Author Topic: IVAO Flight Captain Exam  (Read 11966 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« on: November 13, 2005, 01:28:28 pm »
Me again ;D

What's involved  in the IVAO FC exam(s) (i.e., what's the syllabus)?

Just wondering if I should step up to the plate and actually get this rating...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:11:10 pm »
I think you should Murray...i have done and passed the theory bit but just cant find a free moment these days to actually arrange the check flight. Good luck...Jim

EHM-1365 Benjamin

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:58:43 pm »
Hi Murray,

The theory exam contains still basic elements of flying, just in a bit more detail than the old SB exam. So you still get questions about what different icons on TCAS mean, different frequencies and about phraesology etc. Other things you would be expected to show are good understanding of instruments and charts - all this sort of thing that I am sure you already know ;) (dont think it goes past L5 in the Ipack - don't hold me to that though)

For the practical, there is just a simple VFR and IFR flight. For the IFR, you would need to be able to track direct to VORs and NDBs, while maintaining altitude instructions (eg. dct BIG, cross BIG at 6000ft). You will also need to be able to intercept an ILS with vectors and follow it.
For VFR flight, you would just need to depart and navigate fairly near to the airport, reporting as neccessary(sp?). Then with an entry back into the pattern for landing.

Simple - definately not beyond your abilities :P

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 03:18:22 pm »
Thanks Jim/Ben (Ben, just the sort of detail I was hoping for...)

Well, I just passed my IVAP exam with 95/100 (my incorrect answer was to a question about "force act"; see the Online forum. Looking the correct answer to satisfy myself), so I think I'll study up on radio nav (which I haven't done in years... bloody GPS...) and I'll give it a shot I think.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1617 Iain

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 05:48:35 pm »
I reckon you should... I passed the theory with about 87/100 without revising at all in less than 30 minutes... you'll be fine. I haven't taken the practical yet but by the sound of it its not too hard (not as hard as C1 :]:$)

EHM-0001 Gergely

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:43:35 pm »
Hi Murray

The FC theoretical is very similar to the C1 theoretical, so I guess you won't have problems with that.

On the practical, there's an IFR flight (departure, VOR navigation, ILS app, go around) and a VFR pattern. No such things as SID/STAR, non-precision approach, missed app procedure, holding, procedure turn etc.

So go for it! :)

Gergely

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:39:13 pm »
Digging up an old topic here, but just finished the FC theory exam.

Not too sure how I've done... little nervous in fact (and so I should be...) but I am hopeful.

Didn't get any particularly nasty questions (like the one about "identify the navigation aids on this chart" which features a US chart... I'm a UK pilot for f***s sake! I know UK charts!) but there is at least one that I am really not sure about... one particular one I kept changing the answer and I'm just hoping that my final choice was the right one...

Ah well, we'll see I suppose... Ben! Any chance of some pre-practical training/advice? (...hard, I know...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:51:49 pm »
Bug*er...

70/100 - only just, but a fail.

All part of the learning experience however. I'll come back at it all the stronger in a fortnight.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:57:51 pm »
Oh Murray, poor luck my friend.

Better luck next time!! :)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 11:58:07 pm »
I failed first time as well Murray ;) (69/100) Second time I only got 75, just enough to pass!

Good luck with it.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 05:30:48 pm »
I'm taking my second go at the FC theory right now, and I'm very happy with my answers in only 11 minutes!

Trumpet blowing I know, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get 100% second time around... (And I'm going to move this thread into the online forum... It's about online things after all...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1365 Benjamin

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 07:53:52 pm »
Congrats Murray ;) - good score

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 08:02:30 pm »
Cheers Ben (90/100 for those of you that aren't part of the IVAO training family ;D)

I think I know where I went wrong with one of the two I got wrong, but I'll check them both with you Ben (if you don't mind. I like to complete my knowledge where possible...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1365 Benjamin

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 08:49:16 pm »
Of course ;) ...awaiting your e-mail

EHM-E4S

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 09:30:12 pm »
well, I think that's me out! I don't have clue how the TCAS works. All I know is when a white thingy is coming towards the center. I'm in trouble!

