Author Topic: Online long flight group event  (Read 42339 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Online long flight group event
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 11:18:39 am »
Jay,

Best I can offer you at this juncture is either next month we'll fly on VATSIM (already planning this event BTW), or if it's a distance event you're after, we can hold Long Flight #2 on VATSIM (April time...)

The majority of our pilots fly on IVAO, and since the last few events we've done on VATSIM haven't had all that many participants...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-0744 Alex

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 09:48:23 pm »
Great event, I'll try 100% to be there for the second leg, I'm pretty sure I can't make the whole trip. I'll be sure when I know the approximate times.

As for the charts for GCLP:

www.aena.es

Then you can put it in English, go to the AIS section on the left menu.

Then choose AIP Spain, you need an account, but theyre free and easy to make. Then go to "Aerodromes". Then choose GCLP from the list and they have all the charts.

This is also valid for all spanish airports.

Cheers!!

Alex;)

EHM-1343 Jonathan

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 11:05:49 am »
nice link alex...
I will be there, but will not be present the whole flight:$
Need to revise and suff like that, and hopefully my football team are not playing ;D

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 11:52:30 am »
Just to point out, I will be making a couple of chart packs for the event page later today, so anyone without an AENA account can hold off if they want to...

EDIT: As promised and only a few hours late, I've added four chart download links to the event page.

• Full - contains all the GCLP charts from AENA (for those that want realism)
  • Reduced - The barest minimum charts for those in the full event; aerodrome, GMC, STAR, IAC(VORDME-ILS) and SID for "both" runways
  • Destination - The barest minimum charts for those only doing the first leg; aerodrome, GMC, STAR and IAC(VORDME-ILS) for "both" runways
  • Departure - The barest minimum charts for those only doing the second leg; aerodrome, GMC and SID for "both" runways
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 12:39:18 am »
Murray, I am proud of you.

Excelent quality on your fly-in. Keep it up.

(and yes, I want to say this in "public") ..

Regards,

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 11:46:42 am »
Thanks Bruno.

BTW, do you know a good, free source for charts for LPPT? At the moment, that's my only sticking block charts-wise.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 04:06:23 pm »
Hi,

I will send it to you via email. I have it on my computer at home ...

EHM-0744 Alex

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006, 09:01:43 pm »
Do we have an approximate time for connection/departure at GCLP?

Offline EHM-1657 Jay

• Super cruise
    • http://www.ewr0688.com
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 09:18:53 pm »
Oh ok, well that is alright Murray. I will just keep representing EHM on VATSIM then on my own ;D
[img]

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 11:34:09 am »
Originally posted by Alex
Do we have an approximate time for connection/departure at GCLP?

Not yet, but good thinking Alex. I'll see if I can set the 777 up to fly the start of the flight so I can get an ETE out of the FMC.

I can only speak for myself when I say once the first leg is finished I *WILL* be taking 45 minutes break.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 12:31:01 pm »
Well, I will fly a 747, and if we do not want to make some formation flight ;) there can be huge differences between arrival times, according to the plane type. I myself will do about an hour brake. It will be enough for unboarding and refill the plane.

See ya on the flyin.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 01:35:11 pm »
A good point, and well made.  I'm guessing it'll be a toss-up between the 744 and the 763 as to which will be the "slower" across this sort of distance. I'll do a  check on the 744 FMC as well for comparison with the 772.

Anyhow, regarding the 45 minutes value, I got that out of a Boeing Airport Planning document for the 777-200LR :)

EDIT: Just checked the fleet pages so I know for sure; at a range cruise of 0.80M, the 763 is the slowest, then the 744 and the 772 at 0.85M (that's correct for the 772 on the PM FMC for a cost index of 75, BTW) However, I can always use 0.80M on the 772 FMC to get the ETE for that speed ;D)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 09:26:21 am »
NUDGE! Lisbon [LPPT] charts added to the event page.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
NUDGE! Atlanta [KATL] charts added to the event page.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:30 pm »
Hi folks,

I thought I will made some research on the route planning. I realized there are not any routes from Atlanta to Gran Canaria...you have to make some direct jumps on the beginning. I made a flightplan with FSNAV, through Bermuda island. The trip became 3800 nm with SID and STAR. This distance takes 07:50 at M0.85 and 08:20 at M0.80 So, if we define a common flightplan we can arrive within about half hour distance. This means about 18:00 GMT arrival time to Gran Canaria, and probably 18:30...19:00 GMT departure time for the second leg.

;)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 10:25:40 pm »
Ok, I'm now the proud owner of the PSS 777 so I will be spending the next 2 weeks in the Simulator trying to get up to speed.

