Author Topic: X winds at Hamburg this weekend  (Read 5229 times)

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
X winds at Hamburg this weekend
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:53:44 pm »
For those that did not see this:

This was the result of a crosswind landing at Hamburg this weekend!!!!!

See the video
Here

Or heres a nice dramatic shot of the.... well it wasn't a landing and it wasn't a missed approach cos it hit so I guess it's a touch and go but I thought you were supposed to just touch the gear down not the wings! :)!!!!!

These images and videos are courtesy of a post in the Virtual Pilots Association forums.

A lucky escape for some fortunate DLH pax! Nice recovery captain!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:26:50 pm »
There is no better way to fly ! ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:16 pm »
Anyone know what was the wind like at the moment? I heared figures around 120km/h...

EHM-1982 Carlos

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:48:10 am »
Originally posted by EHM-1001 Robert
There is no better way to fly ! ;D
 ;D;D;D

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:45:35 am »
Originally posted by EHM-2155 Mariano
Anyone know what was the wind like at the moment? I heared figures around 120km/h...

Hi Mariano

This day was very stormy all over germany.
News said that there were gusts between 120 up to 200 km/h.
I think the people aboard were really lucky and the pilot did a very good job avoiding a disaster.

Kind regards

Manuel
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:59:44 pm »
I saw this in the local newspaper today and heard the left wing scraped on the runway, now i see the damage :o

looking at the pictures above, i'd say airbus may just have had a new winglet design to test, the "Folded Wingtip Fence" :]

EHM-1612 Paolo

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »
I went to Madrid during this week and on saturday night we had the flight from Madrid to Malpensa here in Milan, we experienced very scary turbulences, luckily for us, they finished on final :P
However, that video is scary I'm asking myself why the tower cleared them for landing...they should have diverted somewhere else...:%

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:31:15 pm »
Watching the video, you can see that the wind is gusting stronger during the final seconds of flight, I am no professional, but I think that pilot should have declared a missed approach way before they touched down.....

He/She was having to apply more and more rudder in the final seconds of flight to get that plane flying in a straight line, I am sure he would have been looking out of the side windows to see the runway!!!!!

There were wind shear and severe weather warnings for Hamburg as well as many other central European airports over the weekend and I am pretty sure the wind shear warning would have been sounding in the cockpit. It would seem that the pilot either did not have the information or chose to ignore it, either way, that plane was way too close to disaster.

The aircraft landed shortly after on a different runway at Hamburg so yes, do we blame ATC or the Pilot???? I am sure one of them will be getting the blame in the coming weeks! The only thing we can be sure of at this time is that the plane should not have attempted to land on that runway at that time, IMHO there is no excuse for coming that close to loosing an airframe!

Like the recent events at Heathrow with the BA 772, the Pilots are being hailed as hero's but this may change after the official reports come out!!!!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-2066 Miguel

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:38:45 pm »
everyone look well at the second picture....look at the rudder, he's turning right to counter-act
that's how he managed to avoid the disaster

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:19 pm »
Thanks Miguel! I was watching that video quite alot and I thought he got out of it by severe steering, which seemed unlikely:{