Author Topic: Zurich In Focus - March 2007  (Read 4593 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Zurich In Focus - March 2007
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:44:19 pm »

Welcome to "Zurich In Focus" where I'll be highlighting interesting or unusual scenery, aircraft and routes linked to Switzerland. I'm aiming to update this every week or so with links, pics and ideas to ensure you can always find something new to do at our Hub :P

As a basic introduction (as I've only just started !) this week my Focus will be on the essential scenery for LSZH pilots.

As many of you will already know or have seen in Conrad's previous post on this subject, there are currently a couple of freeware sceneries for LSZH itself - the Mohler scenery and the Freez one (which is a work in progress). I use the Mohler one which is quite detailed but frame rate friendly:-

These are both listed on the following link (on the Switzerland page) which I would recommend you all check out for scenery from all round the world:

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

The Switzerland page includes lots of detailed sceneries for all round the country and some of these will feature in future editions of Zurich In Focus.

One of the most important features of your flightsim scenery in a mountainous region such as Zurich is the terrain. If you haven't got add-on mesh for Switzerland you'll really miss out on the dramatic surroundings as the default mesh is not detailed enough. Addon mesh is also available from the scenery link given above and will make a massive difference to your flying experience:-

Once you have installed extra scenery you might need charts to ensure you don't have any 'close encounters' with your new mountains in bad weather ;D These are available at:

http://www.ivao.ch/English/index.htm under 'Download/charts'

or http://www.vacc-sag.org/?PAGE=airport_overview

Well that's enough to start with ;)

I hope you find this information useful - please let me know of any sceneries etc you are aware of that you think other pilots might enjoy and I'll include good links in future editions of Zurich In Focus.

Happy flying !
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2103 Brandon

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:07:09 am »
Where and how to i install the AFCAD 'LSZH Freeware.txt?' I'm thinking this may be the reason my AI is scattered, out of place, and floating in the air on the Mohler scenery.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:42:39 am »
Brandon,

Are you using FS2002, FS2004 or FSX? The file you mention (with the file type .txt at the end of the name) is only suitable for FS2002.

For FS2004 you need a file called "AF2_LSZH.bgl" - this is the format FS2004 uses for airport facilities files. This will normally be in the 'scenery' folder within the unzipped scenery package and if it is, the taxiways and parking spots should work fine.

It's a long time since I installed this scenery myself and I'm at work now so can't check but have you followed the instructions in the Readme file exactly? The AI behaviour you are indicating often points to a scenery elevation conflict which is normally covered in the Readme...

The following link gives a general overview of how to install addon scenery and AFCADs:-

http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/addons.htm

If you are using FS2002 there is a different process - I'll await your reply on this ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2103 Brandon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:34:09 pm »
i think I've figured it out. I'm on FS2004. When i select the airport, if i type out 'Zurich' rather than typing the first few characters and selecting it, the AFCAD works. if not, it is back to the normal FS2004 gates and parking and the airplanes float. But as long as I type out the full name, i can select from all the gates and everything is in the right place. Kind of strange, but at least it works. I'm on FS2004.