Author Topic: Microsoft are not my favourites at this moment! (slight edit)  (Read 3558 times)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Microsoft are not my favourites at this moment! (slight edit)
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:03:18 pm »
I am so mad with PMDG! Here is why:

I have got PMDG's 737NG, and 737-800/900, costing me together, about £60. Now that I have FSX, FSX and FS9 just cannot possible run together, so I had to get rid of FS9 (temporarily, until I can think of something better). I was wondering whether my PMDG add-ons will work on FSX. Turns out, that most will, but the two 737's, and the 747 queen of the skies WON'T work in FSX. I would expect like many other companies are doing, is to make a patch, that will change them so that they are compatible, but OH, NO! They decide instead of re-doing the games, they're going to make the 737/747 again as a game that WILL be compatible for FSX. So, how much is that going to cost us? £40?

The last thing that really bugs me, is that they've said that if you've bought any previous games on their website, you'll get a refund, so you can buy these two games! What about people who bought these games in a shop? Nothing will be done to help me and others who have done this!

If you ask me, this is daylight robbery. They're just trying to get my money! I think this is incredibly mean!

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:28:08 pm »
Matt,

This has been an argument that many people have made and I would urge you to consider all sides of the argument. If you look at PMDG's information regarding the upgrade to FSX they are really correct in what they say.

They have never claimed that the 737 or 747 series would be FSX compatible out of the box. Both of these products came to market long before FSX was announced. They have been stating for 9 months that the 737NG would not be supported for FSX. If you bought these products after FSX was announced then it is in no way their fault that you find yourself in this situation as they immediatley outlined their plans after the anouncement at the CES in January. If you bought these products before the announcement of FSX then you have got what you paid for haven't you?

The original 737NG package is over two years old and the man hours required to upgrade it to FSX would mean their whole dev team working an estimated 5 months, why should they upgrade the product for low cost or free? Let's face Microsoft did not offer a low cost upgrade to you from FS9 to FSX did they? (& FS9 massively out sold PMDG addons)

The 747 was designed for FS9 and was released well before FSX was announced, therefore they could in no way assure us of compatibility. They are however spending the time (estimated at 5 months again) upgrading the 747 and it will be available as a low cost upgrade for FSX.

I feel that you should vent your anger towards Microsoft for not making sure that the most expensive and popular addons (LDS 767, PMDG 73NG & 744, PSS 777) were not backwards compatible with the new product. Please remember, PMDG is a small team of developers who work in their spare time to make these addons, MS are the largest software company in the world with almost unlimited resources. Surely the responsibility for compatibility lies with MS as FSX was designed and released after your PMDG products came to market?

I personally agree with PMDG and think that if we are to have fantastic products in the future, companies like PMDG and LDS should be supported by Microsoft and not the other way round.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:36:08 pm »
I guess you're right. I'm a bit calmer now, and I think I didn't get all sides of the argument either. Thanks for informing me of those things:>

Although, I do still wish that PMDG would try to at least give everybody a bit of an advantage though, if you have proof that you bought the product, because, I don't see why somebody who buys on the internet would have a better deal then me. I would think it's either everybody gets a deal, or no deal.

MS should have thought through FSX. I was quite tempted to uninstall it earlier, because of all these paywares that are wasted because of MS.

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:48:14 pm »
Or, at least, if the boxed version of payware aircraft comes with a purchase code, one could submit it to the PMDG website for proof and get a free upgrade to FSX... I know Captain Sim is giving free FSX upgrades on their 757 and that's a pretty good idea for those of us who have to contend with some rediculuos exchange rate!

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:54:19 pm »
Although I agree with what Phil said, I think the most fair is the example of Captainsim. At least they are trying to keep their customers, while PMDG may loose some angry guys like Matt was before ;)

Good luck for any patch that may come out from the developers.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1651 Christian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:57:55 pm »
Well I think the best situation atm is to await further development before buying FSX
EHM-1651 CHRISTIAN BAKKE "A pilots ego equals the wingspan" Stated by a Captain of Widerøe

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 09:59:55 pm »
Well to be honest guys, I think you are missing my point somewhat.....

If a product was designed for FS9 then it will be supported for FS9. If a Developer then has to invest a considerable amount of time, effort and cost in to making it FSX compatible then they should not have to burden that cost themselves, they sold you a product to do a job, it does that, and better than most I should say.

If you were complaining about Captain Sim or PSS aircraft then I would be tempted to side with you as their products are not even in the same league as PMDG and Level D. The only reason Captain Sim & PSS are promising FSX compatibility for free is because they know that Level D are just around the corner with a 757 product that will wipe the floor with both of them and the only way they are going to shift any of their products is to make promises like this.... After reading about the PSS 757, I really think it should be made FS9 compatible before they try tackling FSX! :P

Don't think I am getting at you guys, I am just expressing my opinion which differs to yours, we are entitled to have one after all, I just happen to hate PSS & Microsoft at the moment! LOL

EDIT*** I think PMDG will not lose customers if they continue to turn out fantastic products, people will pay for quality! They only need to start worrying when they start making second rate products that are full of bugs! (Ahem, am I digging at PSS & Microsoft again! :P )
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 10:14:20 pm »
Hehe, I really do not want to turn this thread into some economical argueing. I thought about -after my technical knowledge of the whole aircraft business- that I am sure an FS9 product can be turn into FSX product under only a fraction of the original time...say with 2-5%.

I think that could be a gesture to release a patch/update for the new game version for free...although I understand if they want to squeeze every possible money from the users. You know, money talks...

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 10:16:03 pm »
hehehe yeah, just like it would be a nice gesture if Microsoft would give us a Sim that worked! LOL
Phil Nutt EHM 1703