Author Topic: How do you navigate while flying online?  (Read 3282 times)

EHM-0180 Felix

How do you navigate while flying online?
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:09:56 pm »
Hi,
When I flew online with squawkbox 2, I always used the fms to navigate. It had a lot of functions and you could enter nearly every waypoint to fill in your flight route.
But now I have a problem. In squawkbox 3 the fms exists no more and I don't know how to navigate. I tried the flightplanner of fs but it's to simple. You can't really change the route during the flight to follow the commands of the atc.
So I need something new, and I ask you how do you navigate while flying online? And who used the fms before in squawkbox 2 like me?

Thanks for your answers.

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 09:34:04 pm »
There is a program called FSNav that many people like to use. Or if your using LDS/PMDG etc, you can use there planes FMC.

EHM-1328 Willem

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:24:42 pm »
There is a free FMC  at  http://fmc.scumari.nl/

rgrds,  Willem.

EHM-1655 Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 02:11:56 am »
I used the FMS in SB2 as well and found it has the biggest component missing in the new SB3. SO i decided to purshace some PSS aircraft and use there panels on my aircraft since there so much cheeper than others and works excellent. I've seen heaps of people reccomend the free one above but havent used it myself so dont know if its worth it or not.

Anyway Good Luck

EHM-0180 Felix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 07:07:53 pm »
I Think I'll test the free version of FSNav. I already heart of it.

Thank you for your answers.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 10:10:25 am »
Bah! Be a man and use dead rekoning ;D!

If you don't mind the fairly high workload, there's always "pure" radio navigation. Couple RN with the FS GPS, or the RealityXP add-on GPS units (all three of them... the Apollo, and the Garmin 430 and 530 units...) and you have more than enough for online flying (which of course you are already doing as a Sim-Pilot :)).

FS-Nav and/or FS-Build 2 are the logical step up from RN and GPS.

Then top of the pile, and as already mentioned, the bigger birds often have an FMC (PMDG, LevelD, PSS and a number of others have really accurate FMC simulations): Project Magenta do both Boeing-type and Airbus-type separate FMS's when you are ready to take your simulation to the next level, and of course, there are a few companies that make plug'n'go USB/serial/keyboard CDU units to control the PM CDU (just need to do the final building of my FDS Elite CDU and couple it to my PM GC/CDU comp... so much unpacking, so little time...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 09:56:21 pm »
FSNav for me - great little programme, couldn't fly with out it !!