Poll

VFR or IFR - how do you like to fly?

I mostly fly IFR
12 (75%)
I fly some IFR & some VFR flights
3 (18.8%)
I fly mostly VFR
1 (6.3%)
I just fly - what are these rules anyway?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: VFR or IFR - how do you like to fly?  (Read 6585 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:41:58 pm »
For this week's Pilots' Poll I'd like to find out how many of you like to fly purely IFR and how many like VFR flights and the reasons why...

So please let us know whether you keep yourself purely in the left seat of a complex jet at FL360 or if you like to spend your time exploring the scenery of Europe at 3,500 feet.

What do you see as the attractions of these different styles of flying and how often do you switch between them?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:56:01 pm »
I fly mostly IFR myself but have done a little bit of VFR work recently and am getting to like it.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:22:28 pm »
I mostly fly IFR... Dunno the real reason, I like it, reminds me of travelling, something I love to do.
Id like to try VFR but for that Id like to get a machine good enough to run FSX and get some nice scenary/mesh addons for it... till then Im stuck with high flying on FS9

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:10 am »
For myself, I enjoy the challenge and precision of a full IFR flight especially in IMC (foggy, windy, wet, in fact typical British weather ;D) I think this can really test your control of the aircraft as well as your understanding of instrument navigation techniques!

But I do find it very relaxing to do a typical shorter VFR Tour type flight and enjoy the scenery as I go along, with my feet up on the dashboard...

On that theme Mariano, there are plenty of good sceneries available for FS9 to liven up VFR flying in the older sim - if you're unsure where to find them just ask and we can give you lots of pointers ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:13:32 pm »
Mostly IFR. VFR very seldom and only when there is an event. The main reason for not going VFR is that the default FS scenery is not real. On the other hand, my laptop cannot handle complex scenaries. I am considering to go up and have a desktop only devoted to FS and I am sure I would fly more VFR.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:11:30 am »
I fly both IFR and VFR,  but seeking different kinds of satisfaction.

IFR is fine for the engineer in me, there's a lot of technical stuff, especially when complex SID/STAR are involved, like having NAV frequencies properly prepared, intercept the localizer at the right spot and moment etc etc.

By the other hand, as I always liked finding my way with a map, VFR is nice as  FS provides the biggest map in the world!  It is true that default scenery (and mesh) is somehow dull and far from 100% realistic, but in most cases it may be just accurate enough to provide for visual orientation.

I started the world tour some months ago with a good mind to do it 100% VFR, that is no instruments at all, only bird's eye and Google Earth, and I can assure you it works. I just completed leg 38 (ok, I know there are quite a few still remaining to get to 150) and I am still on track...

Moreover, by flying VFR I get from time to time unexpectedly nice landscapes (even with default scenery), especially in places I do not know anything about. For instance, during the same tour, the Baffin Island mountains in the polar night half-light were simply breathtaking.

And with higher-resolution meshes (a lot of freeware ones are available), it only goes better! The one I have permanently loaded is... Romania, of course, and it is realistic enough that I can recognize most of the mountain ranges, subranges and peaks

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

EHM-2258 Ugo

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:19:21 am »
Hi.

Mostly IFR... But sometimes, I like fly in VFR, with a little aircraft like C172, or DR400. However, I think FS is not good for VFR (Visual References... :$)...

I saw in a poll of French Division that 89% of IVAO's Flights are IFR... :s

Regards,
EHM2258 Ugo ;)

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:18 am »
Mostly IFR, but occasionally I'll indulge in a nice VFR around the Greek Islands ;)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:49 pm »
Interesting that some of us would fly more VFR but for the poor default scenery... Personally I never fly anywhere without checking whether the airport and/or region has addon scenery, landclass and mesh available :P

It's amazing what a difference a couple of addon files make to the world around you so I'd certainly advise having a look at the major flightsim download sites and at this well known freeware scenery listing site before you decide that VFR isn't worth trying! There is a separate page at the last site for FSX users too! ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2258 Ugo

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:40:20 pm »
Agree with Dominic.

I fly VFR mainly in France, with "France VFR" products (Which are the best VFR scenery for me, but so expensive !)... However, I think that VFR is boring more than 30 min :] lol

Regards ;)