Author Topic: C1 Exam  (Read 5528 times)

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« on: November 05, 2005, 02:26:57 pm »
I will be taking my IVAO C1 exam on Thursday at 1900Z onwards, at Stansted (EGSS). The exam will last about an hour probably. I am being examined by Ben Horsfall, EHM-1365, who happens to be my hub captain.

Traffic is welcome and appreciated, both IFR and VFR. Come and make me sweat!

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 09:42:00 pm »
Just as a reminder the exam is tomorrow night (Thursday the 10th) at 1900Z. I really do need traffic, anything, an IFR to/from anywhere, VFR circuits, or a VFR flight locally to or from EGSS.

I will be controlling EGSS_TWR, and I do now have voice, so dont worry about typing. Ben is on EGSS_X_TWR (the examier). No positions are booked yet.

Controllers would be welcome: on the new Essex Radar EGSS_E_APP (C1 and above, and you really have to be involved with the GB division to understand all the procedures); on Stansted Director (C1 FRA); on EGTL_CTR (C2); and EGTT_CTR (C2). None of these are booked yet, but it would help if you were an experienced GB Division Controller to make my exam easier.

Sorry for all this blab.

EHM-1281 Cyriel

C1 Exam
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 11:38:38 pm »
I have not been controlling lately so I will not take APP. I might be able to squeeze in a flight though.

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 07:26:49 am »
Stupid me:

Originally posted by me on the IVAO GB forums

Well that was a bit of a disappointment, or should I say failure. I know I can do better than that, I fell apart under the influence of the examiner and forgot a lot of things that I knew how to do.

I got 65/100 - which I thought was a bit rubbish, but I deserved it, I forgot most of the stuff I knew.

I was a bit unlucky with some of it, a VFR pilot said he was going to do a VFR local flight around the area via PM, then he just flew a really big circuit (not his fault at all), so I lost marks for keeping him in the circuit while he was not under my control (I UNICOMed him as I thought he was going away).

Lots of other little things:

- VFR squawks - I thought it was 7000, but apparently that's only for uncontrolled airspace
- Wind checks, I didn't know you had to round the winds to 10 degrees, I thought you just read them off the meter
- Using phraseology "Report established on final", instead of "Join final, report runway in sight" - I knew that and I'm kicking myself
- East/West rule, I thought I checked them all, but I missed a couple I think - one of them was to EGLL  
- VFR/IFR FPs, I misssed out that one guy had got an IFR FP, for a VFR route
- Not saying the QNH on the second of the same pilot's circuit, I didn't know you had to do that, I thought as long as it didn't change then that was OK
- I totally forgot to coordinate with CTR
- I didn't know you had to give full taxi instructions for a C1 exam
- I didn't aknowledge ATIS receipts, which I know that you're supposed to do, and I know how to do that, I only remembered that I hadn't while Ben and Gaz were preparing the debrief  
- and once I said 'radar identified', totally forgetting that I was TWR

I think thats it! Oh well, life goes on, and I will retake, just with this list in front of me! I know I can do a lot better than that. So, very disappointed with myself

EHM-1670 Bill

C1 Exam
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 09:14:49 am »
That was an unfortunate result but  at least you have the moral fortitude to publicly acknowledge where you went wrong.

Hopefully in the light of day you will find the disappointment you went through last night will increase your resolve to crack it next time.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
C1 Exam
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:00:44 am »
Hi Iain,

Poor luck m'a friend, but I am completely sure that next time you'll do better!

After all you already know where you miss it so you will not miss it again.

Keep your head up!

Regards,

Offline EHM-1555 Kendy

• Climbing
    • Some Flight Videos - and some fun performance
C1 Exam
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 12:37:54 pm »
Hi Iain,

sorry that you failed the exam. But thank you for posting the result, cause there are some helpful lines who other controllers can use.

I didn't yet my practical (theory exam passed), but I can do it next year, but I know how it is with different phraselogy (CTR position or country), for example I control in the Munich FIR and at KIAD (US) sometimes I say "taxi into position and hold" which would be wrong in EU...should be " Line up RWY XY., also VFR flights and traffic pattern are different.....(also that you speak most of the time english, but on VFR you have to speak german)

Anyway Iain, better luck next time !

best regards,

Kendy ;)

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
C1 Exam
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 09:17:31 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1617
Stupid me:

Originally posted by me on the IVAO GB forums
- VFR squawks - I thought it was 7000, but apparently that's only for uncontrolled airspace

Actually, i should be 7000 in controlled airspace, ir it might lower lower class airports.

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 07:49:21 am »
Hmm, Tim well if you want to take it up with Gareth Richardson, GB-AOC (GB ATC Operations Coordinator, C3), then you are more than welcome to do so ;):] But he told be that in controlled airspace it is uaually a code starting 70**. When they leave controlled airspace, you say "XXXXX, Radar services terminated, squawk 7000, switch to UNICOM on 122.8

EHM-1500 Jim

C1 Exam
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 02:08:30 pm »
Bad luck Iain, sorry i couldn't make it to help out with some traffic - best luck next time and let us know again so we can come and test you out!!! Jim

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07:02 pm »
Sorry I totally forgot to say here, but I just had the exam again and it went brilliantly. I passed with 81/100, happy with that, made a few mistakes but I know what they are and won't do them again. :]:):D

EHM-1343 Jonathan

C1 Exam
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 08:19:48 pm »
Congrats Iain, well done mate
We had total faith in you, :%

EHM-1365 Benjamin

C1 Exam
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 09:27:21 pm »
Well done Iain! Sorry again about all the mix-up - but glad it still took place.

Drinks are on you ;)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
C1 Exam
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 10:16:01 pm »
Well done Iain, Speak to you soon on..... EGLL Approach?????

Congrats
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
C1 Exam
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 11:54:04 pm »
Sorry Iain for not beeing there but i was at work tonight so graulations on your new C1 rank :-) keep up the good work:-)
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe

EHM-1617 Iain

C1 Exam
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:06 am »
Thanks. I will take Heathrow Director - I know you fly there a lot.

EHM-1500 Jim

C1 Exam
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 08:20:19 am »
Well done Iain....congratulations...looking forward to your ATC sometime soon, Jim

anything