Author Topic: Are the Pirep\'s be checked?  (Read 6584 times)

EHM-1220 Marlon

Are the Pirep\'s be checked?
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:20:44 pm »
To the management,

I hope i don't sound like a tedious person, but i would like to know if the Pireps are checked out.
The reason for this question is that i have the feeling that some of my fellow pilots are cheating their flight status.

Gr.
Marlon

EHM-1798 Conrad

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:21:18 am »
do you know who they are?

I really dont know the point in why they do that, all their going to do is use propilot (if they do) on the big planes and most likely crash them!

well im keeping my 777-200LR locked! lol using it now from LGAV to WMKK

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:29:23 am »
Hi Marlon,

We are always trying to find snitches on the PIREP's. But if you know something, then please send an email to your Hub Manager as soon as possible.

Regards,

EHM-1328 Willem

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 06:09:23 pm »
Shame on pilots who are cheating sandbagging

Do you know who they are?

Conrad thread

But will leave it over night, take a check at around 6:30 - 7:00 am then catch my coach to sixthform and be back around 1:30pm (half term). So it won’t be soo boring...

Many Pilots on EHM Flying this way, outside the Euroharmony community where also known as the sandbaggers and cheaters VA. That’s maybe also the reason why the active member counts decrease.

Regards Willem, EHM1328

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:39:52 pm »
I must admit, I have done a couple of overnight Long Huals in the past, (Taking off, climbing to cruise, going to bed, getting up for descent and landing) but I don't really see the point of them, so now I fly short/medium haul unless I have a good reason. (Like the Long Fly In Event from KATL to GCLP to LPPT) If I fly long hual now, I baby sit it all the way and do it online.

This said, I don't see it as cheating or sandbagging. Each to their own. As we all do this for fun, i think if you get enjoyment from this type of flight then there is nothing wrong with it.

I took a jump seat to Tenerife from Manchester (over 15 years ago now, my uncle worked for Britannia and pulled a few strings) on a 767 and to be honest, most of the cruise was spent reading newsapapers and doing crosswords etc with periodic checks of all systems and alterations to the FMC. (Maybe if I hadn't been there asking so many annoying questions they may have even taken a nap :) )
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1798 Conrad

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
yup, i fly online too now!

how am i cheeting  Willem de Graaf, its a route on Harmony, and i like to fly the heavy jets, i occasionaly take the beechcraft out for a spin, & i am in the middle of the Alps tour

Everyone does the occasional sleep thing, but to be honist i do have a life and i dont sit infront of a computer all day, even though i love to fly on FS!

I have A-levels and gap year plans to organise for september, so i can only do long flights!

And if i was really cheeting, why would i be making alot of suggestions to the management, and having chats with bruno?

so if i was really sand bagging, why would i bother in trying to contribute to Harmony?

And when someone asks for help, you dont need to mock the thread.

So conclusion

I have work to do
A-Levels for university to prepare for
Gap year to organise

Therefore, short flights would take up alot of my time, i.e. Takoff, 2 hours later need to descend and im in the middle of work, it doesnt work for me at the moment!
 If i do a long flight i can do work for say 7 hours solid at my desk next to my pc while its flying. Thats why i have to do long haul flights at the moment. As soon as i finish exams and gap year preperations i can do shorter flights etc!

So with my circumstances, i would be very greatful if you would take your comments back.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 11:15:45 pm »
Conrad,

I don't think Willem was personally attacking you, just making a point that other people in the world of Virtual Aviation see this as cheating.

To be honest, those people probably fly on VATSIM and work for very strict VA's called something like "Virtual Heart Attack". I think there is room for both types of VA, and it's the main reason I like EHM so much, it's more about the fun and a little more laid back, as apposed to being anally retentive and completely stressed out.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1798 Conrad

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:20:19 pm »
yes ok,

but i just want to make my point clear that i cant really do shorter flights because of work and exams preporation etc,

it will just distract me and such. And with A-levels around 3 - 4 months away i cant afford not to be working.

so i try and conbine my work with flying and the result = long flights, i just want him to understand that.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 11:51:30 am »
Hi,

I think you both have right. For instance, I also do long night flights because I want to fly but unfortunately I cannot be all the time on the computer because I work all day. So, my only way to do flights is to start it 22:00GMT and land it about 07:00GMT before going to work :).

