Author Topic: To Fly the Americas KATL-MPTO flight  (Read 6891 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
To Fly the Americas KATL-MPTO flight
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:43:20 pm »
Now that I can come back to my beloved 737s I was happy to see there is a KATL-MPTO route in EHM!

MPTO is my home airport and we do have a FIR (http://www.virtual-aviation.info/FIR/Panama/) for those interested in MPTO as destination or departure.

Perhaps some time in the future we could organize some sort of KATL-MPTO flight event on IVAO. I am the "unofficial" (given we don't have an active division) coordinator of MP FIR but I think I can enroll the help of my friends from the Colombia division to do the MPZL (Panama Center) and MPTO* positions while we fly.

Anyway, nothing concrete but the idea just popped up in my mind. Will have to check because I think this flight is around 4 hours :(

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:02 pm »
Hum, I guess this hub is dead :( I don't see any activity here :(

In any case with some good time slot I hope to do my KATL - MPTO flight (3:30) as my 1st Class 5 (A320 or B738) and try out my MCP Pro+EFIS.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:19:38 pm »
Hi,

There are 8 pilots at KATL ... Unfortunately our Public Relations Captain got a personal problem and he is "out" for quite some time ... Let's hope we can revamp the hub after August (august is for summer vacations!) :)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:14 am »
I relocated myself to EHAM :-) I live in The Netherlands so that seemd a proper choice as well. Should life return to KATL then they can count me in.

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:06:47 pm »
There are 17 active and 3 inactive pilots whose Country Flag is in the Americas (North, Central and South). KATL is the only EHM Hub in the Americas.
Why we don't relocate ourserves (those who are not) and keep this hub alive?
I have no problems relocating from LPPT to KATL.
However, flights to and from KATL should be reviewed and expanded.
A last (and probably dumb) question:
I am located at LPPT. If I fly LPPT-KATL, the logic should be returning to LPPT and those hours are awarded to LPPT hub.
However, if I decide to fly to other destinations, from KATL as per KATL schedule, these hours should be awarded to KATL hub. Is this true, or my hours are awarded to LPPT hub?

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:07:01 am »
Hi Hector, your hours will be awarded to LPPT hub because you are currently a pilot at LPPT. Similarly, if you were a KATL pilot and were to fly from LPPT to EGLL (for example) your hours would be awarded to KATL.

Wouldn't it be great to see all our North/Central/South American pilots at KATL? ;D

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:41 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1671 Ben
Wouldn't it be great to see all our North/Central/South American pilots at KATL? ;D

100% right!. Who else is willing to?

Also, we need to contact Miguel Coelho for his advice for the new routes to be included in the new timetable as per Bruno's comment.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:15:50 pm »
I will wait a while for the new routes to appear. At this point there is only ONE route to ANY airport in Panama (MPTO) and it is only KATL-MPTO.

I already suggested Miguel some routes to/from Panama that would make flying in the Americas more interesting. When it comes to Panama the main airports (traffic-wise) are in order of importance:

MPTO (airliners) main airport
MPHO (airliners) alternate airport, charters
MPMG (large turboprops, small jets such as Citation, LearJet). Only used for national flights
MPDA (large turboprops), international flights to Costa Rica and national airports
MPBO (small turboprops), international flights to Costa Rica and national airports.

all the other airports can be "safely" left out.

I would fly more there if there were flights to/from Panama to CostaRica, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Mexico, Salvador, Brazil, etc.

In real life MPTO is a hub (of Copa Airlines) in particular because of its central location right in the middle of the american continent.

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:02:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm back after quite a long lay off ( over 1 year to be exact ) and was disappointed to see the lack of activity in KATL. I have since changed away from KATL and have now focused my attention on my new hub at LPPT.

Bruno - I know you say that the Public Relations Captain is away due to personal reasons but why has there not been a temporary replacement been put in place for the time being so as to focus on the problem of KATL? I know you say August is for holidays but it is not holidays for everyone and i'm sure someone could have been found for this position.

Maybe the problem is KATL itself? Is this the correct hub to have on the other side of the Atlantic? If it is then the routes to / from the airport would need to be looked at.

Anyway in a more positive note may i congratulate the management on doing an otherwise superb job with the airline and I hope long may it continue!

It's good to be back at last!

Kind Regards,

Brian ;D
Brian McGloughlin /  EHM-1980

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:05 pm »
Idk I think the lack of activity from KATL is due to the fact that many people who live in the United States dont like Europe too much :P So we dont have a lot of american pilots flying for us, wanting to bear the Euro banner...
Maybe if we had a more international hub? JFK?

anything