Author Topic: LSZH - who are we ?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
LSZH - who are we ?
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:36:28 pm »
Hello fellow Zurich pilots !

As your new Hub Captain I would like to get to know you all better and find out what type of flying interests each of you so as to better tailor the Hub to your needs.

We have a great EuroHarmony community already on the Forums but I'd like to make the LSZH Hub pages your first stop for Zurich information and advice and for us all to share our flying experiences :P

So I'll start this thread with a few details about myself and then invite you all to paint a picture of yourself, your favourite planes or type of flight, what you like about being part of the Hub and the Airline and anything you think would make it an even better experience. I can't promise we'll be able to do everything you'd like but I'll consider all requests and put forward suggestions for consideration by the MT.

(If any of you would prefer to communicate this information privately rather than on the Forum please feel free to send an e-mail instead to dominic@fly-euroharmony.com  ;))

So, who am I ?

The first bit's easy - I'm Dominic Mahon (but you knew that already ;D) , I'm 38 years old and from Aylesbury in the south of England. I have been in EHM for 2.5 years and I have been an active flight simulator pilot for 4 years. I flew my first sim on the ZX Spectrum back in the early 1980's though!!

I was a member of the RAF cadets while at school (this is a scheme in the UK for teenagers to experience some of the things the armed forces do so they can decide if they'd like to join up). This allowed me to learn all about the theory of flying as well as have flights in RAF Chipmunk aeroplanes and a trip in a Sea King helicopter, which was fantastic :P Since then I've had the occasional flight in a light aircraft including a lesson in a Cessna 152 as shown below:

I have read a lot about planes and flying and I have built up quite a library of useful books and magazines on the subject, so if any of you have a question or problem to do with flight I'll do my very best to find out the answer !

I enjoy many different types of flights on FS2004, sometimes VFR flights in a Baron and at other times short to medium haul airliner flights with the Fokker 70, ATR-72 and Airbuses.

I'm really pleased to be LSZH Hub Captain because I love mountain flying as it always provides a challenge and the weather can change so quickly to keep you on your toes ;) I'm sorry to say I've not been to Zurich yet in real life so I'd be really interested to hear from any of you who can tell us all a bit about the airport, the city and the country.

Anyway, that's enough about me ;D Let's hear about you and what kind of Flightsim you enjoy... Don't be shy ! :P
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-1612 Paolo

LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:41:04 pm »
Hi Dom! Welcome to Zurich! My name is Paolo Mazzoleni, I'm 17, I live in Milan (north of Italy), I've been flying for EHM for more than 1 year and I have 400+ hours logged. I had my first FS experience just 2 years ago, and now I definetely love it. I should study more during the time I spend home, but I always look foward to fly. I've never had flying experiences at all, just did something like 50 flights as passenger ;D all around the world. I was quite scared about flying something like 2 years ago, but now I know what pilots are doing and I feel very very safe on a plane. I spent a lot of time thinking about my future and if I would like to join the army or maybe becoming a pilot, but now I decided, I will go to the university studying economics or something like that...;)
I'll always fly on FS though, I just love flying very long haul flights, with the 777; my favourite class is the 4 or 5 with my 737PMDG: I prefer Boeings than Airbuses ;)
I would like to see Zurich as a more active hub, especially with very short fly-in flights on our loved mountains, there's lot to see in the Alps!  
That's all I can tell you right now,  we are going to have so much time to talk :8
Now I have to care about my new puppy! :]
Ciao!

Offline EHM-0471 Peter

• Cruise Altitude
LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:41:54 pm »
Welcome aboard Dominic and my sincere congratulations in the name of all active members from LGAV Hub.  If you'll need any help I am capable to offer you - just mention.

Peter LGAV HM

EHM-1752 Luciano

LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:34:17 am »
Hi Dominic,

Congrats for your nomination!

I am a retired aged virtual pilot (class 1942, started flying with the Commodore 64), IVAO and VATSIM member, and C1 controller on IVAO (mainly in Rome, Italy, where I live).

I never fly on Sundays since I am not at home. I like fly-ins and events such as the Lisbon-Dakar and the F1 Gran Prix.

One of my preferred aircraft is the Learjet 45, but unfortunately it is not in the EHM fleet (wonder if ever could be added...).

I am often using FSPassengers with ProPilot, which makes things more complicated but also more challenging.

I love VFR, too. Used to follow my flights on Google Earth (with MyFSGoogleEarth) and GoogleMaps. Flying Cessna 182 and Agusta chopper.

Present Tours I am flying:

EHM Iberian Tour
EHM F1 Gran Prix
IVAO Italian IFR
IVAO Italian VFR
IVAO Switzerland IFR
IVAO Switzerland VFR
IVAO France IFR
IVAO Ireland VFR
IVAO China VFR
IVAO India VFR
IVAO World SO

I forgot about SO. I love the F14 aircraft, and its challenging landings on the carriers!

Any chances to have an SO dept in EHM?