But I also understand Willem's point, because he is defending the way of being more professional and try to be as much realistic as we can when we do a flight.

I think both of you have your point of reason, and we should understand eachothers and comprehend that on this hobby, there are many ways to have pleasure with it.

Regards,

Offline EHM-0361 Karsten

• Martian transfer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 08:40:42 pm »
Bruno, there is only one small problem with what you do, if you are sleeping during the flight. You are to check the aircraft status every 10 - 15 min, according to section 4.6 of the EHM operation manual.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 10:11:42 pm »
Oh dear. This is becoming silly. We all love to fly, why does it matter how we do it? Live and let live is what I say!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1798 Conrad

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »
correct, philnutt

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 08:00:25 am »
Origineel gepost door philnutt
Oh dear. This is becoming silly. We all love to fly, why does it matter how we do it? Live and let live is what I say!

Amen
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

Offline EHM-0361 Karsten

• Martian transfer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 09:15:39 am »
Fine so it's silly. Let's just agree on that this is something that we never will be able to agree on. Most of you don't think it makes a difference, I do. Simple as that, that all I'm going to say

EHM-1343 Jonathan

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 11:02:46 am »
What I really class as cheating is people "fudging the flight hours" IF they do the flight its OK, but if its am imaginary flight, this is cheating.

As the PIREPS come in, we can do basic checks, for example, do the times overlap, are the times accurate, but apart from this, not alot can be done

EHM-1670 Bill

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 01:41:32 pm »
Checking overlapping times could be dangerous if the time was set to FS time rather than system time or does flogger pick up system time. I like to take off just before dawn when possible.

Merlin - if you want strict then fly Euroharmony in conjunction with VPA - not only is every Pirep checked by one of the management but flight levels have to be correct  using RVSM, NAT RVSM and North South RVSM swapping from feet to metres and back again when going through some areas of Russian airspace. And the course has to be declared on the Pirep. I love it!! ;D

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 10:55:38 pm »
I'm with you on that Bill!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0361 Karsten

• Martian transfer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 10:20:05 am »
Well Bill, I'm not looking for strict or saying that we should have a whole bunch of rules for how we should fly. But beside saying that, I'm going to keep the rest to myself, and try to remeber it's only a game, so what does it matter.

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 11:03:38 am »
Let's say i m flying a long haul.at cruise altitude, i ask someone to help me respond to messages frm ATC for part of the flight time but later come back to take control.

does that count as cheating?what is your opinion?

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 12:30:17 pm »
Hi,

I think this conversation is going way too long ;D ..

Regarding to point 4.6 and answering some questions mentioned above:

Karsten you were right. So, on long haul flights we cannot do "overnight" flights. That applies to everyone. I am glad I did made only one or 2 flights and I will ask my Hub Manager to remove my flight hours.

About the PIREP signing in, you need to enter your real PC time (on startup, take off, landing, etc) and not the flight simulator time. So, this way you never overlap your flight time.

Rules are to be followed although I agree this is a hobby and we are here to have fun.
So, if you cannot fly for a period of time, tell it to your hub captain and he will put you on the correct status so you don't become inactive or removed (because you had communicated it previously), but you cannot increase your flight hours by doing long haul night flights (and sleeping).

1821, you cannot ask someone to take control of your airplane on that situation. The pilot who's controling the aircraft must check the instruments every 15 minutes.

I would say, in  conclusion, that the definition for cheating is when you are not following EHM rules (read the operations manual). If you follow them, then you are not cheating.
I also comprehend some of you who thinks that we are here to have fun (and that's the idea!), but even on hobbies like this one, rules must be followed. And the rules don't spoil the fun, but creates a common plataform and shared level to give everyone the same carreer chances.

Regards,

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 03:37:32 am »
Don't know what the point is in logging flase PIREPs; who are they trying to impress? I don't get the point of lying for this...

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 06:41:20 am »
Originally posted by 1821
i ask someone to help me respond to messages frm ATC for part of the flight time but later come back to take control

anyways,i dont fly online,gotta respond to FS ATC

and i meant when i go for a drink in the kitchen and go to the toilet.:D

maybe i should ask my sister to bring me my drink instead;D

anything