I know Robert has said he will try and get the repaint done for us in time (Thanks very much Robert, I know I will appreciate it) but what version should we choose from the IVAO MTL for our flight? I suppose the standard Boeing Commercial Aircraft version would be closest to our livery. What do you other 777 pilots think?

Cheers,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 08:29:09 am »
Robert, that's a little weird.

I let FSN auto-calc a route last night (funnily enough, while I was letting FS fly the RouteFinder route), and it was 4600nm with the same Bermuda/Azores trans-Atlantic hop.

Without real-world weather on the RF route takes around 9 hrs, but I will be running it again over the weekend with ASV weather and I suspect the Jetstream will be a big help.

I also have a nasty feeling that going that far south will see you in the Easterly jetstream. Much like Iain, I have no documentary proof of this, but I remember the Corriolis Effect means that the jetstreams in the Northern hemisphere run to the East in the Northern North Atlantic and to the West in the Southern North Atlantic...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 10:59:29 am »
Hi,

Well, I suggest you start suggesting flight plans because we will need to choose one.
Murray will look at them and select one.

About the PSS 777 I am using it for the last 8/10 flights and the airplane is absolutely awsome. I suggest you do some tests around an airport to see how it behaves. Also, there is a new flight dynamics pack developped from a guy that will place the airplane more realistic.

The link for it is : http://rapidshare.de/files/10384404/PSS_777_FDE_v1.0.zip.html (then click the "FREE" button).

Regards,

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 03:10:42 pm »
Thanks for the link Bruno, I will take a look at it now.

She was only delilvered at Boeing Field yesterday so I ran through the tutorial flight from the PSS website last night (instead of reading the manual cover to cover)

Everything was great until I came to establishing on the GS. For some reason, the aircraft didn't lock the glideslope so I ended up going around and trying again, still no joy. It established on the localizer and followed correct heading, but it just did not decend. Is there a seperate switch for the second Autopilot like on the Airbus series for performing CAT I or CAT II landings? I can't see that I missed anything, maybe I just put something wrong in the FMC. (Or maybe its the Nasty Flat Battery problem that plagues the PSS Airbuses) Anyway, once the Lisboa-Dakar event is put to bed, I will spend the next 2 weeks flying curcuits and short hops in the Trip 7 to get used to her.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 03:54:08 pm »
Hmm... Well Phil, looking at the panel manual (as I have yet to land the 777) all you need to do is engage the APP button and the panel logic takes care of the rest (capturing LOC and GS, turning on the three A/P units for AUTOLAND...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 04:25:39 pm »
Hmmm That's what I thought, it must be the Battery Bug as I have seen in the forums that it is causing strange problems.

Thanks for your help Murray, I'm off to register my copy FSUIPC and get rid of this problem once and for all!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2006, 06:17:58 pm »
Hi,

Philip, you are saying that you see the glidescope needle and the airplane dont lock on it or you even dont see the glidescope needle ?

Because I have a problem like that too. It also doesnt lock on VOR's ...
I got a way to go around that but first confirm my question.

Regards,

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 07:06:48 pm »
Yes that's the problem, I see the needles and get a heading lock, (Horizontal lock or LNAV)  just no Glide Slope lock. (Vertical or VNAV)

I have just read on the PSS forum about a possible cure for this by reducing the Realism settings to 50% or less. I will try this when I get home tonight on a short flight to see if it works. Is that the cure you had in mind Bruno?

Cheers
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:24 pm »
Well, when I let FSNav autocalculate the route it just followed the available routes, so went high north along the coastline, then sharply down to Bermuda and it seemed too long. I redrawn it to a more linear form and I got the distance above. But as Bruno said, I let Murray choose the correct route plan ;)

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:51 pm »
Hi,

Philip, I noticed that this doesnt happen for the first time that you fly the airplane (after you install it).

After some investigations, I got a way to know if you will have that problem or not. Basically you:

1. Connect the ground power on the setup panel.
2. Turn on the battery, then the PRI GND POWER.

Now, here comes the trick. After this you will get power on the airplane, so, you turn on the beacon lights and yougo to the spot plane view and check if the beacon lights are on. If you don't see the beacon lights (the red upper and bellow-wing flash lights) on, then you will have problems on the airplane.
So, what I do in that case is to uninstall and install the airplane again. That solves the problem.

Well, this is only a desperate turn-around because I didnt find another solution and it's very bad to see that you do a very long flight and at the end you dont have approach/landing navigation aids ...

Hope that helps,

anything