Author Topic: Dump & Burn  (Read 3592 times)

EHM-1612 Paolo

Dump & Burn
« on: September 03, 2006, 04:11:04 am »
Yesterday I went to the Brisbane River fire, a fireworks show, and it was opened and closed by a RAF F-111 dump and burn. It is a fantastic thing to see and especially to hear (it is very very loud) and I really enjoyed the show. But I don't know how did the plane have a 10 meters fire tail....Does anybody knows what Dump & Burn technically means???
Paolo Mazzoleni EHM-1612

EHM-1671 Ben

Dump & Burn
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:45:47 am »
Hi there Paolo! A 'dump and burn' is when the aircraft dumps aviation fuel behind it, and then uses its afterburners to ignite it to create a trail of burning fuel. It must be a spectacular sight... wish I saw it when I was there!

EHM-1821 Javier

Dump & Burn
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:40:26 am »
That would be soo cool!!!! if i got to see it:% at least i saw a lot of planes at the RSAF Open House(in Singapore);D

EHM-1612 Paolo

Dump & Burn
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:53:03 pm »
Yes, that was really cool...I wish to see it again...and during the second dump and burn that I saw, the plane had wings perpendicular to the ground so I could see the cockpit...but the flame was incredible....I am going to post some photos

EHM-1612 Paolo

Dump & Burn
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 01:10:11 pm »
Here is a photo....hope it works...

EHM-1821 Javier

Dump & Burn
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:34:58 pm »
WOW!!! that is amazing!

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
Dump & Burn
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 06:37:39 pm »
Quite a dangerous feat..... Banned in the US, the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) is pretty much the only display that does this now. In the USA they call it "ZIPPO" after the petrol/kerosine cigarrette lighters. It is an awesome sight I have also beheld once although it is probably the most ecologically unfreindly way of flying ever!

Rumour has it that the designers of the F111 did not consider the consequences of placing the Fuel Dump outlet so close to the engine exhuast and that if the reheat was lit during a fuel dump that such a spectacular effect would occur. This said there is also a rumour that it was designed in to allow for the illumination of battle fields or naval operations. Officialy the USAF have never commented on whether the Zippo was intended or not.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

anything