Author Topic: EHM Air race!  (Read 8534 times)

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
EHM Air race!
« on: June 14, 2006, 03:41:01 pm »
We've had long, short and GA events, what about an air race.

We pick 3 airports close together, we use one as a start point and the finish point, we all depart and the its a flat out race to way point one, which would be the next airport, to make sure you get to the way point you have to do a touch and go on the runway (in real life you fly at only one way point, but have pylons plotted around the countryside, this would be hard to do and marshal), you then head to the next airfield and to a t/g there, then heading back, the race could have more than one lap so you carry on. We would use the same plane for example C172.

So what about that?

P.S. I'm not talking about such things as Red Bull Air race, more like www.airraceuk.com

EHM-1821 Javier

EHM Air race!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:45:04 pm »
Good Idea, Tim;D

but doing laps may be boring to a pilot, maybe a point to point race would be better, which also means that we visit more airports;D

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
EHM Air race!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:13:16 pm »
Or, we can do stunt races, like we find a bit of scenery, and do a "fly between the buildings, under the bridge, over the towers, and then round that building, and land?"

EHM-1539 Pierre

EHM Air race!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:22:55 pm »
Haha, you used automatic translation for your signature ? ;D

EHM-1343 Jonathan

EHM Air race!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:23:15 pm »
well...Tim's Idea is the easiest, and most realistic out of them all...and it wouldnt be at all boring, over and undertaking manuovers....;D

EHM-1612 Paolo

EHM Air race!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:31:32 pm »
I love more the stunt race idea, either if I know that it is very difficult to do on IVAO; maybe an air race with 3 very close airports and some laps can be very funny....
Paolo Mazzoleni EHM-1612
P.S. Mat, the italian translation on your signature is "Euroharmony la migliore compagnia aerea virtuale del mondo" ;)

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
EHM Air race!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:46:45 pm »
Wow, lots of replies really quick!

Stunt racing would be fun for example in Chicago, but it would be hard to keep to the rules and following a set route, were if you had two points and the start finish it would avoid confusion and stop the rule breaking, as a marshal would have to see you land on the runway or you would get disqualified!

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
EHM Air race!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 04:58:17 pm »
I'm thinking somewhere in the US, so no conflict with other traffic.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
EHM Air race!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:08:39 pm »
If you want to do stunt races you are better doing them on a smaller network than IVAO, perhaps something like www.ukatc.com which specialize in special ops etc. As there are less players online and the network set up is different there is less lag. (They tend do Air shows and formation acrobatics on this network)

Or maybe just wait for FSX and do the air race missions that will be built in on the new improved multiplayer networking that it will utilize!!!! :)
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
EHM Air race!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:10:06 pm »
It is easy to set up a private server using the free FSHost server. You could then have someone waiting at each waypoint watching which planes arrive. It also allows the weather to be set up to increase difficulty if you want.

EHM-1821 Javier

EHM Air race!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 08:16:22 pm »
try a 200kt wind for increased difficulty;D

Yes, i know, i am crazy;D

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
EHM Air race!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:23 pm »
One of us could be the conroller/examiner
the other pilots can just watch.
Then they have to beat that persons time

Rather then us getting into a rat race

EHM-1671 Ben

EHM Air race!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 08:42:08 pm »
I like the idea of an online air race. How would we regulate the takeoffs... surely the first person who takes off is going to have an advantage over everybody else by quite a considerabale margin. Maybe it could be a relay? One person takes off, flies around the other airport, returns to the original, lands and while they're landing the next pilot takes off on another runway. It could work, just my suggestion ;)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
EHM Air race!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 09:32:06 pm »
or, we could all be in a line, and once everyone takes off, they have to circle the airport, and once everyones circling the airport, we will somehow get into a formation of a line, and then we go when the examiner says go (or something)

EHM-1633 José

EHM Air race!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 09:56:32 pm »
That´s too much complicated.
I suggest the idea of something similar to the red bull race that took place in Barcelona. I think, it eould be nice to count the time of every pilot (because flying all together could be dificult and even dangerous!!:%

EHM-1671 Ben

EHM Air race!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 11:48:46 pm »
Another idea I just had (a little off topic, though)... and one I personally think is a very good one (in all modesty) is if EuroHarmony formed its own acrobatics team... we could give them a name, repaint the default microsoft Extra 300 and they could practice online. I think it would be great ;)

EHM-1798 Conrad

EHM Air race!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 01:21:00 am »
lol , well if you needed ATC coverage/Examiner to watch on Ivac for ease in determining the winner, im you man ;)

EHM-1821 Javier

EHM Air race!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 07:37:17 am »
hmm, an air display team...

EHM-1633 José

EHM Air race!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 09:23:27 am »
Yeah, we could form an aerobatics team, like The Red Arrows or La Patrulla Aguila. ;DBut members should practise a lot of time.:%

EHM-1671 Ben

EHM Air race!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 10:02:31 am »
Exactly like that, José!! I would be willing to volunteer... have some fun!

EHM-1633 José

EHM Air race!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 10:10:13 am »
Well, the idea is just lying on the table, let´s wait and see what the management guys think about this suggestion.;)

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
EHM Air race!
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 10:25:11 am »
Originally posted by José Rodríguez
That´s too much complicated.
I suggest the idea of something similar to the red bull race that took place in Barcelona. I think, it eould be nice to count the time of every pilot (because flying all together could be dificult and even dangerous!!:%

You idea is alot more complicated! Just think due to lag how inacurate the times would be. The 'rat race' would be the best option, and you could always use dual runways, or even KATL to fit everyone on.

EHM-1633 José

EHM Air race!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 10:41:25 am »
I understand your point of view, but how and who is going to set the start (I mean where is going to be the start line and the finish) and how pilots are going to be able to form a line in the air to start the race.
Departing from KATL or KLAX would be OK, but i don´t think everyone could take off at the same time, groups of pilots should be formed. It could be made like the FIFA world cup classification matches (groups of 4/5 pilots and the one who wins will be classified to fly against the other pilots classified from the other groups). Don´t know if I have explained myself well.:%

EHM-1343 Jonathan

EHM Air race!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 10:59:09 am »
Have a relay race, pilots form in pairs, say we have then we can make a course around the airfield....using VOR's and NDB's, one the pilot has compleed the course, correctly as judged by conrad, the next person goes...the winner can get an award....

Basically, when the first pilot finnishes the course, Race control gives the second pilot clearence to take off....

If I pilot departs before cleared, then it results in disqualification, and if the course is completed incorrectly, the waypoint must be rounded again, winner also determined by Race control....

The aerobatics team is way to hard...Tim and I have tried it numerous times to no avail....but formation flying as part of the VFA is good fun....:8

EHM-1798 Conrad

EHM Air race!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 11:05:04 am »
yeh i like that idear raza!

anything