Poll

Do you like surprises..?

I don't like surprises!
2 (11.1%)
I use Real Weather as it keeps me guessing...
8 (44.4%)
I program random failures to test myself.
1 (5.6%)
I use lots of AI so the skies are busy...
3 (16.7%)
I use FSPassengers in War Mode!!
1 (5.6%)
Other - please explain below...
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Do you like surprises..?  (Read 4506 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Do you like surprises..?
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:05:45 pm »
This week, I'd like to know whether you like to set up every detail of your flights, so you know what's coming, or whether you like a little surprise from time to time.

Please let us know what kind of features you use to keep your flying unpredictable, if this is your option ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:24:16 pm »
I use real weather, so i never know whats waiting found the corner :)

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »
I chose other, but just cos i wanted "all of the above" :P

Been using FSPassengers for a while, created a Euro Harmony airline there and am having a lot of fun, it adds a kind of role playing, strategy fun to flight sim. Also have installed a lot of AI packages from different sources and my airports are normally at least populated (check the shot)
Also two flights ago I was coming down to Kano, Nigeria, when the war little message appeared on the FSP window... Just into my first minutes of my initial approach I lost an engine and main electrical systems. This ended up being a 1 engined visual approach, which surprisingly was smoother than my normal landings :$ - like 170 ft / s at touchdown if I recall correctly -

I also use real weather, but its really.. kind of inaccurate... as how it depicts winds specially. Normally theres wind at the airport you're departing from, then from an altitude on the wind disappears, and you cruise really calmly with winds at 0, which rarely occur in real life. Then you're approaching your destination and BAM winds are back, but not untill you're in final approach and you have to correct a lot and your passengers are thinking "WTF mate".

Does anyone know of any program to get a better weather with realistic stuff like evolving rain, storms, winds at altitude, snow... kinda what you get at IVAO... for FS9, and freeware if possible?

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:23:01 pm »
I voted for "no surprises, thank you" and I expected to be the only one but no... now THIS is a surprise!

Now to detail my brutal answer ;D I don't like surprises indeed because I like the planning part, especially if this involves maps or charts of any type :) . And surprises have the bad habit to turn a smart planning void.

A few words about the suggested sources of surprised:

Real weather should be a nice feature but transitions between areas with different weather are anything but nice. It is just too easy to get into a stall or overspeed with no warning at all, and this is annoying, especially for PP flights.

However, as fair weather is rather dull, I mostly fly using one of the standard themes in FS ("gray and rainy" at this very moment). This provides realistic weather without unrealistic changes.

Technical failures... possibly the only thing I hate more than surprises. As an engineer, of course.

Busy AI skies... I tried this and I don't find it surprising, but rather stupid. Yesterday an AI aircraft (with the blessing of AI controller) crossed the very runway I was cleared to take off from just in front of me, it was a VERY near miss. I don't know whether AI is much better in FSX; if it is, it would be a serious reason for me to switch.

FS Passengers... Heard a lot about it looks like something I could try... one day.

And finally, I think there is one important "surprise factor" missing from the list, and I mean online flying. While online I don't like surprises either - but at least I tolerate them!

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

EHM-1671 Ben

Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:42:52 pm »
I don't like surprises because (much as it makes me sound like a bad pilot!) I fly for the fun of it and I'd get pretty stressed having an emergency on board/outside the aircraft and having to make an urgent landing instead of getting to my destination.

I get enough excitement playing Combat Flight Simulator ;)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »
I voted other because my way of getting a suprise is through flying online!

There's always either an incompetant air traffic controller, a mad pilot, plenty of planes to fill the sky and unpredictable weather!

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:07:29 pm »
SURPRISE!!!! I use real weather and can't have enough of it! night flying is exciting but you don't see anything, not even the bad weather.

Nothing like breathing some relief like "at last, landing and watch TV or go to bed" only to find that it is rainy or clouds are hanging low on your destination, keeping you guessing whether you will finally see the runway (or a tree) and that magical moment when at last the long strip opens up and lets you know you are welcome if you have not missed the approach already :)

I don't do random failures, specially if using ProPilot!!! beside IF I understand correctly Flight Logger in PP mode MAY induce failures depending on how close the a/c is to the new next virtual maintenance cycle. Well, at least that is what the instructions say.

EHM-1343 Jonathan

Do you like surprises..?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:36:27 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1883 Matt
I voted other because my way of getting a suprise is through flying online!

amen to that one Matt, theres allways something that will pop up to make things fun!