Author Topic: My travel to Münich  (Read 4908 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
My travel to Münich
« on: February 03, 2008, 06:07:47 pm »
Hi mates

It does not happen to me very frequently that I have a chance to travel by airplane. Last time, it was 7 years ago, which was a 3 monthes training in Korea.

And now, with my current company I was sent to a business trip again. I had to travel to Münich for 2 days. I did not know too much about the airport, only it is very modern and very new... the story of the airport was totally the same as with Kai Tak. But the new airport is just as successfull as the new Chek Lap Kok, which is now world's best. The 15 years old new Münich airport is currently known the best in Europe.

I was amazed with it, and tried to spend as many times there as possible. It was a very nice experience, and I thought I share it with you in 2 stories. I know many of you are a more frequent flyer than me in real world, but maybe it will be a nice story anyway to everybody, because it is presented from the passenger and not from the pilot side ;)

1. EDDM Münich uncovered
2. Preparing the longest Airbus

I hope you enjoy reading them ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
My travel to Münich
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:27:59 pm »
Hi Robert

Nice story! Munich is a really big and fascinating airport...
I´m there for about ten times a year just to look around and spot some planes. Every time I discover something new.

If you´re coming here next time, don´t hesitate to call me, I can try to give you a guided tour round the airport and the city.

If you had gone to the "visitors center" (the place with the vintage planes) you can see almost the whole old musuem - fleet. Theres the DC 9, the JU 52 and the most impressive one is the Super Constellation (I hope, we will have it in the museum fleet one day)

Kind regards

Manuel
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
My travel to Münich
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »
Thanks Manuel !

That sounds great. Well, to be honest I forget we might have German pilots from the region. d**n, I missed the Visitors Centre ;D Next time I will take my camera too then. I just hope there will be next time.

I love the Connie too. I have a very nice FS model of it and flyed her some times. Very nice aircraft. Although I was said it was the turboprop that the traveller hated for flying at turbulence level, but loved for first possibility of real "fast" intercontinental flights.

BTW, how can you discover the airport ? Do you use to check it from inside, or only outside from spotting places ?

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
My travel to Münich
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:03 am »
Hi Robert

I hope so, too.

With discover i mean sometimes I´m just walking through the terminals or the compound and I see some interesting places to spot or some shops where you can buy pilots accessoires, i´ve not seen before. Or just funny advertises or something else.

Did you see the palm trees in the Hotel Kempinski at the MAC. These are the highest palm trees standing in a hall worldwide.
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
My travel to Münich
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:40:59 pm »
Nice stories Robert

I have a special feeling for the city of Munich because it was my first trip abroad, I spent one month on training there back in 1992. And I really liked this city.

Unfortunately the new airport was still in construction at that time.

And, most unfortunately, I saw no airport at all because I had to travel by train due to some date mismatch with my visa.

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
My travel to Münich
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »
Bad luck Andrei. Maybe sooner or later you will have again an opportunity ;)

It was very strange to see and compare a Southern city with a Northern one. Like, I was last year in Hannover and Hamburg, and those are totally different from Münich...and I guess I could check this difference at other Southern towns as well. But it was interesting, when I was walking in the city at night and got out to a large modern part of it with a square, I almost felt myself home ! ;D

Unfortunately I did not see those palmtrees. I did not walk into the hotel, I kept "outside" under the glass roof, and was trying to collect my chap from the ground ;D

EHM-2079 Carel

My travel to Münich
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:42:24 am »
Robert,

Thanx for promoting this great airport.
Originally I'm from the Netherlands but I'm living here in  Munich for four years already.

I'm working on the airport as a Avionic mech for Air Berlin (used to be LTU)
And I also think it is one of the best airports in Europe.

As Manuel already told you, next time don't miss out on the vistors center. You can even take a busride through the airport. (passing by the old LTU hangars where I work) :>

Next time ask your bosses if you can go when the Oktoberfest is there. Alot more fun having a meeting when beer is around. ;D

Carel

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
My travel to Münich
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »
Thanks Carel,

that is nice. The company is used to get involved in the Octoberfest, mainly because our main boss is from Freystadt, Bayern ;) But unfortunately I am not in a so high position to be able to join them on their visit ;D

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
My travel to Münich
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 03:18:59 pm »
Robert, simply tell your bosses, that only you know the best Oktoberfest guides and culinary consultants all over bavaria..... ;D ;D ;D
And only If you are with your bosses, they will be able to meet these experts.....
Do you think so, too, Carel??
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507