Author Topic: Capitals of Europe tour query  (Read 4503 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Capitals of Europe tour query
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:34:09 pm »
I'm thinking about doing the CapEU tour again (was the last tour I did before the Big Crash) and to make it a real challenge I'm considering doing it online (IVAO) using only the 738.

Those of you that have completed it (Phil...), any reason you can think of that it shouldn't be possible to finish it in the 738 only?

(NOTE: I had wanted to do it in PP as well, but there's no scheduled flight in PP from Stockholm to Helsinki, so that's that idea done for...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:37:42 pm »
Hi Murray,

I am going to do the same ... for the world tour ;D ...

Well, at least I am going to die trying!!! ;D

Regards and good luck!

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:45:09 pm »
Well Murray no problem doing it in the 738 any possible problem might be BIRK to ENGM
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:49:47 pm »
Et tu Bruno! ;)

How about putting the EHM IFR tours into PP then? (Hehe...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:53:55 pm »
Christian,

Thanks for that reminder. Looking at the RF routings for the legs involving BIRK, it's the one with BIRK as the dest. (EIDW->BIRK) that's the longest at 1,118.5nm, and that's within the operating range of the B-738NG (as long as I'm sensible with the climb and the weather is with me).
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:01:59 pm »
That would be great to be able to fly the tours in PP aswell as the missions but it might be to much work having to add all those plane for the Missions;D
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 03:34:09 pm »
Originally posted by Murray Crane
Et tu Bruno! ;)

How about putting the EHM IFR tours into PP then? (Hehe...)

Hi Murray,

Basically it's complex to put the EHM tours on PP. As you know a tour is a circular group flights that normally don't have additional connections to other destinations.

What I mean is that when you start a tour with a PP airplane, that airplane is somehow locked to that tour because there are not flights to take him out.

So it's kind'a unfair to have those airplanes locked. We just have a whole of airplanes locked now, and if we start to place them to do the tours then it would become much more.

So, tours are offline :) .. For that reason.

Regards,

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:52:42 pm »
Hi Murray,

I flew most of it in the PMDG 738 without any probs. I did do a few legs with different A/C as I wanted to get my Cobalt Pilot. I do remember a couple of the Runways being a little short for take off and had to get my load down to the bare minumum. (Sorry can't remember which ones though)

While we are on the subject. Bruno, I completed the Capitals tour and got the award, but I have not had my Cobalt European award. Any idea why?

Cheers,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 04:14:07 pm »
@Bruno: Yup, I expected that answer (and fully understand it.)

@Phil: Nay probs mate, I'll be paring the fuel load to the quick to make it easy, and I know all about Flaps 15 TOs.

@Everyone: For those that are a little bit mathy like me, here are some stats based on the routes provided by RouteFinder for all legs of the CapEU.

Shortest Leg Distance: EHM-A102 EFHK->EETN @ 60.6nm  
Longest Leg Distance: EHM-A138 EIDW->BIRK @ 1,118.5nm
Average Leg Distance: 316.1nm
Median Leg Distance: 254.6nm
Least Complex Route: EHM-A102, EHM-A104, EHM-A123 and EHM-A127 all have single fix routes.
Most Complex Route: EHM-A135 LPPT->LFPG with 8 airway changes between leaving SID and joining STAR
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0471 Peter

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:32:14 pm »
Well, Murray I finished Capitals just a few weeks ago and all the legs are done ONLINE. There was absolutely no problems, but I should advise you that you use all the time the different aircrafts, since for me flying too many flights ( legs ) in one single aircraft becomes a little borrowing sport. There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with your idea.

I just finished also another Tour- the Danube. Also completely ONLINE ( IVAO ). There were two main goals: strictly following the stream of the river, and strictly flying Online and VFR. All fine, but what a mess with VFR and most of ATC controllers. There are rare birds between controllers, who have no problems with VFR ATC.

Wish you a nice journey.

Peter

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 08:48:34 pm »
I agree with Peter, flying one aircraft continuously would drive me insane! However, not everyone is like that... ;)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:01:33 am »
Well, I can understand what you say Peter/Ben. You may have forgotten or just not know that I have most of the major hardware for a B738NG though, and as such I love flying it ;)

Having said that though, I think I'll fly the sub-100nm legs in a TP. There's bound to be one or two I've not used yet.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON