4 (16.7%)
Offline with MS default ATC
6 (25%)
Offline with Radar Contact (or similar)
5 (20.8%)
Other choice
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Offline vs Online  (Read 5219 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Offline vs Online
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:59:51 pm »
This week I'd like to gauge your preferences about flying offline or online - please choose the option that matches what you do most often :P

There are very strong fans of each style of flights and this has an important impact on your sim experience so please let us know what attracts you to your choice and what different options you have tried. If there is something that stops you flying online for example, now's your chance to say ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Offline vs Online
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:07:30 pm »
For 20 years I flew off line and by the time MSFS ATC was part of the package I always used this method. I even installed lots of AI traffic and prepared AI FPs.
3 years ago I was able to fly online when I could have Internet 24/7. Ever since this is my preferred method. The only time I use the off line and MSFS ATC is when flying an airplane for the first time and then until I feel I am proficient at that plane.
VATSIM was my first online server. Then I joined IVAO and has been flying in IVAO most of the time. I find IVAO controllers more willing to help and explain things than those from VATSIM eventhough I consider this latter more real and professional.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Offline vs Online
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:15:59 am »
The online flights take a lot of preparation, and that takes a lot of time, at least for me... and thats nothing i got to spare right now, so most of my flights are offline. This doesnt mean I dont enjoy online, quite the opposite. But right now Im a casual simmer... Still I casted my vote for online on IVAO =)

EHM-1821 Javier

Offline vs Online
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:35 am »
I first registered with VATSIM, but back then i had no idea how it worked :]

After quite a long time after registering with VATSIM, i registered with IVAO, also not a clue how it worked till Matt helped me get online (Thanks!)

Eventually, I tried out VATSIM again, now i fly all my online flights on VATSIM (My IVAO account got deactivated last month :]) Prefer VATSIM as i feel it is more proffessional as Hector said. On my last flight with IVAO that i can remember, the atc guy was chatting (i think) with someone in spanish (hence i think ;) ), couldnt get a break to transmit anything :]

Ever since i came online, i've left the old MSFS ATC except for random flights where i fly the plane inverted :];D

My vote goes to VATSIM!;D

Offline EHM-1597 Dan

• Taxi and hold
Offline vs Online
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:03:23 pm »
Hi Dom:

From approximately this  time last year, I started going "online" with Vatsim and only in North America. I am based @ LSZH, but reluctant to fly online in Europe and other Countries going North, East and South of LSZH or any of the other Euroharmony Hubs. I personally prefer offline due to the relaxed approach. When I fly online it is normally arranged to fly with another guy and generally they are shorter flights.

In my case, it is likely an "age thing", I enjoy EHM and having tried a number of other VA's, this remains my favourite. This said, I am looking forward to reading more about the new "Flight School" in the near future and any reference to "online"
training for Europe in particular.

Locally, we are a group of approximately 30 guys, mostly retired and only about 10% fly online mainly due to the intimidation factor or making some basic error. I do fly online when I want but as stated only on this side of the Atlantic.

This coming week-end (May 3), we are having another ATC Training session, put on this year by Moncton FIR Professionals and as a "hand up" for we older guys, our local FS ATC guys are doing up a format for use to further simplify "online" for other folks who want to try it, in all cases, it is Vatsim only and the Moncton FIR Pro's have I believe five or six guys who fly FS2004 as well. Looking forward to this session next Saturday.
Should anything new evolve that may assist others Dom, I will forward the info to you.

Kind Regards

Dan--Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

EHM-1671 Ben

Offline vs Online
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:13:58 pm »
It's definitely not an age thing, Dan ;)

I am reluctant to fly online due to partly to my own fear of screwing up big time and partly to some encounters I've had with some rude controllers.

I'm pretty happy sticking to my own offline world :)

EHM-2029 Sotiris

Offline vs Online
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:52:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

my experience was flying for years offline until one day I discovered the VA Universe and soon after that the online networks.
I too was intimidated and really worried terribly about messing things up and making some very fundamental and 'ridiculous' mistakes.
However, I took the cautious approach, listening first to other people, reading our Online Flying Manual and slowly starting with VFR flights first and then IFR ones.
At first, even though I had a mic I didn't use it. Preferring the safety of text.
That was until I was offered some training. Trust me, everybody knows and welcomes a new pilot and people on the whole are very understanding.
Yes, some hard-headed people do like to stick to those 'as real as it gets' rules spoiling one's fun. But they are few and far between.

At first I was very slow to respond, taking me ages to think the phraseo sequences in my head etc. But within say 10hrs, that was it. I was fluent as ever. It really is easy and simple and remember that controllers are there to assist and help you out. Not to boss anyone about.

Of course, don't expect to turn up for your first flight in the middle of a mega event and ask the controller to be understanding and helpful. It just won't happen when he's also stressed to bits with another 20 planes about.
But visit ANY controlled area under normal circumstances (3-4 other planes) and you can expect people to help you out and accommodate you all the way.

Also, a small remark that you're a new pilot stands you out and you get extra polite treatment and loads of extra patience.

For me, once I went online I never flew offline again!

And remember for those of you that feel intimidated I can assure you it is unfounded. And our training nights will prove this for everyone.
In fact the most difficult bit is getting a correct flight plan together and not the phraseo or anything else.

So my suggestion is lose your fears, choose ANY network and take the plunge!
You'll never look back from then :)

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Offline vs Online
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:44:16 am »
Hehehehe I remember a while back like 2 years ago on maybe my 2nd or 3rd flight online, a french ATC asked me my airspeed which I replied 260.... he told me "sir you're under 10 thousand, reduce to 250"
Yeah embarrassing but teaching at the same time ^^