Anyway I think Euroharmony is one of the best VA among those I visited, nice Community and very attractive website.

Looking forward to meeting you in some fly-ins or in the IVAO/VATSIM skys,
Have safe flights,
Bye
Luciano

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 02:56:48 am »
Thanks to all of you who have got in contact so far, both on the Forum and by e-mail, it's great to hear from you and get to know what you enjoy about Flightsim and EHM :P

I'm making a list of all your requests and interests so that I can try and organise some Hub activities to appeal to as many of us as possible. So keep those replies coming in - I want to know what makes the rest of you tick too !! ;D
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2029 Sotiris

LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 06:26:11 am »
Hello fellow LSZH friends,

I'm Sotiris, I'm 32 and I joined EHM last December.
I live some 30 minutes by train from our airport and due to work, I fly out of Zurich almost every week.
I started flight simming with the original FS sometime in the late eighties but then had the good fortune to be able to fly in reality on a small Cessna 172 for the first few years of the 90's when I achieved my PPL.
By the way, some of the more advanced tasks of simming when flying our big birds are definitely harder than flying a Cessna!
I'm really very pleased to see our hub 'come back to life' as it had been a little quiet recently.
My favourite EHM birds are the 320, 738, falcon and the Sukhoi which I consider the best class 1 bird.

Looking forward to seeing you during an event and to get to know you better.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:04:50 am »
Anybody else want to tell us about themselves? :P

One of the great things about our community is that we all learn from each other's experience so I'd be really pleased to hear from other pilots, especially those who don't venture into the Forum often ;)

And if any of you feel unhappy about expressing yourself here, perhaps because of your ability in English or for any other reason, please do contact me on e-mail at dominic@fly-euroharmony.com to let me know - I'll look into it and see if we can make things better - we don't want anyone to feel they can't join in the life of the Forums :P
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
LSZH - who are we ?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:18:08 pm »
Hi Dominic and all other EHM pilots !

Nice that you introduce yourself and so we know a little about our new HUB manager.
In two weeks I´ll be 54 and spend (in the mind of my family) too much time with Flightsimulation.  It was about 3 years ago, as I bought an FS98. It should be only something to pastime in the wintermonths, but  curiosity became fun and fun became inflamed with passion. I spent a lot of time and money for my FS9 and I´m happy to found an VA like EHM.
In the times, when I was traveling with mybackpacks we could visit the cockpit on longhaul flights over the oceans. I was only wondering about the many instruments.  Now, if I know a little of them it´s forbidden - damned 09/11 !   I´m married with a brasilian stewardess (VARIG) and she suffered a lot as she could not continue her work in Europe (nationality, permission of work, ...) and now with children, .......   But we are still in contact with some ex-colleagues - flight attendents and pilots. Some of them are also online-flying and it´s always nice when we meet them virtuel.
That´s what I´m  missing at EHM. Since my first online flight I never flew offline, exept testing a new aircraft or an addon. I know, my fried Jürgen needed also some weeks till he convinced me and at my first online-flight I was nervous like at my first rendevouz with my first girlfriend. I trembled, stuttered and sweated  ......   but with the help of the good IVAO controllers it became an event . I needed also time to convince my fried Robert (an real-pilot) to try it. First he did not want, because he wantet to fly "as real as it´s get" and he got used to have a lot of (my)traffic around him when approaching LSZH, EDDF, EGLL, ........ And till his first online-flight and joining EHM he never flow one minute offline, because to talk with the controllers is even much more real than missing a few aircrafts around him and at all, this aircrafts are not computer animated, thats are pilots as you and I. It´s always very nice to meet some EHM-pilot at an airport or in the air, having some small-talk or sending messages, ....  but this happens very seldom.   We could know each other better and we should be more present repectivly to other VAs. Belive me, it is much more fun then sitting alone and isolatet in front of your PC. And all the controllers I met are very kind and helpful to the pilots.
I have a lot of airplanes in my hangar (MD83, Flight1 ATR72-500, B727-200, Wilco-B737-300, -600, -700, -800, -900 PMDG, B747, LevelD 767, PSS B777, A330, A340, Wilco A19, 320,321,  Captain Sim B707, Piper Cheyenne, Beechking B200,.... ) I looked at my travel-diaries and want to fly all my journeys I mad by sailboat, motorbike, motorhome, train, car, ....  with VFR, and my flights of course IFR. This is an ambitious program and some of the flights are also in the schedule of EHM.  I would be pleased if we could do some legs together.
I also would be glad, if some pilots with austrian-pro and swiss-pro, Alps from France VFR could fly a VFR-tour together. Maybe someone could lead us as a guide, telling somthing interesting about the country, history, costumes,  culinary,  tips for holydays,  .......
I´d like to fly in a "living company" where always  some pilots can be found online in all over the FIRs and we can meet (virtuel)  frequently in the air.

With a lot of greetings from the sunny Salzburg

Franz