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 10:02:17 pm »
Chill Matt.

No-one is expecting you to do any of the IVAO exams in what, your first week on IVAO... I've got the best part of 1100hrs online (flying and controlling) and I'm only just getting around to doing the FC theory exam - the piloting equivalent of the C1 controller rating I already hold.

You've still got the wonder of the IVAP exam before you... don't be in so much of a hurry... :)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 01:07:36 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1365
Of course ;) ...awaiting your e-mail

Thanks Ben ;)

Any chance of a "mock" on the practical? I'd dearly love to do as much preparation as I can.

Regarding the IFR portion of the practical; I'm guessing from your language in the second/third post that use of the autopilot/autothrottle is frowned upon ;D)

What aircraft(s) would I be taking the practical in (suggestions welcomed)? I'd want to get maximum familiarity with type before going into the practical, and potentially RealityXP all the gauges for best possible functionality.

(I'll check all this in the main/GB IVAO training depts, just in case it's already answered...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1365 Benjamin

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:06:18 pm »
Hi Murray

Regarding the autopilot...you misunderstood my language there ;) - the use of the autopilot is not frowned upon at all for the FC (or SC) exam. Only once you reach the SFC are you required to fly certain excercises manually. I will add that for the SC exam, certain procedures require manouvers beyond the AP capabilities, so you are 'free to use the autopilot at your own risk'.

As for the aircraft, it is really up to you - just a nice turboprop (if you want something from the EHM fleet, I would say stick to Class 1-2).

Re the training, just request it from the GB Training system and I will assign it to myself and go from there.

Good luck with the practical ;)

EHM-1617 Iain

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 05:17:33 pm »
I did the exam in the B190. Nice aircraft, nice panel. I did not use the autopilot, for the simple reason that I don't trust myself to program the autopilot correctly - if you muck up, "I put the wrong altitude in the window!" or "It didn't do what I told it to!" obviously won't be accepted as an excuse ;D

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »
Thanks Ben/Iain - Concise answers as always. PMDG B1900 I think ;D (which I have plenty enough hours in to pick it back up pretty quickly...)

Final questions following my own "investigations" - is it one or two airfields that are required for the practical? And is there an airfield "minimum equipment list" for the practical? (Iain, which field did you choose, f'rinstance?)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1365 Benjamin

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 07:36:09 pm »
For the airfield, basically it must have an ILS and be suitable for VFR, with some VORs/NDBs nearby. One is enough, and personally I prefer it to remain a local flight rather than a flight between two fields. As a general rule, I like to keep the exams out of the way from busy traffic, so usually request that the pilots choose a small or regional airport.

To keep it local for you (and me), I would suggest Biggin on the Bump ;)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 07:39:28 pm »
And there was I going to ask for Bournemouth (close enough to my old stomping ground of Pompy that I can VFR pretty well with the photo scenery...;))

Aircraft-wise, I've had a "fiddle" with my B1900 install and it's a bit of a dog, in all honesty. Would the Piaggio P180 Avanti be an acceptable substitute?
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1617 Iain

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 09:17:27 pm »
I rather randomly chose Liverpool (which couldn't be much further from my home yet remain in England...). Lots of NAVAIDS near enough, ILS, big runway, easy taxiways, not a FR killer.

EHM-1671 Ben

IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 04:33:34 am »
Lol, don't be too disheartened Murray, 70/100 in New Zealand is a great pass... the pass mark for almost everything is 50/100!!! WOW!!!

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
IVAO Flight Captain Exam
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 09:36:26 pm »
how long do you have to wait? I just did an exam, and I am 99% sure It went well. The only thing I think i got wrong was one of the simplest things.

What does ATIS stand for?

The moment I saw it, I did my usual thing. "I know this, now, where in my head is it" I wish the brain was like a computer My Documents>Flight Folder>Atis>What does it mean?