Author Topic: The end of the DC-3..?  (Read 3481 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
The end of the DC-3..?
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:48 am »
Last weekend I was lucky enough to take a flight on a real DC-3, one of the "Farewell Tour" flights run by Air Atlantique. For those that aren't already aware, the venerable DC-3 will be banned from flying in European skies from the end of July due to new passenger safety rules which require facilities that cannot be reasonably added to a vintage aircraft like the Dakota.

The flight was fantastic, especially as they left the cockpit door open so we could all see the pilots at work! So I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of this wonderful plane and encourage any of you that haven't seen one for real to catch them now before they disappear from regular commercial use, for passengers anyway...

For more details of the Farewell Tour schedule, see http://www.classicflight.com the website of Air Atlantique, who fly many different vintage aircraft :P

I'd love to see pictures of other unusual aircraft any of you have taken flights on... ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
The end of the DC-3..?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »
I must say, you're so lucky to be able to go on a flight with a beauty like this. I can't ever go on an old vintage flight because you can barely get my parents into a bus without some hassle about safety!;D

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
The end of the DC-3..?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:37:38 pm »
The very first time I got onboard an airplane was the DC-3. I was almost 8 years old (1949) and from that day I knew I was going to be a pilot. I was lucky to have been in many flights as I grew up since it was the only aircraft in Venezuela's airlines at the time like Aeropostal, Avensa and Taca (nothing to do with the actual Taca airlines from Costa Rica). My uncle was the owner of the land where the old Las Piedras airport (LSP then SVJC today) which was later moved to another nearby location. On top of that several family members were tower controllers in two airports so I just went there and took free rides. Afte becoming a pilot I was very close to be the cockpit in one beautiful DC-3 owned by Creole Petroleum Corporation and was about to be acquired by Shell de Venezuela after one of its DH Heron had a gear-up landing in the old Grano de Oro airport in Maracaibo. Unfortunately the conditions imposed by Creole were not accepted by Shell. We are lucky that here in Venezuela we have several DC-3 that are mostly used for scenic tours specially to the Angel Fall which is the highest in the world with 3000 feet. I hope that it will never be banned here for flying. It is a beautiful ride to the past.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

EHM-1821 Javier

The end of the DC-3..?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:40:41 pm »
Its a shame to ban such a historic aircraft from flying, i have not even got close to any of these old classics or anything even near its age! :%

Oh well! :]