Author Topic: The joy of the first solo  (Read 4908 times)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
The joy of the first solo
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
For those of you who are in the process or thinking on getting the PPL I would like to share possibly the most extraordinary moment in the life of every pilot: the first solo.
It doesn't matter whether you can become an astronaut. That moment is unique. It is the first time you are sitting in the left seat, turn your head to the right seat and there is nobody there. You only remember what your instructor told you: remember, the plane is 200 lbs ligther now and she will lift earlier. That's why you have to start descending earlier! The tower controller gives you the authorization to takeoff and you push the throttle of that little C150 up to the dashboard. Only after you are airborne is when you realise that now you are on your own. Once airbone you and only you will be able to land safely. It is now only you and she.
No instructor. No Propilot penalties.
And at that precise moment you feel good. For the first time in your whole life everything depends on you and nobody else. Those are your 15 minutes of fame. You may have others later in your life. But those in your first solo are the ones.
I had mine today 40 years ago.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »
I wish i could experience it, only about 2 more years to go :(

Although a boy died in a disaster just a few weeks ago on his first solo just down the road from, he was told to abort landing and he hadn't been taught what to do in this situation, paniced and crashed.

:[

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:18 pm »
Haven't had my 15 minutes yet, but I look forward to the day;)

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:51:43 am »
Hi Hector,

Congratulations mate. Because you're here writing this to us, I believe everything went fine, at least you still have your hand to write ... LOL .. .. or someone knows your password :o :o

LOL

Now, talking serious, congratulations, and I even got a bit emotioned when I was reading your message.

All of us dream about that day. I have and I am sure I will succeed on it. Even if I have to rob  a bank to pay the PPL bill. ;D

Talking about dreams I also have a ... strange one :o .. Do you guys remember the Greek B737 crash? I wonder if one day I would be on a B737 NG and the pilots fell off ... ;D

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:57:32 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your kind messages. I hope that all your wishes come true. It's a wonderful feeling.
Regarding Bruno's comment, I always have that thougth whenever I board a commercial flight. Would I be able to do something if the pilots got into troubles?

Then I found this:

The legend says: Is somebody here who knows how to play Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 04:20:04 pm »
I always dream about that whilst on a plane, although i'm sure they wouldnt let a 14 year old fly the plane, even if i have got hundreds of hours on FS ;)

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:24:16 pm »
Good for you Hector! I wish i could get in the cockpit soon, gonna have to wait til 2010 :]

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:02:01 pm »
Just following on from the conversation about pilots dissapearing or passing out etc :]

I looked on a page dedicated to cockpit pictures and found the Boeing 767 cockpit, I will be flying in a boeing 767 cockpit to mexico soon. I can't believe how similar it is to the FSX cockpits. I feel safe knowing I could take the controls of this aircraft and land it safely, hopefully ;)

Offline EHM-2222 Cheuk

• Ready for take-off
    • Torzer's weblog
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 01:18:37 pm »
I'm looking forward to have my first solo too, though my ambition is to be an aerospace engineer or any kind of engineer that's related to aviation. But I'm only 15 this year, I have to wait for a few more years to feel the 15 mins of my fame... :[

anything