Author Topic: New ProPilot algorithm explained.  (Read 6013 times)

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
New ProPilot algorithm explained.
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »
Dear pilots,

We received some emails from pilots asking us to explain the new algorithm.

First of all let me tell you that we are completely available to give you your FAC report your situation if you like. You just have to use the following URL:

http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/site/propilot/scripts/new_fac_conversion.php?pilotid=0948, where you replace the "0948" by your pilot id.

We think that the report actually explains you all that is there to explain. It gives you the formula, and all of your data to calculate the FAC.

We must also tell you that we are still analysing the FAC to see if it fits our (community) needs. So, if you have any suggestions, please send me an email.

The FAC formula is:

Total flights x 0.5 + Total Minutes x 0.3 - Total Extra Penalties x 0.7 - Total Flight Penalties + Total Online Flights x 0.9

For instance, my report:
Starting Pilot 0948 FAC migration.
Information:Total ProPilot Flights: 91
Information:Total ProPilot Flight minutes: 25503 equals to 425 hours and 3 minutes.
Information:Total Extra Penalties: 8000.00
Information:Total Flight Penalties: 5600.00
Information:Total Online Flights: 69
Information:Calculation: Total flights x 0.5 + Total Minutes x 0.3 - Total Extra Penalties x 0.7 - Total Flight Penalties + Total Online Flights x 0.9
Information:You new FAC is: -3441.5

I hope it helps ;)

Regards and safe flights.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:13:29 am »
Bruno, didn't want to mangle your post for this, but can you confirm that the following is logically correct for the new algorithm?

The FAC formula is:
(Total flights x 0.5)
PLUS (Total Minutes x 0.3)
MINUS (Total Extra Penalties x 0.7)
MINUS (Total Flight Penalties)
PLUS (Total Online Flights x 0.9)[/i]

Adding it all up manually, for me this results in:

Total Flights: 25
Total Minutes: 1886
Total Extra Penalties: 5000
Total Flight Penalties: 3025
Total Online Flights: 24

PLUS 565.8
MINUS 3,500
MINUS 3,025
PLUS 21.6

EQUALS -5,925.1

Which is precisely what the link above tells me ;D

Now, logically it *is* possible to recover from this situation, by the following means:

1. Fly lots of long-haul flights,
2. Fly them online,
3. Fly them without penalties.

(That is, unless and until a points bonus scheme is introduced...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1612 Paolo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:54 pm »
I don't understand what "Total flight penalties" means... Is that the sum of all penalties I got or is that the old FAC (an average)??:%

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 02:06:17 pm »
I do not understand why there is so much concern over the FAC, surely the FAC is purely a secondary thing, I thought that all the EHM pilots enjoyed flying with Euroharmony because of the community and the wide variation of aircraft available. Reading some of the posts, some people are becoming paraniod about their FAC and will endeavor to obtain a high FAC by only flying the B744 on long haul flights , ( 12 of these aircraft have been lost since the beginning of March) This is just chasing numbers and loosing sight of the fun of flightsim which  is surely being able to fly a variety of aircraft. This post is not intended as a flame, just my opinion.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1612 Paolo
I don't understand what "Total flight penalties" means... :%

Paulo,

There are two sorts of penalties within ProPilot recorded by the FLogger: flight penalties and extra penalties. The majority of penalty points would appear to go into flight penalties, while crashes are the extra penalties (correct me if I'm wrong Bruno, I'm basing this on my own FAC/PP career)

@Bruce: Exactly my feelings too. My "new" FAC is currently a shade under -6000, but I'm not letting it get me down. I'll continue to fly the B738, and take the occasional penalty for climbing too fast; if I get my FAC back to a positive value that's nice, if I don't that's nice too.

We (Bruno in particular, but the entire MT) have tried to make it clear that the new FAC algorithm is very much "in testing" to see what effect (if any) it has on people flying PP flights, and we're continuing to discuss it "behind the scenes". We all need to give is time to shake down before we consider making any further changes to it.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0471 Peter

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:08:34 pm »
Bruno, just a question. I have tried to use your URL link to see my FAC, but I can't replace your ID with mine. It seems you have forgotten something - posssibility to replace and activate?

Peter LGAV HM

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:22:39 pm »
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:43:12 pm »
Hi,

Bruce sent me an email with a strange situation. He made 2 flights with no penalties and his FAC decreased :o .

So, I saw the code again and detected a very small mistake on the total flight hours. I wasn't considering only the flight hours made on propilot.

So, I re-run the script. It made small adjustements to your FAC.

Let's hope it's completely finished now. Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:17:38 am »
I agree 100% with Bruce in his opinion. However, we all strive for improving our FAC after each flight and particularly think that this is one of the best incentives for pilots because one wants to know how we performed. Striving for a better FAC make us to better plan our flight and more careful in the tasks we have to perform during the flight.

Bruno, in your mail above I don't quite understand when you state that "I wasn't considering only the flights made on propilot".
I would appreciate very much to have the new script to understand how my FAC went from 3,472 down to 172 or something being that my total hours are 325 while PP hours are 303.
Thanks in advance,
Hector

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:42:18 am »
Starting Pilot 1749 FAC migration.
Information:Total ProPilot Flights: 90
Information:Total ProPilot Flight minutes: 18222 equals to 303 hours and 42 minutes.
Information:Total Extra Penalties:
Information:Total Flight Penalties: 5420.00
Information:Total Online Flights: 90
Information:Calculation: Total flights x 0.5 + Total Minutes x 0.3 - Total Extra Penalties x 0.7 - Total Flight Penalties + Total Online Flights x 0.9
Information:You new FAC is: 172.6

Voilá!