Author Topic: Joystick or flight yoke?  (Read 7307 times)

EHM-1652 Doug

Joystick or flight yoke?
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:13 pm »
Folks;

After an extended period of absence, I'm in the process of upgrading my computer system.   Presently utilising an elderly Saitek ST290 stick and was thinking of migrating to either the Saitek X52/X52 pro and a set of pedals. My other option is the CH yoke and pedals.

At the moment I'm ultilising FS9 - but thinking about trying out FSX. Suggestions, merits, experiences of the various items of kit appreciated.

In advance many thanks for any assistance given.

Best wishes,

EHM-1652  Doug

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:54:44 pm »
I might be wrong, but I had memories that someone mentioned CH yoke system is not compatible with FSX, it had difficulties during calibration or something...

Anyways, as you can see, I use a simple Saitek Cyborg Gold. It is similar age of the X52, but way not as nice or futuristic. Anyhow, I love it ! With twisting support (not many joy knows this) it is a complete controller system. I configured it for left-hand flying, and I can still use the mouse. I think I would not bother with a yoke unless I do not have a complete cockpit ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:17:40 pm »
I have the Saitek X52 and after having used it for a year I can say that for me, there is nothing else ahead. The twisting handle of the joystick is much better than pedals. On ground, I use one of the rotary buttons in the throttle module for steering, another for the AP and another for TS communications.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:37:37 pm »
I wouldn't know much about joysticks and yokes, personally i would rather a yoke.

I have FSX and it is good, however there are not many freeware downloads and I am thinking of buying FS2004 because there is so much more available to download.

Offline EHM-1507 Manuel

• Super cruise
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:18:51 am »
Hi Doug

I use the CH Yoke + CH Pro Pedals on FSX without any problems.
Flying with a yoke is an experience I never want to miss.

Kind regards
Manu
Manuel Zwikirsch

EHM 1507

EHM-1982 Carlos

Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:42 am »
Yoke for Boeing, Joystick for Airbus ;D

EHM-1671 Ben

Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:24 pm »
Personally, I found that the yoke was a little too heavy on the controls for me to comfortably replace my joystick with it. Could have been simply that the sensitivity was set too low but I'm too attached to my joystick to change :P

EHM-1652 Doug

Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:02:46 am »
Folks;

Many thanks for the time and comments.

Doug R;D

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:24:01 pm »
I used a yolk for a long time, but I use the Saitek joystick now mainly because the yolk is bulky - there's nowhere to put my keyboard, the desk is too small and I can barely see the computer screen;D

I do feel a sense of guilt as a Boeing fan using a joystick, but I also agree with Ben that mine was very odd with sensitivity and while flying you look like you're rowing.

EHM-1821 Javier

Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:15:13 pm »
i thought a yolk is just the yellow part of en egg? why would that be bulky :];D

I'm using a yoke (Im an airbus guy;D), yea its bulky but im used to it

i'd use a joystick for flying airbuses and a yoke for boeings and others but:

-my old joystick has problems
-if i got another joystick, it would have to be left-handed to be the captian of my airbus and also use my CH Throttle Quadrant
-i would have no space for my keyboard on my desk.
-i dont think i'll be allowed to buy another joystick anways :]

if i get that joystick, my cockpit would be more or less complete :];D

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 09:55:42 pm »
I got the X52 cos after going throu so many joysticks with very rudimentary throttle controls I decided I wanted a nice throttle, and although simplistic (one throttle for 4 engines can be simplistic) it does the trick very well and helps a lot in the landings. I agree the twist handle is one of the most robust I have come across (i used to dread joysticks with twisting handles cos sooner or later they just felt all lose and wiggly).

I give thumbs up for the X52, I have no idea how a yoke feels...

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 06:04:16 pm »
I am the (so far) proud owner of a CH Products USB Yoke and CH Products Pro Pedals USB which I use in combination with the Saitek Throttle Quadrant (USB).

I only few a few hours worth of air time using the joystick (actually a gamepad). I found it terribly unsuitable (if you are serious) for properly controlling the a/c. Could be better with a bigger joystick, the gamepad thing just wibbles too much on your finger and is tiresome.

Anyway, if you are an Airbus driver you probably want to go for joystick for realism. Otherwise I recommend the YOKE :)

It is such a multifaceted control (the yoke) for both small planes and large a/c like Boeings and is a realism boost.

I have used this setup successfully in both FS9 and FSX. The only problem I experience (oddity is a better word) is that the SAITEK throttle will never give you full power even when the throttle is 100%. Apparently this is due to the a/c itself, and in some ocassions I have found myself using F4 to get a boost otherwise the a/c would just go to the end of the runway without taking off at full throttle. Anyway, that rarely happens.

If you ask me, go for the CH yoke. don't know about Saitek pedals but I am fine with CH. The Saitek throttle is more realistic than the CH version. I THINK (but might be wrong) the saitek yoke has less buttons than the CH counterpart.

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:17 pm »
I own both the X52 and a set of ch yoke + pedals and saitek throttle quadrants (2).

IMHO the joystick doesn't touch the yoke and pedals for "feel there" and control. Joystick is of course much more responsive - which makes it easier to fly with a yoke, because you have more fine control.

Pedals for rudder 110% even if you have a joystick (X52), I'd recommend locking the twist and using pedals. Feels right.

The saitek throttles are great too because of the decent movement and chaining together for independent control of engines.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

EHM-2029 Sotiris

Joystick or flight yoke?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »
So, to recap what you need is Saitek's combo X-52 with rudder pedals :]

Seriously though, the profile editor of the siatek allows to have a completely different configuration to suit each of your birds. And if you ever used a Wilco Airbus, a PMDG NG and Captain Sim's C-130 you'll realise just how vital is this ability to customise stuff.

In the end though, it's down to major things: Personal Preference and Budget.

The choice is yours

anything