Author Topic: Crash Investigation  (Read 4765 times)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
Crash Investigation
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:12:06 pm »
As you may know, I crashed a 737 tonight on the runway at Tegel! Here's my Crash report!

I had flown a 747 on the previous flight and for some reason the elevator trim was acting quit strangely during this flight when on autopilot. I had the ILS approach set up but was loosing too much height. I disengaged Autothrottle and increased power to compensate.This corrected the low approach. I disengaged autopilot to flare for landing and due to the elevator trim overcompensating for the autopilot, immediatley I pulled back gently on the stick, the aircraft nose pitched up too steeply, high enough to lift the aircraft off the ground again and stall.

In a little more detail: Everything was going normal with Autopilot switched to Approach. At about 2 miles from the threshhold I noticed the ILS was showing I was going low. I Was decelerating from about 150kn to 140kn so I switched the Autothrottle off and applied a little more power to correct this. I had noticed earlier in the flight that the Elevator Trim was very high. (it was about +/- 15.0) I wasn't watching this on my Final so I can't tell you what it was as I slowed down but as soon as I disengaged the Autopilot to Flare, the nose pitched up sharply and the plane stalled causing a crash. (I was at about 145kn IAS when I flared) I have noticed a few times recently that the Trim has been doing strange things even with the Autopilot off. (I had trouble getting a PSS A320 off the ground yesterday as it was trimming the elevator and keeping it on the ground automatically, even with the Autopilot off.

In short can anybody explain why my FS is trimming so heavily automatically, even with the Autopilot turned off?
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1539 Pierre

Crash Investigation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 11:36:22 pm »
Using FMC ? (payware)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
Crash Investigation
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 12:33:06 am »
Nope, I was using the standard EHM 737-800 with Hector Molina's panel. I do have FSnavigator if that makes any difference.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
Crash Investigation
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 02:57:37 am »
In addition to the above, I am currently over the Atlantic in an A340-600. The load is not maxed as I don't need a full load of fuel for the KORD to LSZH flight but my Elevator is trimming at 12.7 degrees which I am sure cant be right. Does any body have any idea what could be causing this? (Wish me luck for the landing!  :o )
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2089 Vincent

• FL100
Crash Investigation
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:39:16 am »
I too did notice strange stuff as explained by Phillip with the bigger planes, especially 747, 777 and 767, and also A340. Did not try with A380 as yet (offline)

What I usually do is try and line up with the runway much much earlier than required (wherever possible because of terrain too) and ensure that all my 3 systems, altitude, speed and heading is managed by the autopilot. Once established on the localizer, I check myself again by pressing the approach option and if plane is not behaving or turning violently, I leave it running or resort back to handling using heading autopilot. I always do a lower than glide slope approach, it helps me to correct quicker if necessary than being too high to land!!

But most of it all, its the weight of the aircraft that matters. I do notice that FS plays around with weight at bit and shorter flights of FS with full fuel can be a big culprit. Second is the speed, if you have more than half the fuel, then land somewhere around 160, else make it on 150. Since you are lower than glide slope, touchdown tends to be a little more smoother as on power I hover the plan till the threshold of landing is reached. Then a quick flip of the autopilot, and the plan touches down smoothly.

All said and done, I do notice one thing - thats called ANXIETY.... whenever I come to land when playing  online on Vatsim, my heart beats much faster, touches close to 90 instead of 72 bpm and I tend to do a harsh landing ... Now I keep practicing landing in the airport and practicing my flight plan from the area when I need to fall below FL100 and then only do the real live stuff.

Hope this helps!!
Vincent,
Bangalore