Author Topic: Loss of Internet connection  (Read 13019 times)

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Loss of Internet connection
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:47:53 am »
I lost a 6hr Propilot flight due to an alledged loss of Internet connection, I do not know how this is supposed to have happened because my Modem leds are on solid and I can see the data transfers taking place every 30 seconds. Can anyone suggest what is happening here as it is a little annoying when this happens?. During a flight I do check E-mails and access the internet at times, but surely this should not cause this problem.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

EHM-1944 Jaap

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:36:08 am »
Hi Bruce,
It happened here too,it is just one of those things.
Cheers,
Jaap

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »
I used to do as Bruce's when flying: checking e-mails, news, etc and even entering EH site to check the ACARS. After a couple of times of losing the connection with the FL Acars I stopped doing that. Never happened before. Now, I never do that.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:36 pm »
Shouldn't  Propilot be a bit more tolerant afterall on a long flight  people will want to do other things ie read E-mails etc. The question is can Propilot be made more tolerant?.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:03:49 am »
Bruce,

I don't think I'm breaking my NDA (perhaps pushing it to the limit though) if I tell you that this issue is already well known to the flight logger development team and is being programmed around in the next major flight logger revision which we are working on now.

DO NOT ASK FOR DATES/ETC - it'll be done when it's done and not before.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:17 am »
He he, I will go further in "hoping not to break the NDA" by pointing out that:

1. It is indeed a requested and planned feature for the next FlightLogger to make Propilot flights less dependent on the internet connection reliability;

2. It is HARDLY a feature I could forget about while yestrday I almost lost my place in the Lisbon-Dakar 2008 after having the same problem twice with the same leg. (Eventually, late yesterday evening, my third and last possible attempt for the leg GQPP-GQPA was admitted as PP flight so I'm still in).

By the way, I think that after this mishap I am the very last pilot remaining at GQPA, so if you guys forgot any stuff there, just mention it and I'll bring it along ;D

Cheers
Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:08:07 pm »
Well I think the problem seems to be server side or possibly with British wholesale broadband as I am having terrible trouble with the site as well.... Either something is eating server resources, the servers bandwidth is affected or there is a problem between our UK ISP's and our server provider! (I have tried from a BT based broadband connection, A SKY Broadband and a Plus.Net connection and all are slow today but other sites seem fine.

I have asked Bruno to take a look in to it but in the meantime could you guys let me know how you are finding the EuroHarmony site at the moment? Is it slow to load? Do graphics appear slowly? If we can get a more general report from a few different points around the world we may have a better idea.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:03:26 am »
Sometimes during the last two or three weeks the site is so slow that I quit and comeback later. As I am writing this is okey.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:45:46 am »
Hi Phil,

It may depend on the ISP, personally i find ALL web features (site, forum, FL) very slow since 3-4 days. As far as I am concerned, the site is slow as well, but it's not really about pictures being slow to display, the longest time is between a link/submit and the moment anything comes back.

There don't seem to be significant variations during the day, so anything happened seems to be here to stay :o

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:43:58 am »
I have also found the site very slow, it seems to become worse later in the day, not only is the site slow to download, it also takes quite a while when you try to submit a PIREP.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

EHM-1944 Jaap

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:47 am »
Hi Phil,
Report from the Netherlands:The site is terribly slow.
Cheers,
Jaap

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:53:43 pm »
I have just completed an 8hr flight to be told that I lost Internet connection(again), and it would not be logged as a Propilot flight. At no time during the flight did I access the internet with a browser or E-mail, the only access to the internet was by Active Sky for weather updates. (totally miffed)
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:10:41 pm »
Bruce et all,

Still no word from the big man yet on this, but I really think this problem is server side. Maybe our server needs a restart or something... I will try and get hold of Bruno and resolve it.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:21:53 pm »
OK,

The problem seems to be fixed for now. I have contacted our hosting partners and they seem to have corrected the problem for now. Please let me know should the situation occur again. If the site goes down, I can still get mail at philnutt@hotmail.com or the usual philip@fly-euroharmony.com

I want to keep an eye on this situation as many of us gave up a lot of our hard earned cash for this hosting service and we need to keep them on their toes and make sure we are getting the service we are paying for.

Many thanks and my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:58 pm »
I can understand very well Bruce !
Last weekend I made an online-flight from LPPT - SBGL with FS Passengers. After a 10:42 h  I made a perfect landing in Rio and as I rolled from the end of the runway I crashed with an invisible object on the taxiway - I thought  getting an heart attack !
One day later I repeated the flight and at runway in sight the FS9 closed with "problem terrain.dll"!!  And last at 3rd attemp - I was already at the gate, when sobody got online in this moment at the gate I ve chosen - the next crash - aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!::$@
Somtimes you have to be in a very good mood  not to run amok !!!
In 4 h I will land at Lisboa and I begin now to pray for a save landing and a sucsessful flight - otherwise FS9 will be banished from the harddisc !

