Author Topic: Saitek Throttle quadrant problem  (Read 3589 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Saitek Throttle quadrant problem
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:18:50 pm »
I am experiencing some weird behaviour with my new Saitek throttle quadrant.

When I use the calibration applet I see it properly detects the entire range (0-100%) for each of the 3 throttles.

However, in the flight simulator I was noticing that sometimes the a/c where having trouble taking off. To my surprise I noticed that when I set my Saitek throttle (cockpit) to 100% using the lever, the actual throttle handle on the cockpit and the instruments only show about 67% thrust.

The only way to get the 100% when the levers are at its maximum is to press the F4 key (maximum thrust) and then you see the virtual cockpit and instruments showing 100% thrust.

Likewise if you move it down a bit from 100% (physical lever) then the instruments/cockpit shows it dropping down to around 67%.

Since the applet detects it right I figure this is a simulator problem. I checked my Sim settings and noticed both throttles had a rather large dead zone setting. I thought that was the problem and set the dead zone of each lever to 0. Unfortunately the throttles still exhibit the same behaviour.

If the h/w was damaged then the calibration applet would not be able to show the 0-100% range. Could this be an FSUIPC issue? I can't explain why it happens.

Hopefully the Virtual Avionics Engineers out there can diagnose the problem.

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:52 pm »
Hi Didimo this is known to happen in some cases (ERJ 145 comes as an example) whereby you have throttle profile settings like T/O G/A, CLB, CRZ etc.
If the wrong setting is chosen then max power will be translated to the max. available by the profile.
F4 however, overrides this thrust profile setting and so you can achieve the 100% thrust.

This is mostly a freeware issue although the ERJ-145 as I said also has this. Now that I think of it, the EuroWings 2004, BAe146 is also the same.

Just my two cents.

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:44:29 pm »
Interesting piece of information. I have experienced it with at least one freeware (EuroHarmony Dornier 328) and one payware (Abacus Airbus Fleet).

On the EHM Dornier, how can you actually choose a throttle profile? I normally set the AP altitude and VS prior to takeoff but don't engage it until after I have gone through the SID.

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:39:54 pm »
Normally its a little knob with the settings TO / CLB / CRZ , Im not familiar with the Do, flew it only once and found it's blue panel kinda weird...