Author Topic: SIDS - STARS and charts help please  (Read 6109 times)

jacobo360

SIDS - STARS and charts help please
« on: February 09, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »
Hey
Ive been having problems when flying at vatsim because i cant make a flight plan correctly, probably because i still dont know how sids and stars work, i know where to get the charts and all, but i dont know which one to use, why and how. When i fly at vatsim i usually just put "prefferred route" on the flight plan and the controller usually gives me one, but its not nearly as fun or real if i dont know what im doing. Im tired of just taking off and landing.. so if you can help id really appreciate it
Thanks
Jacob

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:19:17 pm »
Jacob,

Routes, SIDs and STARs are a complex topic. Normally SIDs and STARs are given by controllers as it depends on the runway in use and weather conditions at the airport. You can plan this information by checking before departure but be prepared to change it should the weather change or ATC get busy.

Routes are a little easier, most people who fly online use a free route planner called RouteFinder. ( http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ ) If you enter departure and destination ICAO codes in to that along with your planned flight level, it will throw out a fairly accurate route.

Hope that helps,
Phil
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1947 Miko

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:56:24 pm »
Hello Jacob,

Active Runway (dependent on the winds) + first waypoint of your route = SID - every runway has got a SID Chart (normally).

As Philip wrote RouteFinder is a good tool, or http://www.vatroute.net/ since you fly on VATSIM.

If you like you can give me an example where you want to go (departure and destination) and I give you an example how you find the SIDs, STARs and the route.

Feel free to post your sample here ;)

jacobo360

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:02:54 pm »
Hey thanks for you help
lets say im flying from heathrow EGLL to Manchester EGCC
thanks again
Jacob

EHM-1947 Miko

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:19:49 am »
OK Jacob,

1. Route

you goto http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ and insert EGLL and EGCC into the form.

You will receive following route:

Computed route from HEATHROW (EGLL, EG) to MANCHESTER (EGCC, EG): 6 fixes, 134.6 nautical miles

Cruise altitude between FL330 and FL330
EGLL (0.0nm) -SID-> BUZAD (28.1nm) -UT420-> WELIN (49.5nm) -UN57->
TIMPO (71.4nm) -UN57-> TNT (106.4nm) -STAR-> EGCC (134.6nm)

Details:

ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Coords                       Name/Remarks
EGLL             0      0   N51°28'39.00" W000°27'41.00" HEATHROW
BUZAD          358     28   N51°56'32.00" W000°33'08.00" BUZAD
WELIN          334     21   N52°14'50.00" W000°51'08.00" WELIN
TIMPO          334     22   N52°33'32.00" W001°09'50.00" TIMPO
TNT     115.7  334     35   N53°03'14.00" W001°40'12.00" TRENT
EGCC           315     28   N53°21'13.48" W002°16'29.82" MANCHESTER

Tracks are magnetic, distances are in nautical miles.

EGLL SID BUZAD UT420 WELIN UN57 TNT STAR EGCC (Your route for your flightplan and your FMC - if your aurcraft has got one)

2. Estimated departure runway.

You will start from 27R or from 09L cause you depart to the north.

You need the ATIS of an active ATC or if nobody is there the wind direction to know weather you start from the 27 or the 09.

You start "ServInfo" (freeware you can download from the VATSIM site)

On the Map you can see all ATC Stations active. If EGLL GND, TWR or APP is Active you can request the ATIS with the wind/weather information or even the active t/o runway by clicking on the symbol.

If there is no ATC station active you can chlick on the "Cloud Icon" Button to receive the METAR weather at EGLL.

At this moment the winds are 120/09 knots - you have to start upwind so you will depart from 09L.

3. SID

If you have all SID Charts (where to download them for free you can see following the links on your http://www.vatsim.net/ site) you will find one SID Chart that shows a SID to BUZARD Waypoint in the north of EGLL - the SID rout is called BUZARD2K since you depart from 09L.

Now you can program your FMC. Consider possible changes if ATC gives you a different departure!

Arrival at Mancherster EGCC:

Again you look for the weather info as described above. If there is no TWR etc. active: This morning the wind comes from 080 with 16 knots so we expect landing on runway 06 R or 06 L (If I have the choice I would prefer the Left cause it is less taxiing).

STAR: Look at the Charts and look for a STAR that starts at the last waypoint of your route TNT Trent: You will find the DAYNE2A STAR - Dayne will be your IAF Initial Approach Fix (the point where ATC will let you hold if the approach is not yet available due to traffic).

From Dayne you will make your final approach according to the procedures on the charts.

Sure there are a lot of mor details (speed / level restriction etc.) but this is all you need for a proper flight from EGLL to EGCC.

Good landing!

jacobo360

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »
Thanks Miko you really helped, ill let you know how it went

EHM-1947 Miko

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:25:20 pm »
Was a pleasure, Jacob, good landing:>

Offline EHM-2089 Vincent

• FL100
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:02:45 am »
Miko - I like the line that you have - "A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again." --- :P

It does make a lot of sense, its easy to walk away from the plane, but its great to fly the plane again, and being confident to play it after a hard landing is guts!!!

And back to the topic, about SID and STARS and charts, thanks for the lovely writeup using routefinder too. This kind of info is really helpful especially since many of us are flight enthusiasts and not really those who have sat thru some kind of training sessions, its mostly only web pages like me. (atleast I hpe so)

Cheers,
Vincent,
Bangalore