Author Topic: Overspeed?  (Read 5533 times)

EHM-1921 Ivan

Overspeed?
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:13:38 pm »
Since I have started flying with real weather, several times the flight logger gave me penalty for overspeeding. For example I'm flying with 250kts IAS, and due to winds (I guess) the IAS jumps to 281kts.It lasts a second or two, but still I get the penalty...
So is there any chance to fix this problem in the future?;)

EHM-1617 Iain

Overspeed?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:48 pm »
This is to do with the way FS handles winds. There are several layers, with a jump (not smoothed) between them.

Several possible solutions:

1. (Unrealistic) Fly at less than 250 kts, to create more of a buffer.
2. (Expensive) Pay for FSUIPC, which has a wind smoothing option. Unfortunately, if the wind change is sufficient, then pulling the nose up to maintain airspeed could mean that you exceed 4500 fpm and get a penalty that way. You can fix this by adjusting the maximum wind change rate in FSUIPC.
3. (Clunky) Use the wind smoothing function of IvAp. Even if you fly offline, run the client and the wind smoothing still works (at least I seem to remember it does). In the IvAp Configuration, turn on wind smoothing. Not as advanced as the FSUIPC implementation but it does the job. This approach also suffers from the Rate Of Climb problems above.

It seems there is not a free perfect way to overcame the jumps between wind layers. If you have the money, pay for FSUIPC and a lot of problems go away. If you don't, I recommend using IvAp (I do) and it does help quite a lot, even though it is not advanced like the FSUIPC version.

EHM-1921 Ivan

Overspeed?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:28:08 am »
Welll thanks... I guess I'll use  the IvAp... Since there is no other reasonable option.

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Overspeed?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:07:09 am »
In order to overcome this overspeed problem, you should fly no closer than about 20 knots to the overspeed bar, the reason being is that some of the auto throttles cannot control your speed quickly enough to compensate for the wind change. Another reason to fly at 20 knots below the overspeed bar is that, if there is a strong wind and the aircraft turns into the wind your airspeed will increase, even with FSUIPC, the reason being is that the increase in airspeed is due to the aircraft turning into wind and not a change in wind direction. This should keep you clear of any penalties.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
Overspeed?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:21:54 pm »
and trust me Bruce should know...... lol   he is after all the best euroharmony pro pilot user of all time! :>
Brian McGloughlin /  EHM-1980

EHM-1617 Iain

Overspeed?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:34:19 pm »
EHM1921, I (perhaps wrongly) assumed you were talking about the >280KIAS below 10000 penalty, rather than the straight-out overspeed penalty?

EHM-1921 Ivan

Overspeed?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:38:13 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1617
EHM1921, I (perhaps wrongly) assumed you were talking about the >280KIAS below 10000 penalty, rather than the straight-out overspeed penalty?

Of course. But in that flight I had a normal overspeed penalty too. I was normally flying with 20 kts below the limit, but ever since i'm flying with 30-40kts and almost stopped using auto throttle..

anything