Author Topic: Retro fever  (Read 4665 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Retro fever
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:08:38 pm »
Here are some more pictures of the new-old baby:

Climbing on a test-flight.

Smoke'em out!

Climbing over the clouds on a sunny day.

Almost on cruise.

...and now start drooling ! Release news soon... ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Retro fever
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:04:54 am »
Those shots look wonderful Robert! What a beautiful predecessor to the EHM Jumbo Jet :P
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
Retro fever
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:08 am »
It really looks great!
can´t wait to see pictures from inside.....
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

EHM-1821 Javier

Retro fever
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »
THAT is one GOOD-looking DC-8!!!! ;D;D;D great job, Robert! ;D

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Retro fever
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:59:39 pm »
Thanks guys ;)

What really bothered me is the size of the windows on this plane. It have giant windows, which makes the plane look small. But not ! It is 5 meters longer than the initial competitor: B707-120 which have some 50 windows compared to only some 30 of DC8 ! That makes a very different lookout of the two same sized airplanes. Well done Douglas ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0471 Peter

• Cruise Altitude
Retro fever
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:34:16 pm »
Robert - simply bravissimo maestro!

Obviously you know how to poison some of us.......This is a small rememberance back to my young ages - and this was the aircraft I flew long ago ( in 1964 ) when I crossed the Big pond from Paris- Orly to Toronto- Mc Pherson for the very first time.

Peter LGAV HM

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
Retro fever
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:28:53 am »
Lovely Pictures :P

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Retro fever
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »
Gentlemen, just imagine this lady in EHM livery

"It took us three days to get to Amsterdam from Curaçao and the first night after arrival you were floating around in your bed, accustomed as you had grown to the constant motion through the air.
Of the people who were flying in those days (around 1950), I know of no one who only made eventless trips. No boredom here! Willy once had an engine on fire, just like Olaf Stoop of the Real Free Press. I myself once had to make a forced return to Curaçao because one of the engines had run out of control. We spent the night in the Avila Hotel (much-changed, still kicking), where I saw mosquito nets for the first time in my life and where we hardly got any sleep because a gramophone kept playing a top hit titled, ironically enough, Good Night Irene. There were always such long blue flames coming out of the exhausts that legend has it there was a passenger on every flight by night who warned the stewardess an engine was on fire. And they often were right, too.
Starting the motors took some doing. Dig the guy in the shadow of the wing and the fire extinguisher in handy reach. The engines started whining, then spluttered and banged for quite some time before breaking out in a reassuring roar; this had to be done four times, after which the pilot taxied ASAP to the start of the runway where you were treated to the procedure that is almost invariably described as "warming up the motors". It was not; in a place like Curaçao, the crew's main fear was that the engines would overheat. This is why aircraft were parked nose upwind there until at least 1995, when some wise guy finally figured this did not matter for jets, and they stopped turning whole wasteful circles on the tarmac. The ritual at the start of the runway served to check the magnetos, the ignition system. You bring a motor up to full power and switch to the spare system; the motor has to keep running smoothly or you'd better not take off. Repeat for all engines."

Foregoing excerpts from:
http://www.vrcurassow.com/2dvrc/sscuracao/connie.html

Some memories, isn't it?  Hi Jaap, are you there?

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

EHM-1944 Jaap

Retro fever
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:28:58 pm »
Hector,I can confirm it all.I experienced the big flames from the exhausts,especially when the flight-engineer was playing around with his toys.
The advantage of the not so perfect engines of those days were longs stays in cities as New-York and Montreal,when something was wrong (and that was often the case) So they took us around for a sight-seeing tour while the mechanics were working at the problems.
If you were interested you were always allowed to sit in the cockpit if possible.My last flight back to Holland was with a Superconnie,only a few passengers,so I sat there in the right chair for a long time ,when we were over the ocean near Santa Maria when the sun came up.
You will never forget such an experience.
We have still one Connie here at Lelystad Airport in full KLM colours,in the museum there,and when I see her it is if you meet an old friend,just because you share so many special moments.
So perhaps we can fly one day this plane for EHM .