It is true that once you reach the ATP rank you can do transcontinential flights, but at the same time you can do the lower rank flights too. Some people may feel that flying across the oceans can be very boring but that can be countered by with the use of higher simulation rate provided that the system hour and not the Simulator hours are recorded. Flying and landing a heavy jet is a very different experience from doing so in a small plane, and also requires skills and practice to perfect. In light of that, flying large jets can also be very interesting.
Singapore vACC Controller (S1)
Clearance Delivery Training

EHM-1554 Chris

ATP-long range
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 03:38:27 pm »
yea i agrree it cn be gud flying long haul..... also the landing of the large jets. which routes and acft do u usuaklly fly....

Hey whast is everybody's fav plane at ehm?

EHM-1199 Philip

ATP-long range
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:31 pm »
Originally posted by Chrisp
Do other people agree with me that once you have gained the hourse for atp and can then do long haul and transatlantic flights, that it can be not as interesting as flying the shorter routes on say 737 or CRJ200 on smaller routes to spain and so on....?

Certainly - flying for many hours with the weather set to fair and the skys more or less empty can be quite dull. My recommendations for making your flight more interesting are as follows:

If flying offline:
1: Try downloading the PAI aircraft to ensure your departure and arrival are busy and include real airline traffic. Makes for far more fun.
2: Register at www.ais.org.uk and access the appropriate charts for your flight. Try to take your aircraft out following a real-life SID and bring your aircraft in to land on a real life STAR. All of a sudden the challenge is far more appropriate.
3: Never fly direct - always use appropriate airways.
4: Fly with real-world weather downloaded from the Internet. This is easy to setup in FS2004 but requires if I remember correctly a cheap addition to be purchased for FS2002 and earlier.
5: Fly your flight by taking off following the SID and then attain cruising altitude. Once there, turn time compression on to a high level (16X or 32X) until you are about 250NM away from your destination, then, back to 1X time compression and follow the last few waypoints including landing using the STAR.

If flying online:
You can't use time compression so now you do need to have the full flight time available to make the flight. You will automatically be flying with real weather and now you can use SID/STAR and real ATC.

Either eay, flying the big jets on a transcontinental route should be great fun.

Enjoy :)

EHM-1554 Chris

ATP-long range
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 04:05:17 pm »
Yea thanphil thast really good ideas...
Ever since my first flight online i have never gone back to offline flying:P

I have done one transatlantic route for eurobuiss. lisbon to Kennedy in the bbj. the flight was good half way there i was getting slightly bord but persisted and making the app was great and after wards i felt great. but the shorter fights in europe with full atc are reall great aswell.

EHM-1438 Nikos

ATP-long range
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:54:40 am »
In fact once someone becomes ATP starts flying long range flights for a while. Hpwever and personally speaking, I never gave up short range flights as they involve more landings. I mean with this if I fly 8-10 short range flights of about 1 hour each I will do five landings instead of the one involved in a flights from Athens to Tokyo. I guess most pilots would agree that landing is the most interesting part of a flight.
However I also like climbing to FL370 on a 747 fully loaded. It's all a matter of what mood you are in.
Flying online is a whole different experience an dof course much more realistic. In addition if you try to climb a A346 fully loaded to its final level (say FL370) most probably you will have to fly for a while at a lower level and the FS2002 default ATC will cancel your IFR...

EHM-1539 Pierre

ATP-long range
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 12:02:34 pm »
True, but I'm in a hurry to speak to a japanese controller, and it'll be difficult in EHM ops with a turboprop ^^