Author Topic: FS9 time? | IFR flying...  (Read 3106 times)

EHM-0441 Stefan

FS9 time? | IFR flying...
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:01:26 am »
I just finnished the flight B437 (ESSA - BIRK) in a bombardier 850. Its not the first time I start wondering, is the time I get correct or not. 1h and 23 minutes is the block time I got on the pirep but in accual time I've spent like over 3 hours, sure I've done abit of other things and had to pause sometimes so but I'm afraid sometimes that the simulator changes things because of something I do or what ever.

Another thing is I have started doing what I've allways avoided, and its flying IFR, its more realistic in these enviorments so I wanted to learn this. But I often get insecure, I get maybe abit disorientated atleast at first wasnt sure I was guided correctly or even where the airport is... anyway its getting better but the landings are still hard, on a visual with my me deciding how and when basicly I land just fine most of the time but doing it completely by the book IFR is hard.

This time when I got to BIRK I had planned it pretty well except the fact that I flew past the airport totaly because I expected to be told to turn again but it never happend so I flew past and had to turn around and then land, no problem tho because when I got to the runway having it ahead I got clearence and landed. I had full flaps or almost and low speed wich I had prepered along time ago but I was abit high so all that was abit ruined and I had to go down pretty fast and went from doing 175 to doing 220 and didnt get touchdown until I had covered more then half of that runway. I was just floating above and the plane wouldnt settle, its nothing new to me I was simply going to fast but it happens alot to me and I need to do a better planned approach.

So any suggestions, what do you guys do. I have watched some on youtube and from what I have seen most land right at the begining of the runway and make it look so easy.

I filed 2 mistakes on reports too if someone could check that!

EHM-1343 Jonathan

FS9 time? | IFR flying...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:31:07 am »
Well...when i land, reduce speed as early as you can, this means that you can manouver more easily on the glideslope...175kts still seems a bit fast, when I land the 737-800 which is much bigger, i normally land with around 130kts, sometimes even lower...
If you need to loose speed, deploy the spoilers using the " / " key, use them to slow you down and when you reach the speed you wish, simply press the key again to put them away...

To make sure you are at the correct height, use the PAPI lights, the red and white lights at the side of the runway.... 4 whites = too high, 3 whites 1 red = a little high, 2 of each = perfect... you get the idea...

you can see the PAPI lights on this photo here...

anything