Author Topic: EuroCargo In Focus - The Airbus A310-300F  (Read 6988 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
EuroCargo In Focus - The Airbus A310-300F
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:36:43 am »

Hello again ! This week I'd like to show you around the Airbus A310, our versatile Class 5 Cargo aircraft :P

She's a great medium to long haul plane capable of carrying 40 tonnes of cargo 3400nm and we're lucky enough to have her in two flavours - freeware AND payware ;)

So I'm going to show you some of the features of each version on the ground at our most important Cargo Hub, Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM).

If you weren't aware of EHAM's important role in the world of air cargo, you should look here and you can keep updated on Cargo developments at EHAM here. Scenery of the airport is available here - be aware that the latest version is 21 GB in size but version 2.9 is much smaller !

I'm going to begin with the CLS A310 (available here), a relative newcomer to our fleet and a beautiful model with many detailed animations, such as opening cargo and access doors, airstairs for the crew...

...and a pushback truck...

There is a detailed virtual cockpit to fly from...

and the 2D panel is clear and easy to use with icons to bring up the default GPS and other sub-panels that make it an easy conversion for a pilot used to the MSFS default aircraft...

[img=880x660]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3811/clsa310cockpit01cx8.jpg[/img].

This is a beautiful aircraft to watch from the outside, she is easy to learn and fly (athough I feel the flight dynamics may not be the most realistic) and she is very photogenic...

Now if we compare the CLS version to the freeware HNAC A310 we can see a few differences in the designers' approaches. Firstly, the HNAC A310 is a lovely external model but does not have any opening doors or other non-standard animations (such as stairs or trucks...)

[img=880x660]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3752/a310gnd01ls9.jpg[/img]
[img=880x660]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3030/a310gnd03xy5.jpg[/img]

She also doesn't have a virtual cockpit which is an important feature to some pilots but there are photographic side views to give you some sense of immersion...

Most importantly, she does have a wonderfully detailed and realistic 2D panel with many working sub-systems popup panels...

[img=880x660]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1897/a310cockpit07ia2.jpg[/img]

When power is supplied, from ground power or from the APU (both modelled), the displays burst into life and present the pilot with a vast amount of information (there is a detailed manual included in the download to help you work it all out!)

One of the unusual and very welcome features of this panel is a Flight Management Computer (FMC). This sub-panel uses information from the default GPS to give a very good approximation of the FMC's you will see on top end payware simulations, including route, legs, fuel and perf init pages and a Navigation Display that allows you to display this information via Map and Plan pages as well as the usual Rose/Arc views...

The aircraft's systems are controlled from a well designed overhead panel with a full set of options for fuel/hydraulics/electrics/APU/lighting/ice protection etc...

...which accurately changes as you set up the systems for flight...

In short, the EuroCargo A310 is an ideal aircraft for any pilot - whether you are attracted by detailed visuals or prefer a more complex flight regime, we have an Airbus for you ;D

Why not pop down to Schiphol's Cargo Centre and pick up a load today? We have dozens of flights from EHAM to destinations around the world waiting for you...

Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:17:40 am »
with this aircraft's panel i finally flew without the GPS for once!;D

great review once again! ;D

EHM-2180 Mugur

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:13:51 am »
nice pics and presentation Dominic. Being a class 5 pilot now, I tried the freeware version of this aircraft, indeed the panel and aircraft are awesome. But I have one problem and I cannot sort it out. When I switch on the autopilot the aircraft dives down I dont know why. Even if i set the altitude high and the speed, it simply goes out of control. Do we have any 'chief pilot' on this aircraft to teach me how to use the autopilot? Pls help me fly this beauty!!!!

Mugur

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:59:15 am »
Hi Mugur,

I think I know your problem, in fact after you turn on the AP you should also turn on the two "pitch trim" switches on the overhead panel.

However there are a few more particularities of the AP on this aircraft, that you will discover soon.

And no, I don't claim the title of 'chief pilot' for the A310, I just tried it again yesterday after I first managed to fly it in a decent manner a few months ago.

Cheers
Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

EHM-2180 Mugur

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:23:38 am »
thanx andrei, its workin now, and i inaugurated tulouse-amsterdam cargo flight with this ocasion. Anyway, the navigation system is not very easy and practical tu use. I made some changes and now i have the default GPS on board.
Philip, from now on you can count on me on this division...

Mugur

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:02 am »
Mugur,

That's great news :P Always glad to have new EuroCargo pilots ;)

Have you read the panel manual that is included in the aircraft folder? It explains all the instruments and will help you get the most out of it - for instance the FMC on this plane is just an extension of the default GPS so if you wanted to learn more about Flight Management Computers on more complex aircraft in the future this is a good one to start with...

Enjoy your flights and if you have any further questions let us know :P
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2180 Mugur

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:45:03 am »
Yes, I read the manual but being a paragliding pilot (in real life) i do not understand too much about hidraulics, pumps, valves, bleeding, gpu..etc. Its good cos the aircraft starts with engines on :) .
But i still have a prolem with AP and GPS. I dont know how to set it to follow the flight plan from the GPS. At every waypoint I have to change manualy the heading....

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 10:59:35 am »
Hi Mugur,

Andrei was right, before you engage AP, you need to activate the Pitch Trim system on the overhead panel, next to the Yaw dampers. It is just a sign to the hydraulic system you need energy from there. You can turn it on even at startup, and keep it ON until shutdown ;)

Unfortunately we do not have chief pilots for types, but it is a nice idea that we were already thinking of. So, if you have questions just ask here, or in e-mail, and you will get the answer ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:41:18 pm »
Just finished another flight with the A310, so information is all fresh for me: in order to follow the planned route automatically, you need the following settings:
- the VOR/NAV/ILS switch (left side of the AP settings) must be in the "NAV" position;
- the AP should be properly engaged (but this was the other discussion above :) )
- the AP function "NAV" must be engaged.

Now a few warnings :)
- NAV function does not follow VOR radials (use "V/L" for this)
- some AP functions need other functions to be disengaged first (for instance when switching from headind hold to ILS follow)
- NEVER EVER disengage both ALT and LAND with autothrottle engaged (try it or trust me :) )

I think I will fly more of this aircraft in the near future, so I may find out more do's and don'ts.

Happy flying
Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

anything