Author Topic: Microphone & audio settings.  (Read 3709 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Microphone & audio settings.
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:36:43 pm »
Hi folks,

I am always in trouble when online, because many cases I do not understand what the others are saying. It has 2 reason. Of course the 1st is the bad voice quality, the 2nd is I do not understand fastly speaking native speakers. It is even harder, when the voice quality is also bad ;D

The worst thing, I would like to speak loud and clear, but I have no any feedback from my configuration. If the ATC tells me "I read you 5/5" I am not sure he really understand me, although he seems to really understand me, and only me having difficulties ;D

For example I was listening to Gergely when he was ATC as Budapest CTR during a Hungarian online day. I understood almost everything he said because I could expect what he will saying. But generally I heard his voice too loud and noisy. The only one -native speaker- in the team I can understand almost perfectly is Phil Nutt ;) Of course situation can differ when the transmission is scattered because of low bandwidth.

So I decided, after the experiences of some flyins we spent together,  I give you some feedback on how I understand and remember you on TeamSpeak:

Gergely: as I said, a little loud and noisy
Bruno: a little quiet from the average, but good
Phil: superb
Murray: quite noisy, sometimes hard to understand
Razza: loud and noisy, very hard to understand
Sven: loud but easy to understand
Conrad: little noisy but easy to understand

At the end I would like to ask you what system configuration do you have for voice?

I use a very-low-end "HAMA CS-499" black-silver headset (around 10 euros in price) and microphone volume is set around 80% in Windows. In TeamSpeak I let the audio settings on default, and have no clue how could I improve it, if I have any chance at all.

Thank you for reading.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:05:39 pm »
Robert,

Welcome to the bane of my existence, sound settings...

The best suggestion I can give you is the technique I use myself in TS:-

• Begin by getting your sound output through your headset right from Windows; use a media player and get the "headphone" level right for comfort. *DO NOT* stick the volume up to full in Windows at this stage, it'll ruin voice output (overloud/overload, which just distorts all voice).
  • Start with default TS/IVAO settings.
  • Turn on local test mode using Speex 9.3 Kbit.
  • Talk to yourself in your normal speaking voice. Too loud? Turn the TS Output Volume down a notch or two and try again. Equally, too quiet (rare in TS), turn the TS Output Volume up a notch or two. Keep going like this until you are 100% happy with how you sound to yourself.
  • Get yourself online and spend a few minutes talking to a controller or friend, someone with whom you can both be honest (the controller's "5/5" just doesn't tell you that "you sound quiet loud, but not so much as I don't know what you're saying. Turn your mic volume down a touch and you'd be on the button"). Check how he/she sounds to you, and vice versa.
In closing, given you say almost everyone is loud to some extent, give your TS output volume a tickle toward "min" ;)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1365 Benjamin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »
Originally posted by SirRoberto
Razza: loud and noisy, very hard to understand

...one day I will figure out that daft accent :%

;)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:23:25 pm »
Thanks Murray,

I think I used a similar way to set my system, and I just hope that if I hear myself good, the others will so. ;)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 11:21:12 pm »
I must admit Robert, I have not really played with too many settings, I did set TS up and adjust the recording volume a little. I think the only reason you hear me clearly is my headset. I have recently upgraded to a set of Sennheiser PC160 Headphones. I can honestly say, they are fantastic. Very comfortable and very good sound quality. The only down side, They cost me £56 so I guess you would be looking at around 70-80 euros.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:01:42 pm »
Do you have any experience in TS on which is better: Direct Sound, or Wave recording ? It is setted to Wave now at me.

Another strange thing I discovered, if I turn off simulator sound by Q, the TS sound will be scattered immidiately.

EHM-1343 Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 11:01:41 am »
:$
Just because your Posh ben..

I lost the foam thing from the end of the Mic, and it is bad....you should have told me, I would turn it down!

SirRoberto : Average, just like everyone else...
Ben: Sounds Gay but he knows that
Tim: Like me i think but not as loud.
Bruno:Quiet
Gergely, great
Phill: Ditto, get u confused with murray.

Those are all of your voices i can remember

EHM-0641 Rico

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:52:22 pm »
I have this problem that when transmitting, somehow the noise my PC makes is also transmitted along .. how can I fix that..?

anything