Author Topic: Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?  (Read 3957 times)

EHM-1199 Philip

Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« on: March 26, 2005, 10:11:50 pm »
I know we had a poll running for a while on the home page but what are folks opinions regarding IVAO vs. VATSIM?

I recently found with a bit of help from here (thanks Cyriel) that IVAO was easy to get up and running and therefore my Online provider of choice. However, now VATSIM have produced Squawkbox3 which claims to be a one stop solution in the same way as VATSIM which is the best provider?

I noticed tonight for example that my IVAO flight in Greece was without ATC and very quiet regarding other traffic. VATSIM however seemed buzzing by comparison. I have now sussed my VATSIM registration and intend to keep my eyes open for the best ATC coverage for my flight. Is VATSIM usually a lot busier?

Also, I like awards etc. In Vatsim I don't know how to get to a pilot information screen about me that shows my hours flown and the award structure (if there is one). Does anybody know if VATSIM have an awards/promotion structure and if so how I can log in and access that data?

EHM-1365 Benjamin

Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:45:06 am »
In response to the how busy the 2 networks are, this is down to where you fly. If you fly in the US or UK you will find a lot more control and traffic on VATSIM. But through the rest of Europe the general trend shows IVAO to be more popular. IVAO does seem to be centered around Europe, and rather randomly Brazil.
The networks are also structured very differently, and I have never quite understood how VATSIM works.

EHM-0001 Gergely

Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:44:14 am »
VATSIM is usually much less busier than IVAO, also they are concentrated mostly on the US. However, they have just released a new pilot client, so traffic and ATC number is very high now, as everyone is trying the new software. I guess after a couple of weeks, the number of people flying on VATSIM will decrease, although it will be still higher than the levels before.

Both networks are an environment for flying with ATC, but the experience, the athmosphere differs. Some claim VATSIM is more professional, however not many people can confirm this. If you like, try both networks, and decide which one is for you - or fly on both, depending on ATC coverage.

VATSIM does not have an awards/promotion structure, except the upgrades for controllers (4 controller and 2 instructor ratings).

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 10:58:27 am »
Personally, I found that VATSIM took things far more seriously (in the UK, they copy real-world control structures and procedures), which to be honest didn't suit me and my flying style (not quite as real as it gets... ;D)

Haven't flown on VATSIM for ages though, so things could well have changed...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:47:41 pm »
Generally I use IVAO in Europe and South Africa  and Vatsim in the USA - just because of the distribution of controllers. I always check out which network has controllers in the area I want to fly in, and then use that network.

Both lots of controllers are helpful if you are not sure what you are doing.

EHM-1438 Nikos

Advantages IVAO/Vatsim?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 10:10:26 am »
As it concerns professionalism I think it depends up to a significant degree to the specific controller. In some areas VATSIM contoller take their jobs as serious as they do not accept a flight plan without correct information about estimated flight duration and fuel time or even a flight plan without alternative destination airport. However this is quite rare and most controllers are willng to help you and also help in maintening the friendly atmosphere.