All the best for you !
Cheers  
Franz

EHM-2219Generoso

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »
Hi there.. I just lost a pro pilot flight (EHM -1614 lppt-lezl) because the logger said that there was a loss of my internet connection :@. Quite disappointing for me since my FS hobby is  one thing i look forward to for relaxation after work and  it is really frustrating to see a good flight wasted because of factors beyond our control (internet connection quality).

I hope that the next version being developed will enable flights to be recorded even without the need of being online. The need for a connection being so only when the logger sends the data to the propilot server.

regards,
Generoso ;D

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:14:20 pm »
Generoso,

Welcome to the forums firstly. I appologize for ProPilot causing you to get frustrated.... Now please allow me to answer your concerns.....

1) At this time, ProPilot needs an active internet connection, it is explained in the documentation that this is the case. This is to avoid tampering and so we can be sure of the data's accuracy and that all crashes etc. are properly recorded. There would be no point to Pro Pilot if you could just "Delete" your bad flights and not send them.... We are working on a way around this for the next flight logger but this is some way off I'm afraid.

2) Your flight was not wasted..... If you processed the flight through flight logger, your flight hours will have been added to your account you just did not get scored on the ProPilot system for the flight and you will still be at the departure airport for the sake of your next proPilot flight.
If for some reason you did not process the flight and quit the Flight logger before the data was sent, you can file a manual PIREP to have the hours added. Please let me know here what the flight number was and the approximate time an date of the flight and I will double check they are added.

Please don't get disheartened by this, problems occur from time to time but you will never loose your flight hours because ProPilot could not process your flight.

Stick with it and I suggest you check your connection to EuroHarmony during the flight by making sure you can get the web page up before during and after the flight..... By doing this you are also confirming the EHM server is connected!

Good luck,

Phil
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:25:35 pm »
You can always just send a Pirep if Flogger doesn't log it. That's what I do

EHM-2219Generoso

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 12:49:41 pm »
Thanks for your replies. Actually what I meant was my flight not being recorded as a pro plilot flight though being recorded as completed flight by the logger. This I noticed because it already  happened once or twice during my first flights here.

Anyway, its good to know that you guys are working to solve this problem. The euroharmony page sometimes loads slowly here even if I am using a fairly fast broadband connection (I live halfway around the world from you) and I sometimes notice the flightlogger not responding when I click on the taskbar tab (probably busy trying to connect to server).

I will try to schedule my flights during the time the network isnt  too busy to lag the fightlogger. Hope to get in more pro pilot flights (the reason why i considered joining this great  VA)

regards,
Generoso ;D

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:48 pm »
Thank you Generoso.

We are doing our best to keep ours servers all time alive, but unfortunately we are also developing some new projects there that is keeping it a little too busy...

Regards,

EHM-2219Generoso

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 04:59:00 am »
:@ auggghh! flightlogger hung up on me again. there goes another pro pilot flight  ...  sigh...

EHM-1944 Jaap

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:17 am »
Hi Generoso,
As a "big" user of propilot I hardly experienced your problem.(it happened once or twice here with the old server)
Can it have something to do with your local circumstances?
I can understand your frustration though.
Cheers,
Jaap

EHM-2219Generoso

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 07:02:43 am »
Hi Jaap,

thanks for your  concern.  maybe it does only apply to my circumstances.
After managing to send the PIREP ( after a long wait for the logger to respond to my clicks), I am greeted with .."time between landing and shutdown is too long" or something to thet extent.  Ergo... no flight recorded.:$

Guess its manual logging from now on ...

Generoso

EHM-1944 Jaap

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:08 am »
OK Generoso,
That one is well-known here as well.
Once I landed on 18R at EHAM (the newest runway there and far away from the parking spot where I had to go)
So I took my time but after shut down of the engines I got the same message as you.I still have to discuss this with our hub manager because so far as I know it is not in the handbook.
Greetz,
Jaap

EHM-2219Generoso

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:53 am »
Okay,

In my case, my shutdown was well within the time limit. It's just that the program was probably too busy trying to get the server's attention before it recorded the end of my flight.

Well i guess they're working to solve that too. All the data is stored in the ACARS and PIREP folders anyway.

regards,
Generoso ;D